K&N cone filters on monsters - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation K&N cone filters on monsters

Has anyone ever done a air box removal and then gone straight to K&N cone filters like the Corse Dynamics kit? I was wanting to free up some more air and really like the look but not liking the price on the CD kit.

heres the link to their product: http://motowheels.com/i-7788067-cors...ntake-kit.html

and heres another from TPO: http://tpoparts.com/catalog/product_...c3f6fae015b2bf

I for one don't really see the point in paying that much but hey what do i know? Edumakate me. Also what is with their "velocity stacks"? where do they go? seems like a gimmic..

Ps i searched as best i could but not the greatest with the google machine.
XD Dutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Velocity stacks are not a gimmick at all. There is very good science to tuning an intake. Many racers will tell you that the center of the carburetor piston should be X amount of from the valve. My old Triumph was said to need the center of the AMAL carb to be 7" or so from the intake valve. The manufacturer could not make the bike like that, however racers didn't care if their custom intakes stuck the carbs out of the fram, that's why on old race bikes you see them dangling out the sides. A tuned stack can replicate that intake by leaving the carb in place. It's not as good as having the correct intake manifold, but it is a good compromise. They really tune the low end portion of the throttle, the first 1/4.

TPO posts dyno runs of their results, how can you call that a gimmick?

The prices are very high as your battery box gets effed doing the conversion. You get a new battery box and new coil holders as the bottom airbox serves as these devices on your machine, I believe you have an S2R800. You need to verify that the kits come with everything, many kits will just assume you are a custom builder and figured out your own trick.

Get a copy of the LT Snyder repair handbook for your bike as he has a great right up of how to do the conversion and why to do it, and why not to do it.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Caferacermike, the stuff i said about gimmic, was to get someone flustered who actually knows something about this . Thanks for setting me straight! But i have a few more questions, I believe you where describing carbys just now about why the velocity stack is important. on EFI models does the stack go between the throttle body and the intake valve? or does it go between the filters and the throttle body or am i way way off. please teach me!

and yes you have a good memory. I own an 800 S2R Fuel injected so the relocation of electronics is not an issue yet, that i know of. I removed the stock airbox and the only thing attatched to that was the ignition coil. Depending on the answer to this post ill see about relocating the battery and junk above the verticle cyl...

Thanks for your knowledge in advance! ps hows the weather down there in Texas? its been about 30 to 40 a lot here in MO
XD Dutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement