How to reprogram new keys - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 04-14-2004, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to reprogram new keys

I lose my wallet everyday and my keys about every other day...I was down to my red key so I went to the dealer and ordered 2 more blanks and had them cut.
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How to reprogram new keys

Insert red key and turn ignition to ON. The lower right display will say Key #1. Turn to OFF. Insert 1st black key and turn ON and OFF. Remove and insert 2nd black key. Turn ON and OFF. Remove and insert red key again. Turn ON and OFF. Note that you must complete this entire sequence within 20 seconds. This may work for you bike also, good luck.

-or-

Immobilizer override
Ducati must have less than full confidence in this new immobilizer, because they provide a manual override. If the orange light nearest the top of the tacho (known as the EOBD light - Engine Operation Blocking Device light?) stays on, the immobilizer doesn't recognize the key. Try again. Then try the other two keys. If the immobilizer is faulty, you can override it with this procedure:

1. Get the "electronic code" written on the code card.
2. Turn on the ignition and fully open the throttle. The cpu has a "throttle position" sensor which is used to communicate the override code.
3. The EOBD light will go out after 8 secs. Release the throttle.
4. The EODB light will start blinking at the rate of one blink every 1.25 secs. Count the blinks and let it blink N times, where N is the first digit in the electronic code. After reaching N, open the throttle fully. The EOBD light will acknowledge by staying on for 4 seconds. When it goes off, release the throttle.
5. Repeat step 4 for each digit in the electronic code.
6. On the last step, when you release the twistgrip, the light starts blinking faster, at one blink every half second. That means you can now operate the starter.

If you go wrong at any stage, turn the ignition off and start over again.

I hope this helps...good luck..
dahl_berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
forwardrefresh

I bought a used monster which unfortunately only came with ONE black key and no code card....any way i can get a red key made?
Old 04-15-2004, 05:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I bought a used monster which unfortunately only came with ONE black key and no code card....any way i can get a red key made?
DON'T lose that black key.
Alas, you can't get a "red key made". I was at the shop the other day where an unfortunate customer was having the wires and immobilizer and whatnot changed. The unfortunate client had lost all his keys...

http://www.dbuvens.tk/ ... a page about the modifications to my Monster 750 Dark, about the passion, time, effort, love and money put into il Mostro... Enjoy!
dBuvens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
ducatimonsta900

It all depends what year monster you have, the RED KEY is only for the Anti-Theft immobilizer bikes I believe 99-present. I have a 98 and just bought an extra black key when I was up at BCM only $13. but if you have 99 and beyond I must say that you have a huge problem if you lose that sole black key. You should contact the dealer/person you bought it from regarding this issue. but good luck trying to obtain it...
Old 04-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Just re programmed two black keys from a red

Have been running my Monster 1000 ie 2004 on a red key for nearly a year - bought the bike with 2 un programmed blacks (which had been cut to fit a new lock but not programmed). So I just found out I should really only be using the blacks from my Duc dealer!

Just spent hours reading loads of posts on re programming the blacks from the reds and with no luck after many goes - however, this is what worked for me through trial and error and using info from the posts!

1. Insert red key and WAIT 30 seconds
2. Turn red on and off very quickly
3. Insert the first black and turn on and off quickly
4. Insert the second black (if you have one) and turn on and off quickly
5. Insert the red and turn on and off quickly then remove the red

6. Re-insert one of the black keys and it should start

The secret to this for me was waiting 30 seconds at stage 1 before going through the procedure. Once you get started move swiftly through the process. The digi clock indicates some kind of count down - but on mine you could not really see the count down as you are switching luminated clocks on and off - so just get on with it once started. Worked for my Monster anyway and has saved me 40 - which is what I was quoted to clone each key from the red in the UK!
monstermash1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Having the same problem here ....

03 Monster 620

Somebody tried to steal it from my townhouse driveway. They busted the ignition switch and that's about it. The ring around the ignition switch (or 'halo') was unharmed. I bought a brand new ignition switch from Ducati for like $250.

It came with the code card, red key, and 2 black keys. I plugged in the new ignition and tried all the steps from this thread and from other places on the net. Cannot get it to work.

Would disonnecting the battery or ECM help? Ive tried several things and nothing will get it to work. Fuel pump primes but wont start. Says "maint" on the dash for a few seconds and that stupid yellow light just blinks
repsolracer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermash1000 View Post
Have been running my Monster 1000 ie 2004 on a red key for nearly a year - bought the bike with 2 un programmed blacks (which had been cut to fit a new lock but not programmed). So I just found out I should really only be using the blacks from my Duc dealer!

Just spent hours reading loads of posts on re programming the blacks from the reds and with no luck after many goes - however, this is what worked for me through trial and error and using info from the posts!

1. Insert red key and WAIT 30 seconds
2. Turn red on and off very quickly
3. Insert the first black and turn on and off quickly
4. Insert the second black (if you have one) and turn on and off quickly
5. Insert the red and turn on and off quickly then remove the red

6. Re-insert one of the black keys and it should start

The secret to this for me was waiting 30 seconds at stage 1 before going through the procedure. Once you get started move swiftly through the process. The digi clock indicates some kind of count down - but on mine you could not really see the count down as you are switching luminated clocks on and off - so just get on with it once started. Worked for my Monster anyway and has saved me 40 - which is what I was quoted to clone each key from the red in the UK!
This worked perfectly for me with ONE important clarification:

1) It only works with TWO unprogrammed black keys. I tried with just one, and it didn't work. You need both.

Also, it only works when you do what monstermash says: put in the red key and turn to "ON" for 20-30 seconds, remove and then proceed with the "ON" / "OFF" sequence.
dariusn2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement