Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

2005 Monster S4R without an O2 Sensor

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  haloguy628z 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Although I have been a Monster owner for more than a decade now, this is my first time posting. I did a search and didn't quite find the information I was looking for.

The short: I have a 2005 Monster S4R that doesn't have an O2 sensor. The bike runs normally even after installing a full exhaust system. Was there every a model of S4R that didn't come with an O2 sensor? Does this mean it may have an aftermarket ECU?

The Long: After previously owning a 620 Dark and a 1000S Monster I am now on my third, a 2005 S4R. I bought it from the first owner who bought it directly from a dealership and hadn't even put 2,000 miles on it. I recently installed a Marving mid-pipe coupled to a 2 into 1 GPR slip-on. I purchased and was planning on installing a Fat Duc to help with any air/fuel issues I may run into until I decided on either a Ducati Performance ECU or a Power Commander III. Both options I have been reading a lot about.

I went to install the Fat Duc and realized that the exhaust system that I removed didn't have an O2 sensor attached to it. Thus, I cannot trace back from the O2 to the connector where I am suppose to install the Fat Duc. I tried to work the other way around but couldn't find a matching four pin connector.

Am I missing something? Was there a model of S4R that didn't come with an O2 sensor? The bike from my knowledge was completely stock, except for some carbon fiber fender pieces. From my understanding, the only way this can be possible is that the bike has some sort of close loop ECU set up.

After installing the exhaust system I went for a long ride and didn't notice any major issues with fuel supply. It ran smoothly, I'm sure the A/F ratio can always be improved but it definitely didn't stall easily nor did I feel the power cut out at anytime. I know exhaust systems on their own may not cause notable A/F issues, my airbox is stock and unmodified.

I haven't noticed any third party modules. Would aftermarket ECUs still require an O2 sensor?

Also, can anyone direct me to where the four pin connector is that connects to an O2 sensor? The stock location for it? In case I need to purchase an O2 and install it myself.

Sorry for the long post!
Eric

See less See more
#5 ·
Ah interesting. I must have a 2003 or 2004 then.

So, would the same ECU options still apply here? Would an exhaust affect the air fuel the same as with bikes with the sensor?

I haven't been able to find any literature about this. Got any direction for me?

Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.