Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Anyone installed a booster plug on a 796?

8K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  bdc2020 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if the promise of a 10 minute install is accurate. It looks like I'm going to have to get the tank off and the airbox to even find where the connector goes. Has anyone added a booster plug to their 696 796 or 1100?

thanks for any info.

#4 ·
What is a "booster plug"?

Being cynical, as we Aussies sometimes can be, it sort of smacks of being just a resistor in line with the air temperature sensor to make the ECU "think/sense" it is colder than reality and hence add more fuel.

I will need to check my settings, but I do not get notifications that someone has posted where I have also posted. Best is to send me a PM to alert me, then I can post what I think, then you guys can decide if you agree or not.

#5 ·
What is a "booster plug"?
I was right to a degree. A "trick" is to put a resistor in line with the negative temperature coefficient (NTC) air temperature sensor. This increases the resistance the ECU reads and adds more fuel because it calculates that the air is cooler than reality.
Unfortunately as the air temp changes this is a rather coarse approach, but it does work.

Having read the info about the booster, they have been cleverer than that.
The booster also contains a NTC sensor. I expect this is in parallel with a fixed resistor to get the resistance to be relatively small, but still vary with air temp.

In my opinion I doubt their claim about its performance compared to remapping, for example with Power Commander and definitely not compared to logging real road data and mapping as I do.

If you look at the attachment M900, which was the first log of jduke's M900 2001 with a DP map.
Scary lean in places and not the same % bad throughout. So a booster on this would add say 5% which would improve matters, but would not bring the map to what it should be.

The other attachment is where we are now with the third bin based on my original 900SSie DP bin file.
A lot better and mostly within 5% of the target AFRs.
It still needs some work (more data) to make it even better.

Attachments

#6 ·
Punch, clearly your method is superior. I wanted to get the bike tuned properly but it didn't seem like there were any resources for it where I live (nashville TN) so the booster plug was cheap enough that it seemed worth seeing if it made any improvement in my below 4k range which is mostly where the bike bugs me. (already did the sprocket.) I have an akraopovic slip on and I'm definitely open to getting the bike tuned properly, but I wasn't sure where to start and didn't realize it might be possible remotely. I'm very intrigued about the idea but I'm not sure where to start. My google fu has somewhat failed me and I don't know if I need a power commander, a rexxer or some combination of things.

Thanks for taking the time to research and reply, your expertise is much valued.

#7 ·
Rather than repeat things, have a look at this post/thread.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...sh-do-i-need-fuel-controller.html#post3049690

Where it links to ducati.ms, the post number is 177, not 247.

The hardware and software side of things is straightforward, the potential barrier is, is there an XDF for your bike to be able to modify the map via TunerPro?

I will do some searching.

Prerequisites are;
A notebook/laptop running Windows. Preferably with a solid state drive so bumpy roads do not shut the drive down to self protect.
An XDF for your bike.
Wideband oxygen sensor (WBO2)- Innovate Motorsports (IM)
Comms cable/adapter - Lonelec, Guzzidiag version to connect the ECU to the computer.
CHIPI-X10 this is to connect the output from the WBO2 to a USB port on your computer.

Donation style software.
IAW Reader, IAW Writer, TunerPro and ScanST 320.

IAW Reader reads your bin file from the ECU.
IAW Writes writes a bin to your ECU.
ScanST 320 is for data logging your ECU and WBO2. As a minimum and what I like to see is TP, RPM, AFR and engine temperature.
TunerPro is for modifying your bin file for writing to your ECU via IAW Writer.

Whilst I have developed my own analysis tool, you can use the free Logworks software from IM.

Rough costs
IM LC-2 with exhaust bung US$ 180
Second exhaust bung US$ 15
Lonelec cable/adapter Pounds 23
CHIPI-X10 circa US$15

Cost of welding the two stainless steel bungs in the headers.
Analysis is free if you use Logworks.

#10 ·
You might regret it!
Options are buy the gear, reach out to someone who already has it or pay for some non-tuning dyno time.
With the first two you will need to get the bugs welded in.

TuneECU does not currently list the 796.

Your model uses the Seimens ECU, so the IAW etc stuff will not work.
Tuneboy lists the M796.
One day Woolich might have it, which would be great as it is extremely good.
I have used Woolich on a Kawasaki ER6 and in my son's Yamaha MT07 with excellent results.

Tuneboy is very good and I have used it in my 900SS, but the problem seems to be getting answers to questions.
I contacted them about me becoming their tech support and got an answer saying they were talking to someone, but never heard another thing.
Unless things have changed, you would need to get experience/info from other people who are using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.