How do i take my tach apart? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 03-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do i take my tach apart?

00 M900. One of the two tiny screws that holds the gauge face to the guts of the gauge has come loose, and fell down to where the needle points when the bike isn't running. I pulled the pod off the bike, and have both gauges mostly out of the pod- enough to work on them. How do i access the area i need to? The black trim ring that (looks like) retains the clear "window" i think is either glued in place, or snaps in place. There are no screws, nuts or bolts to remove from the back of the gauge. I don't want to start prying on things only to have something break and cost too much to replace. Help!

Kevin
&quot;The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time.&quot;--HST&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br /><br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; The plane takes off.
Monsterlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How do i take my tach apart?

And another thing, where can i find exploded diagrams of my bike? There was a link posted a while ago, but the search function turns up nada. If it helps, it was a .pdf of the bike, with exploded diagrams and part numbers. Thanks again,

Kevin
&quot;The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time.&quot;--HST&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br /><br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; The plane takes off.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to aram Send a message via Yahoo to aram

I actually had the same problem.....if I'm not mistaken however, the instruments are sealed, and therefore, you won't really be able to get to either of those two small screws....if anyone has any suggestions (other than get a new tach), i'd certainly be interested as well!
aram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
dougk

Take it to a speedometer repair shop, they have the tools/
knowledge to unroll the bezel and fix the problem. Cheaper than a new tach.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Take it to a speedometer repair shop, they have the tools/
knowledge to unroll the bezel and fix the problem. Cheaper than a new tach.

Ive never even heard of a place like this. Do I just look in the yellow pages?

Kevin
Old 03-29-2004, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
TwinRider

I have the same bike 2000 m900 and had the same problem. The tach is sealed. What I did is take it out of the gauge pod and cut the thing apart with my dremel right behind the face of the outer ring. Not through the cylinder but more around the actual ring, if that makes any sense. Then I was able to take the face off and put the two screws back in (lock tite this time). Then if your needle has fallen off, make sure you plug in the tach and turn your bike on before you press the needle back in place, because otherwise your tach will not read zero when you turn it on. Then I JB welded the face back on. I made the mistake of pressing the needle on and then JB welding it, and then plugging it in, and when I turned the bike on I was stuck at 3000rpm. I hope this all makes sense.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I have the same bike 2000 m900 and had the same problem. The tach is sealed. What I did is take it out of the gauge pod and cut the thing apart with my dremel right behind the face of the outer ring. Not through the cylinder but more around the actual ring, if that makes any sense. Then I was able to take the face off and put the two screws back in (lock tite this time). Then if your needle has fallen off, make sure you plug in the tach and turn your bike on before you press the needle back in place, because otherwise your tach will not read zero when you turn it on. Then I JB welded the face back on. I made the mistake of pressing the needle on and then JB welding it, and then plugging it in, and when I turned the bike on I was stuck at 3000rpm. I hope this all makes sense.
Yes, that makes sense. Its more invasive than i was hoping for though. Any ideas on how these are assembled? Are they glued? Snapped?

Kevin
Old 03-29-2004, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

I actually took the covers off of my tach and my speedo when I first got the bike. There were 4 points of sealing by glue. I put a small screw driver between the 2 and genly twisted/pryed them apart. Each of the 4 points broke away from each other and the lens covers came right off. Then I used silicon adhesive to put them back together. In case I ever have to take them apart in the future, they'll be easy to separate. The only thing you have to be careful of is not cracking the outer ring. Just don't apply too much pressure and watch it closely. If it starts to crack, the glue is pretty strong and move on to another spot.

If you do end up breaking the plastic bezzel ring, you can cover them with chrome accent covers made for Buells. Any HD shop will cary them for about $5 a piece and they look great. Paintable too!

Cheers!

Duc_Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

[quote]I actually took the covers off of my tach and my speedo when I first got the bike.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, I still wasn't able to get the damn thing apart. I found out a new one is $320. Rediculous. These bikes are supposed to be quality, and for the most part seem to be. I find this really poor that this screw came loose and there's no easy way to fix it. Im writing a letter to Ducati.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement