»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to store bike?

I'm having to leave the country for a year and need to know what steps I should take to properly store the bike for a year?

Then after that year the bike will be shipped to my next location so it will need to be drained of fluids too since it will travel by crate. How should I best approach this?

Bike a 2009 M696.

TIA
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

A year storage, plus relocation? Why not just sell it and buy another one at your new location in a year. Then you'll most likely get it cheaper, not have to worry about storage, and not lose a year of depreciation when it's just sitting there unused.

Unless you've got a lot of mods into your bike, this makes more sense.

My $0.02.
malamikigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Maybe not if you are in the military and they ship it all over for free as part of your belongings.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Fair enough. Didn't know he was in the military.

I think for the average non-military fella my suggestion would be the best solution. If he sold it, he could invest the money for a year, or just have it sitting in a high-interest savings, and end up with more money, plus buy another bike for less money a year later.

As for if he actually wants to store it,

- tank full of ethanol-free gas
- fuel stabilizer
- fresh oil change
- front and rear stands to get the tires off the ground.
- battery tender
- put it in a warm dry spot and throw a cover over it

Should be fine like that.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
Maybe not if you are in the military and they ship it all over for free as part of your belongings.
Booyah! And Mike hit's the nail on the head...as usual. ;D

I got my bike at a really good deal so judging from bikes being sold on here of the same or lesser condition my bike is more valuable for me to keep.

Is it best to fill it up with gas or leave it low on gas with a touch of stabilizer to the fuel? Full tank for a month or a few makes sense but a year seems to be really long to sit full?!

Battery tender may be an issue since my POS YUASA battery already decided to spit acid onto my crankcase cover and my jeans!@#$
Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just an FYI you do NOT have to drain your fluids just gas. To many people complained and they paid to much for rusted engines. Just make sure it doesn't leak and all that stuff.

The moving company came out and measured my bikes and then check for clean and leaks.

So, prep them for storage but don't worry about the move...

Where are ya moving to?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryo2b View Post

Is it best to fill it up with gas or leave it low on gas with a touch of stabilizer to the fuel? Full tank for a month or a few makes sense but a year seems to be really long to sit full?!
You leave it full so that there's no oxygen in the tank. Having O2 in there is what leads to rusting. After having it sit for a year you may not want to run it on that gas even with the stabilizer in it, so you should drain it at that point anyway. But you leave it full to prevent the rusting.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
You leave it full so that there's no oxygen in the tank. Having O2 in there is what leads to rusting. After having it sit for a year you may not want to run it on that gas even with the stabilizer in it, so you should drain it at that point anyway. But you leave it full to prevent the rusting.

Errr... That's old timey advice right there. This is a modern fuel injected bike with a plastic tank. Plastic tanks don't rust very fast. Plastic tanks swell and deform when the fuel attracts moisture.

The plastic tanks do better if you run them completely dry. That way you won't have old fuel turning to varnish. I wouldn't trust a fuel stabilizer for that long of a period. Today's fuel is some tricky and nasty stuff. Fuel is weird stuff. I just poured a year old tank of gas with 2 stroke oil from my dirt bike into my lawn tractor and it fired right up and ran. I've had tanks of gas go bad within 2 months in the past. I'd drain it down and leave the filler open, not propped open so stuff can fall in, just popped open so air can breathe a little.

Don't worry about the tires and keeping it propped up. It's an 09 and unless you changed your tires in the past, they probably need to be changed anyway. So let them sit for a year and replace them with fresh when you get her back out. That's the safe bet. After sitting for a period of time unused, the rubber begins to dry and harden. They won't grab as well as you expect and could cause a slide.

You will need to plan on a belt change before riding it again. Do this after you remove from storage, not before. The belts are already at their suggested replacement age and another year won't do them any good.

Always remove the battery completely when not in use. If it was a couple of months at the house, I'd remove the ground wire, being that it's in storage somewhere, remove it completely. You don't want it to develop a leak and have an entire year to destroy things. Honestly after a year of not being charged, it may need to be replaced anyways. So if it's old, toss it and replace when removing from storage. If you think it's new enough, prep it (IE:fill it with water if lead/acid and charge whatever kind it is up to full) and place in a small wood or cardboard box. Placing a battery on concrete or in a metal container directly on concrete will kill a battery in a short time. The juice leaches out and to ground and they actually don't take a charge very well after that kind of drain down.

Oil up your chain so it does not quietly rust. You might consider a rubber safe grease (o-ring chains) that you can coat on heavily and plan to remove before you ride it again.

Pull the spark plugs and spray some oil in there. It's called "fogging". This while help prevent rust in the cylinder walls. Machine shops recommend an oil called LS-3 as it is slightly thicker than WD-40.

You might consider some of these bad boys instead of putting the spark plugs back in, http://www.skygeek.com/dehydrator-pl...FeuPPAodcEwACg Just make sure it's the right thread for your machine. Most bikes are 14mm but I don't own a 696. The dessiccant will keep moisture out for a couple of months. They should be checked periodically and recharged, but hey if they protect your engine for 4 months out of the 12, plus your oil in the cylinders, your engine should be in good shape when you return. Generally you won't need this, but hey for $20 if you want a little more protection for your investment, there ya go.

