HELP! Problem with brake light... - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP! Problem with brake light...

Okay, so I recently installed a Light Werkes integrated taillight on my Monster 796, and everything worked perfectly. Both brakes activated the the brake light and the turn signals worked while braking; basically everything went perfect. I'd check every now and then just to make sure it was working, and it worked for about 3 weeks. Last week I got a flat on the freeway (not relevant but it's when I noticed) and when I brought the bike home, I turned it on the make sure everything was working properly (I don't trust tow truck drivers) and both brakes won't activate the brake lights anymore. All other electronics work, but just the brake lights won't turn on. Anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem?
DishonestCoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Check the brake light connector plug? It might have come loose. Or check for any wires that might be pinched and may have stripped, or that may have pulled out of the light assembly.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This happens all the time when people do tail eliminator kits. A little search on the forums will give more insight. My guess is the wire to the actual brake light was pinched and the vibrations finally caused it to cut and short. You probably blew a fuse as well.

As said above, trace it out. Look for loose connections and cut wires. Who knows, you may have just had the filament in the bulb drop. You could check it and make sure the 2 wires in it are in good shape.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I checked the front brake light switch and the switch's connection to the light and everything seemed okay. I wiggled it around a little and ALL OF A SUDDEN the brake light decides to work. So maybe there's just a faulty connection. Guess I'll have to check it out more later. Anyways, thanks for the help and suggestions dudes.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default No Brake Light / Tested factory Wiring

I'm having a similar problem to DishonestCoin except I was switching tail lights and I noticed this problem of no brake lights.

I swapped back to original taillight and had same issue. Pinged the wires to ensure continuity. Tested for voltage (yellow wire had 12 volts, ground was good and gray w/red stripe had 12 volts) depressed both brakes separately and no change in voltage

Anyone have thoughts are know what type of voltage I should be getting from each wire.

Thanks
Douglas
douglasc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well my problem turned out to be a faulty light from Competition Werkes, which they warrantied and now everything works fine. I don't know too much about the voltage you should be seeing, but I'd check the brake switches, although I don't know why they'd both go bad at the same time. Sorry I couldn't help more..just didn't wanna leave you hanging..
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasc10 View Post
I'm having a similar problem to DishonestCoin except I was switching tail lights and I noticed this problem of no brake lights.

I swapped back to original taillight and had same issue. Pinged the wires to ensure continuity. Tested for voltage (yellow wire had 12 volts, ground was good and gray w/red stripe had 12 volts) depressed both brakes separately and no change in voltage

Anyone have thoughts are know what type of voltage I should be getting from each wire.

Thanks
Douglas
Um, basically every hot wire on a 12 volt system should carry 12 volts.
Advertisement