My Baby Has Locked Me Out, Want Her To Love Me!! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Baby Has Locked Me Out, Want Her To Love Me!!

Hello all, new to the site and am very glad to have found you all!

Have a problem ( no really!!).

Long story short and yes I have searched for two weeks now without finding an answer! lol.

Have always loved bikes and bought my first Ducati 6 weeks ago as a present to me, Im nice like that!!
Also have a Yamaha YZ450F, just so you know that I have "some" skill with mechanics, lol.

Right the story:

2008 695 monster, 4700 miles. Completely original. (in fact the cleanest bike I have ever seen)
4 weeks ago I changed the Optimate 3 lead to a Optimate 4 tickle lead.
Made sure to change in correct order (can be a bit anal!!)
Bad weather.
3 weeks ago, take beautiful lovely work of art out of lounge, where she lives with YZ450 (see avatar),
put key in, bit of choke, press start, all good.
She says, bit cold lake let me warm up, I say no problem will have a quick smoke.
Approx 1 min later, she dies!!!!!!!!
Will not come back to life, turns over but EOBD light on constant.
She has fuel and kill switch is good.

So 2 weeks later, still no joy. I have no spark from plugs.
Put in key, all dials sweep etc, you hear the set for the pump, have neutral light and oil press light,
but within 6 sec EOBD light comes on and stays on.
Light number 6, the Amber Warning Light is not on.

Have checked all wiring, have tried many different ways to reset with the keys (have red key, code card and 2 black keys)
but to be straight there does not seem to be a definate way to do this from all I can find?

The procedure outlined in the manual to reset the immobilizer, well light 6 is not on and the EOBD light will not go out
after 8 secs?

Must say that I am at a loss as to what to do next, even called my local Ducati and was told 85 to plug it in!!!
Well can buy the software and lead online from Germany for 95, so wont be taking her local.

Any help would be much loved.
thanks
lake
lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dont worry, sorted it!

All good now she loves me again. lol
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

So what was the diagnosis? do tell, even if you made an arse of yourself. It might prevent others from doing the same thing.
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Ducati 695 starting problems dont take your tank apart try the relay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB View Post
So what was the diagnosis? do tell, even if you made an arse of yourself. It might prevent others from doing the same thing.
Good idea, will do!

So this being my first Ducati and first bike with an immobilizer, I thought it must have something to do with that?
Wrong!
Thought it was the fuel pump.
Wrong!
Thought it was the spark plugs or coils etc.
Wrong!

I found and downloaded the 695 workshop manual, will put it online if any one needs it, it use's your browser and is all click able with many pictures....nice.

So anyway, basically had no spark and no fuel, not immobilizer as this will stop all electrical functions from working so bike will not turn over or do anything except flash the number 6 amber light at you. This is not the EOBD light (number 7).

When you turn your key, the dials sweep, immobilizer light (number 6) flashes, EOBD light (number 7) comes on, amongst all other lights but then all except neutral (green), oil (red) should go out.

If after 6-8 seconds EOBD light comes back on then EOBD light is telling you that something is not working.

If your bike turns over it is not the key, not the antenna, not the immobilizer but something else!!!

With mine after many hours I found that it was the Injection relay.

Item number 8 in attached image.
The front one is the lights relay.
The rear one is the Injection relay.

Changed this and she started straight up!!

Only took me about 20 hours........nice!

lake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	695 ing relay.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	107457  

Last edited by lake; 02-24-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Ducati 695 starting problems dont take your tank apart try the relay!

Would actually like to change the title of this thread, if any Mods are about to something like :

695 starting problems, dont buy a fuel pump or take your tank apart until you try the relays!!

Last edited by lake; 02-24-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good work on finding the problem. I'm sure some lucky Googler will be helped by it.

You edit the title of your post by first clicking the Edit button, and then the Go Advanced button.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3th3r View Post
Good work on finding the problem. I'm sure some lucky Googler will be helped by it.

You edit the title of your post by first clicking the Edit button, and then the Go Advanced button.
Thank you my friend, have changed the ones I can but the others seem to be too old to edit!

Such is life, now I have a thread with two titles???
Old 02-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe so, but the information on your diagnosis and troubleshooting will save quite a few others methinks.

God work on resolving the issue. Just imagine what a shop would charge you to fix that !!!
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't know if I spent 20 hours, but it seemed like more. Your post just saved me. Mine was a bad injector relay also. You are my hero!
smoking_angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement