Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

false neutral or faulty neutral switch?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DavidK 
#1 ·
Hello all.
I am trying to sort out some issues on a 2001 monster 900ie dark. 14000 miles
at the top of the list currently is the neutral switch. I know everyone is going to tell me not to rely on it anyway. I am a little bit picky about my equipment and would like to resolve if it is a neutral switch. or possibly the gear selector spring and ball.

Here goes.
It seams particularly easy to put it in neutral (ive been experimenting for a while)between 1st and 2nd without having the light come one. I can roll up to a red light and have it in nuetral without the light on. just for fun i will then rev the engine and it seems like the vibration causes something to move just enough to turn the light on.
i can also very easily find neutral and have the light come on. i have been practicing being more deliberate with the shifter but it is tricky to be deliberate in trying to find neatral without bouncing from 1st to 2nd. I believe the switch to be mechanical and possibly spring loaded and possibly sticking.

the only other problem i have found with the transmission is a false neutral that pops up between either 4th and 5th or 5th and 6th that i bump into if i don't clutch in to shift up.

im not sure if this will help but i replaced a the clutch plates and basket (with barnet units) at 10000 miles and the old setup was beat. I bought the bike with 9000miles on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Both of those are common problems. I quit trying to keep my neutral light working years ago. The 4 to 5 false neutral I think is in the design; you just have to make sure to shift very positively, especially on that one. Last year I converted to GP-pattern shifting, and that helped with it as well.

PhilB

#3 ·
I have a bit of a similar problem. But I tend to have trouble finding neutral at a stand-still, but always end up in N when shifting from 1 to 2 at a go. Likewise with the higher gears, when my bike gets really warm after a long run, I tend to fall in between gears when shifting. I just thought of it as my poor shifting technique- but perhaps its mechanical?

#4 ·
There are two good possibilities. One is poor technique; try shifting more positively. The other could be that if your clutch isn't well adjusted, you might still have some drag when you pull the lever all the way, and this could make both of those problems happen.

So check your clutch, and shift harder, and see if those fix it.

PhilB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.