Almost no power from engine - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Almost no power from engine

Hey everyone, so I posted about a week ago about my bike not starting and that I got it working. Now another problem arose with it that it almost has no power when riding around, it almost sounds like a lawnmower. I suspect that it might be the carbs but idk. There's also LOTS of popping from (what I suspect) unspent fuel in the exhaust specifically the right one and it gets significantly hotter than the left exhaust. I had also put in new spark plugs when the bike started working again.
Before the bike stopped working I had put in about $5 worth of Exxon premium fuel (I usually run V-Power) from a station that I probably shouldn't have gotten it from because the quality of it was probably bad. Could that have gunked up the carbs or anything related to that?
Sorry about the long post but more info about the problem helps find the solution. Thanks in advance.
RoadRacing under engine exhaust, fast by ferracci high comp pistons, stage 2 jet kit, K&N RU-1750 pod filters, Ducati Performance pressure plate, CNC Racing slave cylinder, Ohlins DU440 shock, Motodynamic taillight, Driven D3 grips, lightweight flywheel, exact-fit ignition coils.
racer_80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

drain your float bowls into a glass jar so you can see whats in the gas

'08 S2r 1000
'96 900 SS/SP
'02 ST4s (now gone )

IBA 38181
sofadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First thought is a dirty jet that has you only running on 1 cylinder.

Fire up the bike for a minute or two, then carefully reach down to the cylinders, attempt to touch the cylinders and if one is "cold" while the other is hot, then you know which cylinder isn't running. By cold I just mean not the same as the other, it won't actually be cold.

Once you establish if it is only running on one cylinder, you can work over the carb or you might double check that your plug wires are securely snapped onto the plug/and or that the wire inside the cap has not come loose. You might also pull that plug from the cylinder and lay it on the head with the wire attached. Press the start button and see if the plug fires when the engine turns over. If it doesn't fire then you probably have an electrical issue. If it fires correctly then it's probably a fueling issue. If it doesn't fire correctly you might check to see that you didn't accidentally bump any of the smaller ancillary wires around the frame that could trigger the coils.

I once bought an M750 for $1,200 from Craigslist because the guy thought the clutch was toast and he recalled having a clutch replaced in a car once for a little over $1,000 so he wanted to rid himself of the bike. Too bad for him because a bike clutch takes minutes to replace. He fired it up at his place and I could feel that only heat was being generated in 1 cylinder so I bought it. I was going to buy it anyways. Got it home, fired it up and began riding it around the neighborhood. I had to slip the clutch and walk it from a stop to not kill the engine, but after a couple of minutes it cleared the jet and was back to running like a normal bike.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement