Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

4V Testa timing belts, marks, please help

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  cmross13 
#1 ·
i think i shot myself in the foot.

this morning i decided to change the timing belts on my 2007 S4RS. almost immediately i got frustrated trying to take the vertical timing cover off. i had to cut the fuel lines, remove the fuel tank, remove the battery & tray, and i still wound up cracking the damn cover.

in all my anger and rage, i noticed green marks on all five timing gears and hastily yanked off the timing belts. i was thinking that i would count the teeth between the marks, mark them on my new timing belts, and install the new ones.

after i went out for a smoke and calmed down, i came back in, and realized that the marks are only on the gears themselves, not the actual belts. i think my proverbial foot is now shot, smoke two more cigarettes, come back in the house and ask for help :/

i dont THINK i moved any of the gears upon removal/installation. however, its pretty easy to move one tooth and not notice it, so im asking you guys for help.

do these green marks mean anything? the crank has a green dot on it. the vertical cylinder it looks as if the two dashes would line up facing inwards, and the horizonal cylinder looks like they could almost line up facing outwards. perhaps i did rotate the gear ever so slightly?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Watched a couple YouTube videos explaining something about the three teeth on the cams themselves facing the same direction at TDC? I'm thinking the green dot on the crank pulley would line up with the notch in the case for TDC? Then maybe the lines on the cam gears will line up with something or each other, and the three teeth on the cams will be facing the right direction?

That's what I'm going with if I can turn the crank by hand after I find a socket to get the plugs out....

#3 ·
got the plugs out, only had to "bump" the bike a little in 6th gear to get the crank mark lined up with the dash in the engine case. got the cams lined up like ive found in some pics, and installed the belts. the "right side" cam on the vertical cylinder took some coaxing to get it into the correct position to get the belt on, but eventually i got it. the cam gears on the horizontal cylinder lined up easily.

please note, i realize the horizontal gears are slightly off in the pics. i took the pic, realized they were wrong, fixed them, and forgot to take another pic. im too lazy to go back out and take another one for illustration purposes, but i will once i go back out there...

"reference" images:

Attachments

#5 ·
crudely overlayed some images of mine with others from what ive found online. i dont know how to use photoshop so i simply made red dots over the bolt holes to signify which is mine. using dots, teeth, and the "T"s in the cams, i think i got the vertical cylinder dead on with the comparison photos, but i think i have to rotate the horizontal cams counterclockwise one tooth.

anybody out there with this kind of knowledge?

anybody out there working on a 4V and can take some pics to compare to what ive got?

Attachments

#7 ·
do yourself a favor and mark all 5 gears as well as the belts. then all you need to do is simply transfer the marks on the old belts over to the new belts, match 'em up, and you're good to go ;)

i promise, its a lot less hassle than trying to line up the cam gears and hoping that your ears can hear good enough to measure the difference between 110hz and 80hz

#8 ·
There's a good video on Youtube on changing belts on the Testa: I watched it several times before doing the work on my S4RS and the job went like clockwork. The intake cam on the vertical cylinder will move once the belt is removed, hence the necessity to mark everything first.

Eric

#9 · (Edited)
Sorry nobody could chime in and help you. I only have experience with the single camshaft model. This bike has taught me to take a step back when I feel frustration setting in. Usually I'll go watch a comedy show on Netflix, play video games with the kids, or even take a nap when I hit a hurdle. I come back to the bike refreshed, clear minded, and ready to take on the hurdle. Valve adjustments take me 2-3 days to get done because of this, but it's better than having to unfuck something I did out of frustration.

#10 ·
Yes I've watched the same video, don't really c the need for the whole song and dance with the tension, there timing belts, i work as a mechanic for over 30yrs, i have put a **** ton of timing belts on vehicles and my Gold Wings, if you simply use the rule of thumb with all timing belts you won't have any issues, also re-check the tension after a few hundred miles, you will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.