FYI swollen gas tanks!!!!! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default FYI swollen gas tanks!!!!!

Hey guys not sure how many of the Ducati's other than the sport classics, GT 1000's and the monsters have nylon tanks. i have a 2005 S2R 800 and just bought it this march. I noticed the frame supports form the gas tank were protruding outwards from the frame. when i had the bike in at GP bikes for certification i pointed it out to them and they put a claim in to Ducati. apparently the ethanol in the fuel reacts with the nylon tank and allows it to absorb water which makes the tanks swell over time. The story i got was ducati was sued over this issue and warrantied any tanks showing this problem. GP bikes told me that they will just send larger frame supports and if the problem persists the tank will be replaced. so anyway I guess i was the first monster to be put through this precess as they (GP bikes) had only done claims for GT 1000's so they had start create a new claim to ducati. So to end this story Ducati has completely covered the cost of a new tank to be installed on my S2R!!!!! Which rocks cause it had some scratches and scuffs on it when i bought it. Just wanted to share this story in case anyone has the same issues and was un aware. I'm new to the ducati world so this might be common knowledge.
Cheers
chezdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My S2R1k is on its 3rd tank and my new tank for my S4Rt is spossed to be here any day. It is the one thing that Ducati just can't seem to unfuck. Or even address at all for that matter. They have to be losing their ass over all these replacements.

If you want "Cars Suck" stickers PM me with your address and I will send you some.

Have
Black 2005 S2R800
Titanium 2007 S4Rt
Was yellow is now Red 1999 996s

Had
Charcoal Gray 1999 900 Monster (Trade for stuff on the house)
Black 2004 999S (Traded for Hyper)
Yellow 2004 749s (traded in for S2R1000)
Yellow 1997 748s (sold)
Red 2008 Hypermotard 1100s (sold)
Silver 2007 S2R 1000(Traded for 996s)
Silver 2002 M750 (sold)

You meet the nicest Hooligans on a Monster!
S4Rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezdawg View Post
Hey guys not sure how many of the Ducati's other than the sport classics, GT 1000's and the monsters have nylon tanks. i have a 2005 S2R 800 and just bought it this march. I noticed the frame supports form the gas tank were protruding outwards from the frame. when i had the bike in at GP bikes for certification i pointed it out to them and they put a claim in to Ducati. apparently the ethanol in the fuel reacts with the nylon tank and allows it to absorb water which makes the tanks swell over time. The story i got was ducati was sued over this issue and warrantied any tanks showing this problem. GP bikes told me that they will just send larger frame supports and if the problem persists the tank will be replaced. so anyway I guess i was the first monster to be put through this precess as they (GP bikes) had only done claims for GT 1000's so they had start create a new claim to ducati. So to end this story Ducati has completely covered the cost of a new tank to be installed on my S2R!!!!! Which rocks cause it had some scratches and scuffs on it when i bought it. Just wanted to share this story in case anyone has the same issues and was un aware. I'm new to the ducati world so this might be common knowledge.
Cheers
Yeah, it's been an ongoing issue with Ducati for a few years now. I have an S2R800 as well and my tank is expanding. I had it inspected and am waiting for a response from my dealers field manager. Advice to you: send your new tank to get Caswell coating before you put any fuel in it. It voids the warranty, but will help prevent the same thing from happening to your new tank. The new tank is exactly the same as the old one, so it will swell again. You can find the terms of settlement on the internet, but basically 18 months from 2/2012 ( date of settlement), Ducati will no longer be required to replace tanks. And, in that period, if your tank is replaced, it only comes with a 6 month warranty, which is BS. So, get your tank coated. There is a bit of good news out of it though, if it does happen again out of warranty, Ducati has kindly dropped the price of monster tanks from roughly $1800 to around $1k or less if I'm not mistaken.
JDub713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nfwb11

Not the best solution but think about buying a second tank and then swap them out periodically to allow the ethanol to dry out and the affected tank to shrink back to normal size.
nfwb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I've said it several times but I'll say it again.

My Paul Smart replacement tank was prepped and Caswell coated by my dealer that replaced my tank, it has several "pluses" and one "minus" on the tank right now. As much as I wanted the Caswell kit to work, it didn't. I certainly recommend trying it because it's all we have, but don't count on it to work.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
I've said it several times but I'll say it again.

My Paul Smart replacement tank was prepped and Caswell coated by my dealer that replaced my tank, it has several "pluses" and one "minus" on the tank right now. As much as I wanted the Caswell kit to work, it didn't. I certainly recommend trying it because it's all we have, but don't count on it to work.
i expected to hear stories of this before now.

i can't see how the Caswell coating can be expected to adhere to the inside of a plastic tank that hasn't been physically prepped. without sanding, scuffing, etching or something to stick to, i just can't believe it works. it's a different story with steel tanks.

my prevention plan? i fill it only enough for that day's ride then put my bike away only after my fuel light comes on. a minimum amount of water-attracting ethanol in the tank when stored, then fresh gas flushes the tank when i ride.

i suspect bikes that are ridden often don't have as many problems since fresh gas hasn't had the opportunity to absorb much water

'08 S2r 1000
'96 900 SS/SP
'02 ST4s (now gone )

IBA 38181
sofadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Race gas helped shrink my tank. Not convenient but some might have access.
Bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nfwb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully View Post
Race gas helped shrink my tank. Not convenient but some might have access.
I put in some race quality gas every now again. But at $9.99 a gallon in LA it gets a little pricey.
nfwb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofadriver View Post

i suspect bikes that are ridden often don't have as many problems since fresh gas hasn't had the opportunity to absorb much water
Ah..... more incentive to ride every day.
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey NFWB11 where do you get your jet fuel from?
Advertisement