Need help with a dead battery - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with a dead battery

Hello,
I made the mistake of leaving my key in the ignition in the on position overnight. Needless to say, it drained my battery. The battery tender I have won't charge it up at this point. Any other options out there? Can I charge it by getting a better charger? Can I jump start the bike from my car? Or, should I just look into getting a new battery?

I should say I have a 2012 Monster 796

Thanks
MNDucOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Roll start it!
mtbjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Draining a battery completely dead like that is not good for motorcycle/car type batteries, this you know. How long did you have it on the trickle charger? I would think that being it's a 012 it should be able to be brought back to life. It may not last as long over the years as one never drained, but I don't see why it wouldn't last a little longer. Are positive that the battery tender is actually hooked up at the battery and that the dealer didn't just zip tie the head to the frame? It might take a trickle charger 48 hours to bring that battery back.

Good luck.

If you decide you need a new battery, the lithiums like Ballistic and Shoraii are awesome. They cost just a touch more, in my case $15, than the stocker, but weigh in around 2-4 lbs and shave up to 11 lbs from your bike. They hit like a mule when started the bike. Only drawback, you can't drain them down like you did on your bike. The companies say draining them less than 6v is a death sentence.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, I did have it hooked up to my trickle charger for over 48 hours (which works just fine, I tested it on my car battery) and got zero charge into the battery. I called my local dealer and the service department suggested an actual battery charger...an Xtreme Charge made my Pulsetech. I haven't gone that route yet as it costs roughly what a new battery would cost.

I'd love to get out and try to push start it, however the roads in MN won't permit that for a few more months!!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Are the terminal hookups hooked up well? did you test the battery with a voltage meter after charging it? It's odd that the battery won't hold a charge even if it's just for a couple of minutes.
1UglyBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Terminals seem to be hooked up fine. I have not checked the battery with a voltage meter, I will do that. I can't believe that it doesn't even hold the smallest charge. I'm wondering if the trickle charger I have is putting out enough juice to charge it when it is completely dead.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Not sure what all the fuss about using a trickle charger or a big ol charger as they do the same thing, just slower. I prefer to use my trickle charger whenever possible as it is a more controlled deep charge without fear of overheating/boiling the battery. My tractor has a sketchy battery on it and I've been using a tiny 7 watt 12v solar panel to keep it charged up.

It might be possible that the electrode that passes into the battery has gotten eaten up somehow. I wouldn't think so. That's more of an old style lead acid battery issue and I'm thinking you should have a gelmat battery in that bike.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just in case, if the charger has a 6V and 12V switch, make sure it's on 12
1UglyBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

I checked the battery with a multi meter. It had absolutely zero charge. So I hooked it up to my car battery for a half hour and was able to get and keep a charge in the battery. Seems like the charger I have isn't working.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

A 'smart' trickle charger won't bring back a dead battery. The amount of juice needed is more than the charger can produce and to keep from damaging itself, the charger essentially shuts down.

Use an automatic charger that can put out 10 amps (or more) and you should be able to revive the battery.
2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement