Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

s4rs fan issue

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Heath 
#1 ·
Having an issue with the left radiator fan. It is not coming on at all. The right one comes on just fine at a temp of 220 but if I sit in traffic long enough the temps continue to rise and the left fan will never come on. In testing it out I bypassed everything and wired the fan straight to the battery to test it to see if it came on at all and comes on just fine. I have read on several threads where some people seem to think that one fan will come on separately from the other but in looking at the wiring schematic both fans share the same fan relay power and ground so according to the schematic they should both come on together. Mainly I just need to see if they are both supposed to come on together if so that would lead me to believe I should start to look for some faulty wiring going to the left fan. If they are controlled independently through the ECU somehow that would lead me to think I have ECU problem.
Does anyone have some knowledge that might help me figure this out ?

Thanks

#2 ·
I agree, it does appear both should come on together. If you have access to a dealer you might confirm this with the service department. Sorry I don't have an answer, I'm new to this model as well. I don't get stuck in traffic and I have never seen my fans run. If it were me I'd run a temporary wire from the fan relay and to the ground and ride it . It does sound to me that you're running warm. If this helps you might consider leaving it that way. What would it hurt ?

#3 ·
Thanks, well in traffic it isn't nearly that bad. I noticed the left fan not coming on while letting it idle in the garage just to test them out. The left fan does come on when ever I hook it straight to the battery so when I get time I am going to take a look at the wiring. I just don't see it being an ECU problem if I am reading the schematic correctly. I'll update this after I take a look at the wiring.
Thanks again

#6 ·
Well found the problem it was a tricky one. You can see the positive cable I have pulled out a bit more than it actually was . So the wire had been pulled away out of the terminal but it still had maybe a couple of strands of the copper wire attached. Just enough wire that when I held the terminal in such a way and applied power the fan would test fine. I have since repaired the terminal and both fans do come on together now so problem solved. Hopefully if someone else runs into a similar problem maybe this will point them in the right direction. You have to really pull on the terminal wires to check it because visually it looked fine until I gave the terminal wire a tug than the problem revealed itself. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.