Looking to do a SSS conversion on my 696. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking to do a SSS conversion on my 696.

I'm looking to do a single side swing arm conversion on my 2012 696 ABS. From what I have found so far a swing arm from a 796 or 1100 will bolt right up, but I am not sure about the year. Will any year from 796/1100 work with my 696? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking to get the Marchesini wheels, I know the rear wheel will be fine, but will the front wheel bolt up will no issues?

Thanks!

2012 White Ducati Monster 696 ABS

Ducati Performance Termignoni Carbon Race Exhaust ∙ Ducati Performance Race ECU ∙ Ducati Performance High Flow Filter ∙ Ducati Performance Open Airbox ∙ Ducati Performance LED Indicators ∙ MotoDynamic Sequential LED Integrated Indicators ∙ Evotech Tidy Tail Fender Eliminator ∙ Evotech Frame Sliders ∙ Reverse Retro Barend Mirrors ∙ ASV F3 Shorty Black Clutch/Brake Levers ∙ Pro Tek 14T Front Sprocket ∙ GoPro HD Hero2 Motorsports Edition

Last edited by krafty; 11-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.
krafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

why not sell your 696 and buy a 796?
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
why not sell your 696 and buy a 796?
This is just my toy, a project bike for me and I have a lot invested in it already. I like the look of the single sided swingarm, but don't really need the extra power of the 796. This will make my 696 more unique and give me a fun project to work on while it's cold here in FL. I'll be getting a 848 Evo Corse SE or 1199 R once I pay my Audi off to satisfy my power needs

Ducati Performance Termignoni Carbon Race Exhaust ∙ Ducati Performance Race ECU ∙ Ducati Performance High Flow Filter ∙ Ducati Performance Open Airbox ∙ Ducati Performance LED Indicators ∙ MotoDynamic Sequential LED Integrated Indicators ∙ Evotech Tidy Tail Fender Eliminator ∙ Evotech Frame Sliders ∙ Reverse Retro Barend Mirrors ∙ ASV F3 Shorty Black Clutch/Brake Levers ∙ Pro Tek 14T Front Sprocket ∙ GoPro HD Hero2 Motorsports Edition
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thus far, the only changes to the new monsters have been cosmetic. So any 796 or 1100 swing arm will work on a 696.
2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Another question on the topic, are the stock Marchesini wheels from the older Monsters .ie S4R, interchangeable with the newer Monster models and the 848 Evo / Hypermotard swing arms?

Last edited by krafty; 11-14-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check the Moto Wheels site, they carry them and list applications.
2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info and tip Tony!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Any year new gen monster swing arm will fit your motor. You can use 848 or s4r wheels on it. The front axle will be the same, I'm just not sure on the rotor offest. I put 848evo forks on my monster with a speedymoto triple and had to switch to 15mm offset rotors off a 999. 848/hyper swingarms have a different shock mounting position and will not work. If the rear speed sensor runs off the six points on the rotor mounting, you will have to get a speedo tamer to work with the four point pickup on the single side swingarm. if it runs a reluctor wheel set up you can disregaurd that part (I've done the sssa mod on a non abs 696). The chain on the 1100 is a 525 as opposed to the 520 on your 696. I actualy just put a jt carier on mine and upped the chain and front sprocket to 525 for longer life. Be sure to grease the hell out of the pivot rod, and make sure you get a pinch bolt for the new swingarm. your rear brake line will need to be changed. You can genereally find clean e bay swingarms with the axle, caliper mount, speed sensor and chain guides attached.
65218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65218 View Post
Any year new gen monster swing arm will fit your motor. You can use 848 or s4r wheels on it. The front axle will be the same, I'm just not sure on the rotor offest. I put 848evo forks on my monster with a speedymoto triple and had to switch to 15mm offset rotors off a 999. 848/hyper swingarms have a different shock mounting position and will not work. If the rear speed sensor runs off the six points on the rotor mounting, you will have to get a speedo tamer to work with the four point pickup on the single side swingarm. if it runs a reluctor wheel set up you can disregaurd that part (I've done the sssa mod on a non abs 696). The chain on the 1100 is a 525 as opposed to the 520 on your 696. I actualy just put a jt carier on mine and upped the chain and front sprocket to 525 for longer life. Be sure to grease the hell out of the pivot rod, and make sure you get a pinch bolt for the new swingarm. your rear brake line will need to be changed. You can genereally find clean e bay swingarms with the axle, caliper mount, speed sensor and chain guides attached.
Thanks for the great information, most of it is what I already figured but just wanted to make sure. I have few more questions. For the front wheel, will I be fine using the rotors from a S4R/796/1100 wheel that's already attached and can I use my rear/front sprocket & chain or will I need to get a 525 pitch front sprocket & chain to use with the 796 rear sprocket?

This is my list of what I'll be getting, let me know if I am missing anything.

796/1100 Swingarm Assembly w/ axle, caliper mount, speed sensor, chain guides and pinch bolt
796/1100 Rear Brake Line
796/1100 Rear Hugger
Monster S4R/796/1100 or 848/Hypermotard Marchesini Wheels w/ Front Rotors
Healtech Speedo Healer

Thanks again!

Last edited by krafty; 11-15-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

for the chain/gear issue, you can do two things-
option 1 stay with a 520, put a 520 pitch gear on the back or since you're already in it put a quickchange carier on it with a 42t 520 gear (stock sssa comes with 39 or 40t and the 696 comes with 45t)
option 2 up the front sprocket to a 525 and you'll still need to put a larger rear sprocket on the back to get responsiveness off the line

either way you'll need a new chain because of the change in gearing and the new sprocket(s)

I personally went with the jt carrier and sprocket because it cost 1/2 what an STM or Driven costs. Since I reduced weight using the carier and sprocket, I wasn't concerned with going to a heavier 525 chain especially since it will increase the life of the drive line.

While you're at it, I'd suggest stepping up for a set of woodcraft, rizoma, or ducabike rear sets to get the big fugly batwing peg bracket out of the way. if you upgrade rear sets you will likely need to get a presure switch banjo bolt for the rear brake line at the master cylinder. Some rear sets like the woodcraft do not come with a mount for the detent type rear brake switch and the presure type switch handles that, they're about $10.

The big issues withthe front wheel is having the same bolt pattern, some are five others are six, and having the same width between rotors at the hub to ensure that your offset and the spacing for the reluctor wheel on your front speed sensor are correct. I don't have an ABS bike so I can't tell you the specifics on what years and parts will work, but those are the things to measure and inspect. BTW no one makes a 5mm spacer set for the front rotors if the offset is incorrect due to the fact that the rotor needs lands at the hub for centering. You can get 5mm spacers for the calipers from motowheels though to handle the diameter change if you find a set of 330mm rotors laying around and you want that one finger modulation from the brakes.

Another fun note for you- the exhaust off the 796 and the 1100(s) will fit your engine, so if you want to up the pipe size for better upper end power it is a stock swap. The shutter valve on the larger exhaust (there is not one on the 696) is spring loaded to open so you don't have to remove or modify it. The only catch is that when just barely putting around at 4k rpm especially down a long hill, you will get a check engine light on occasionally for the o2 sensors due to the change in flow from the pipes, it turns right back off a moment after you crack the throttle. I'm sure the map can be tuned to compensate, but I haven't gotten into that yet. With a set of termi's, dp ecu, and a K&n my bike rips and has a more than healthy sound compared to stock.
65218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement