»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ok...I started a thread a while ago detailing my battery issues. Figured that one out or so I thought. Now the bike won't start even though when I turn the key on the gauges sweep really fast and I can hear the fuel pump do it's deed. I measured 13.45 volts at the battery so it should be good to go as far as starting goes.

I rode the bike 2 days ago and let her sit to see if the batt would die again like before so I don't think that's the issue because she started with pretty much the same voltage then.

It has been cold here and at first that is what I figured but thought I would bounce it off you guys.

Thank you for any help!!!!

I still love this bike by the way.

If you want "Cars Suck" stickers PM me with your address and I will send you some.

Have
Silver 2007 S2R1000
Black 2005 S2R800
Titanium 2007 S4Rt

Had
Charcoal Gray 1999 900 Monster (Trade for work on the house)
Black 2004 999S (Traded for Hyper)
Yellow 2004 749s (traded in for S2R1000)
Yellow 1997 748s (sold and the one I miss the most)
Red 2008 Hypermotard 1100s (sold)

You meet the nicest Hooligans on a Monster!
S4Rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

More info.

Does the engine turn over or does nothing happen at all?

If nothing happens at all, check kill switch, kick stand switch, starter solenoid wiring.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

It turns over...once. Just kind of a "Ok I'll try" then nothing.

If you want "Cars Suck" stickers PM me with your address and I will send you some.

Have
Silver 2007 S2R1000
Black 2005 S2R800
Titanium 2007 S4Rt

Had

Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Back to basics, charge battery to full charge, remove charger, wait a day, and see what voltage is BEFORE trying to start bike, if under 12.6, you have either a battery issue, or something is draining battery.

When I have starting issues, I use a voltage meter after every ride, and then again the next morning to monitor the health of the system.

Also check the white connector going to the solanoid, I find it coming loose every so often, and it certialny impacts starting. I'm now at the point that i check it every few rides, just to make sure. Don't understand why it keeps backing out, since it should clip in, but it does. Forwarned is forarmed.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Turns over once and stops, that sounds like dead battery.

My S4RS has an old battery in it. If I leave it sit for longer than about 5 days unused, it will test out at 12V+ but falls flat on it's face as soon as I hit the Hell's yeah button. Horn works, lights are bright as can be, gauges sweep, and fuel primes. If I put it on the trickle for about 30 minutes I can usually get it to turn over just enough to fire. Once up and running it's fine. It'll start the next day no problem. Just don't let it sit for a week or plan on plugging it in.

I need a new battery and I know this, I'm lazy and cheaper than an ethnic stereotype. Right now my disposable cash is going into my new tractor so it will be awhile until I buy a new battery.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thing is I have a new Ballistic battery in the bike. Granted when I was having the original issues it drained it to nothing but it charged right back up.

Have
Silver 2007 S2R1000
Black 2005 S2R800
Titanium 2007 S4Rt

Had

Old 12-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Depending on how they are charged, LiFePO4 batteries can become imbalanced (ie some cells fully charged, some not). Because the cells are in series, they will only deliver at the power of the lowest cell. Without some balancing circuitry in the battery (Ballistic, and most manufacturers don't have this) or in the charger (charging would need to be through a dedicated port with pins for each cell, it is difficult to correct the imbalance. It can be done with a higher charging voltage as you will get a very small trickle passed a fully charged cell if the voltage is high, but will take forever if the imbalance is big. Could be that your battery is effectively dead due to one or two cells down. Not a complete expert on this but will probably buy an Antigravity LiFe battery so have been checking out the known issues as its pretty new technology for bikes and cars. RC model forums have some good info and there is a thread on one of the adventure bike forums. I'll try dig a link out...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you read the manufacturers statements, they all say that if you discharge the battery below 5-6v they are toast. Not sure why since RC cars get beat up every time they go out.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Caferacermike is right, there is no reason why you can't discharge these batteries, in fact the chemistry responds well to being left at less than full charge for long periods that would kill a lead acid battery. The problem arises when an imbalance occurs between the cells. Because of the charging profile of the cells, as they approach full charge the voltage required ramps exponentially, and therefore the current flowing through the cell drops rapidly. No problems in an RC battery where the connector to the charger charges each cell inedpendently via separate pins. However, in a bike the charging is usually done though the two terminals. So if there is an imbalance between the amount of remaining power in the cells, once the first cells in the series are fully charged, almost no charging current will flow to the remaining cells. Again no problem unless the imbalance occurs, but once it does, it is almost impossible to recover via a standard charger through the two terminals. You will notice that Shorai batteries have an RC style charger port on them so that imbalance can be corrected if it occurs, and I think Antigravity also have this system. Not sure about ballistics. Imbalance is unlikely to occur if the supply voltage from the stator is sufficiently high at normal cruise revs, but if it is low, it will not be able to push charge through any fully charged cells into cells that still require charging, making the imbalance worse. Might be worth using a good multimeter to check the voltage to the battery at idle and normal cruise (4500?), and see what is being supplied to the battery.

Sorry, becoming a battery bore because I'm keen to get rid of 2.5 kg of lead and acid sitting between my thighs and want to try the Lithium technology...

AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Did some farting around this morning.

13.02 nothing on
12.51 key on
9.27 pushing start button

I honestly don't know what the hell any of it means but might help diagnose the issue.

Have
Silver 2007 S2R1000
Black 2005 S2R800
Titanium 2007 S4Rt

Had

Sponsored Links
Advertisement