Consider buying a bike cover to keep the dust off if the storage company does not crate the bike. I work in places like Central Van Lines and I see bikes and property tucked in corners with an inch of dust on them all the time. It's not there responsibility to keep the property clean. The store it the way the customer left it or for what they paid to have done. Cycle Gear is selling a lightweight cover this month for $20,

Drain the anti-freeze, it will cause all kinds of issues if left sitting in an air cooled engine.

Plan to drain, flush and refill all brake lines and clutch lines when removing from storage as they may have water in them absorbed from the air around.

You might want to hide a key somewhere on the bike that you can get to but nobody else will know about. I say this because a lot can happen in a year and you wouldn't want to come home to a motorcycle that you can't find the key to. Don't want to be a downer here, but I am in the fire protection business so I know fires happen, if your previous location were to have a catastrophic event while you are gone, there might not be a key when you get home. Just the Boy Scout in me right there, always be prepared. Back up proof of ownership. You might consider getting a bank deposit box to keep your Titles and keys in while you are gone.

Try and stay active on the forums while you are gone. Having some ties back to home will help the time pass in a more positive measure. Good luck and have fun.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybiker View Post
Just an FYI you do NOT have to drain your fluids just gas. To many people complained and they paid to much for rusted engines. Just make sure it doesn't leak and all that stuff.

The moving company came out and measured my bikes and then check for clean and leaks.

So, prep them for storage but don't worry about the move...

Where are ya moving to?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Oh you're in the Fatherland! I'm headed to Korea and hopefully follow-on back to Germany after being stuck here in Oklahellma for too long!!!

And thanks for the info regarding the move part.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
Errr... That's old timey advice right there. This is a modern fuel injected bike with a plastic tank. Plastic tanks don't rust very fast. Plastic tanks swell and deform when the fuel attracts moisture.

The plastic tanks do better if you run them completely dry. That way you won't have old fuel turning to varnish. I wouldn't trust a fuel stabilizer for that long of a period. Today's fuel is some tricky and nasty stuff. Fuel is weird stuff. I just poured a year old tank of gas with 2 stroke oil from my dirt bike into my lawn tractor and it fired right up and ran. I've had tanks of gas go bad within 2 months in the past. I'd drain it down and leave the filler open, not propped open so stuff can fall in, just popped open so air can breathe a little.

Don't worry about the tires and keeping it propped up. It's an 09 and unless you changed your tires in the past, they probably need to be changed anyway. So let them sit for a year and replace them with fresh when you get her back out. That's the safe bet. After sitting for a period of time unused, the rubber begins to dry and harden. They won't grab as well as you expect and could cause a slide.

You will need to plan on a belt change before riding it again. Do this after you remove from storage, not before. The belts are already at their suggested replacement age and another year won't do them any good.

Always remove the battery completely when not in use. If it was a couple of months at the house, I'd remove the ground wire, being that it's in storage somewhere, remove it completely. You don't want it to develop a leak and have an entire year to destroy things. Honestly after a year of not being charged, it may need to be replaced anyways. So if it's old, toss it and replace when removing from storage. If you think it's new enough, prep it (IE:fill it with water if lead/acid and charge whatever kind it is up to full) and place in a small wood or cardboard box. Placing a battery on concrete or in a metal container directly on concrete will kill a battery in a short time. The juice leaches out and to ground and they actually don't take a charge very well after that kind of drain down.

Oil up your chain so it does not quietly rust. You might consider a rubber safe grease (o-ring chains) that you can coat on heavily and plan to remove before you ride it again.

Pull the spark plugs and spray some oil in there. It's called "fogging". This while help prevent rust in the cylinder walls. Machine shops recommend an oil called LS-3 as it is slightly thicker than WD-40.

You might consider some of these bad boys instead of putting the spark plugs back in, http://www.skygeek.com/dehydrator-pl...FeuPPAodcEwACg Just make sure it's the right thread for your machine. Most bikes are 14mm but I don't own a 696. The dessiccant will keep moisture out for a couple of months. They should be checked periodically and recharged, but hey if they protect your engine for 4 months out of the 12, plus your oil in the cylinders, your engine should be in good shape when you return. Generally you won't need this, but hey for $20 if you want a little more protection for your investment, there ya go.

Consider buying a bike cover to keep the dust off if the storage company does not crate the bike. I work in places like Central Van Lines and I see bikes and property tucked in corners with an inch of dust on them all the time. It's not there responsibility to keep the property clean. The store it the way the customer left it or for what they paid to have done. Cycle Gear is selling a lightweight cover this month for $20,

Drain the anti-freeze, it will cause all kinds of issues if left sitting in an air cooled engine.

Plan to drain, flush and refill all brake lines and clutch lines when removing from storage as they may have water in them absorbed from the air around.

You might want to hide a key somewhere on the bike that you can get to but nobody else will know about. I say this because a lot can happen in a year and you wouldn't want to come home to a motorcycle that you can't find the key to. Don't want to be a downer here, but I am in the fire protection business so I know fires happen, if your previous location were to have a catastrophic event while you are gone, there might not be a key when you get home. Just the Boy Scout in me right there, always be prepared. Back up proof of ownership. You might consider getting a bank deposit box to keep your Titles and keys in while you are gone.

Try and stay active on the forums while you are gone. Having some ties back to home will help the time pass in a more positive measure. Good luck and have fun.
Damn that's some might fine information there! Thanks, I'll def be looking into what I need to do and how to best accomplish it. With info like this it will help make things easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement