»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil Level

Changed the oil and filter on my 2012 Monster Evo 1100 and I think that I might have overfilled it, when I hold it level the oil on the sight glass is above the marks on the case I think, I have a cf bit covering the marks. What if any damage can occur from over filling? I was thinking of gettting a vacum pump and removing some of the oil.
What do you guys think?

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05281.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	105127  
gmaneod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Drain.

Use the drain plug for the oil screen access hole (Located right underneath the Large Allen cover access plug on the right side of the bike.) With the bike on the sidestand remove the plug and let some oil drain out. Then check level again. Do this until level is between marks! Over filling is not good unless you like replacing blown motor gaskets.
Beezwiz
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok will do, how will I know that I have blown the seals, other then the obvious sign of oil all over the place. Where will it leak from and how much will leak?

Thanks
gmaneod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Never taunted.

The only bike I've overfilled so far was my 1978 Sportster. It just refused to run any faster than 15mph. until I drained out the overfill (About 1/2 qt. too much) Could'nt tell on that bike if I made any new leaks from overfilling

I treat oil changes like surgery. Always do it right.

Wiz8)
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you look at assembly #33 on drawing 010 you will see the crankcase breather valve. This vents any excessive crankcase pressure back into the airbox via the tube #2 on drawing 034. There's an aftermarket kit that replaces all this plumbing with just a small vent. Unless you grossly overfill the crankcase with oil there is very little chance that you will cause any damage, the excess will be blown through oil breather system and back into the airbox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	105162   Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	105163  
tex-mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links