»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stall while riding

Hello All,

I had two unfortunate recent experiences with my 2009 Monster 696 with 2100 miles on it. The bike stalled twice - slowly losing power, engine light went on, and completely dead. The battery is only two months old.

To start the bike, I had to press the start button at least three times. The first press would make the bike start, but only last three seconds. Third or fourth attempts of cranking are required to run the bike.

The fuel level is almost full. The first stall was two miles ride after filling up the tank. I was on fourth gear, the bike was running fine until it lost its power. The engine light went off. I swerved and turned into nearest parking lot to check if I could restart but no good. Under ignition on, the light or dashboard was not on. So the bike had to be towed home. The flashing red light on dashboard started to blink when I got home. I guess it was caused by the movement on the rotor and stator?

I charged the battery overnight with battery tender junior and the next day the bike was able to start (no engine light and only took two presses on start button). I was gonna take it for a 5 miles ride but it could only make 4 miles. The engine light went off again and the bike lost its power. Before losing power completely, I felt like the bike running with half its cylinder - not as strong as when I left home. I couldnt start the bike at all because the dashboard light is dead. After getting towed home, the blinking red light was on. When I switched the ignition on, I could see the voltage reading - 10.6-11.6. At this voltage, I was able to start the bike but I did not want to take any risk taking it anywhere before learning the problem. When the engine is running, the voltage is between 12.4-13.3v. When I rev the engine, I could feel that the power is not as strong.

My question is the main issue of the bike coming from voltage regulator, Alternator, or fuel pump? Any comments or suggestions before I take them to mechanic?
coolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolden View Post
Hello All,

I had two unfortunate recent experiences with my 2009 Monster 696 with 2100 miles on it. The bike stalled twice - slowly losing power, engine light went on, and completely dead. The battery is only two months old.

To start the bike, I had to press the start button at least three times. The first press would make the bike start, but only last three seconds. Third or fourth attempts of cranking are required to run the bike.

The fuel level is almost full. The first stall was two miles ride after filling up the tank. I was on fourth gear, the bike was running fine until it lost its power. The engine light went off. I swerved and turned into nearest parking lot to check if I could restart but no good. Under ignition on, the light or dashboard was not on. So the bike had to be towed home. The flashing red light on dashboard started to blink when I got home. I guess it was caused by the movement on the rotor and stator?

I charged the battery overnight with battery tender junior and the next day the bike was able to start (no engine light and only took two presses on start button). I was gonna take it for a 5 miles ride but it could only make 4 miles. The engine light went off again and the bike lost its power. Before losing power completely, I felt like the bike running with half its cylinder - not as strong as when I left home. I couldnt start the bike at all because the dashboard light is dead. After getting towed home, the blinking red light was on. When I switched the ignition on, I could see the voltage reading - 10.6-11.6. At this voltage, I was able to start the bike but I did not want to take any risk taking it anywhere before learning the problem. When the engine is running, the voltage is between 12.4-13.3v. When I rev the engine, I could feel that the power is not as strong.

My question is the main issue of the bike coming from voltage regulator, Alternator, or fuel pump? Any comments or suggestions before I take them to mechanic?
Check main fuse (probably a large one, around 50 amps) to make sure regulator is charging, if fuse is good, may be a bad regulator.

Sounds like battery is not charging.

Or a short, bike is using more voltage than RR can replace.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would put a multimeter on the bike to get an accurate reading of the charging system. Even 13.3 is low for a running bike, (about half a volt, low).
2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I checked on main fuse box, everything looks fine. No blown fuse.

Unfortunately, I do not have multimeter. When I switched the ignition on, the battery read 11.1 V. After waiting for 30 sec to reduce the headlight beam, the voltage increased to 11.7V. I was able to start the engine with this. While running, the voltage ranges between 12.4-13.3V on the panel. Still not sure what is going on, could it be the voltage regulator? If so, any advise which product should I use?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Go get a $20 multi-meter at Advance Auto or some place like that. I think even Walmart has them.
memetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I went ahead and bought the multimeter. I checked the voltage prior to switch the ignition on. The battery itself has 12.6V at this condition. I have another motorcycle and it reads 12.9V at rest. This motorcycle, when the engine is running the voltage goes up to 14.2V while my M696 can only hover between 12.6-13.6V. In general, multimeter gives me reading 0.1V higher than ducati panel.

I only had to press the starter button twice to get the bike engine up. I let the engine to run for about 5 minutes with fluctuating voltage (my multimeter was going crazy). The bike eventually died and the voltmeter gave me high 11V in reading. The engine light went off prior to this.

What do you suggest for me to do as the next step(s) to diagnose the problem of the bike? It seems like the bike is capable of running, but cannot get a stable/consistent voltage which affect the engine performance....
Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Im having the same problem. What was the issue with your M696.
LucianoPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Might be the regulator. I ordered one online. If anybody can post any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolden View Post
Might be the regulator. I ordered one online. If anybody can post any recommendations would be appreciated.
Take the battery to the local shop and have them test it. It is free. Make sure you get it tested properly -- go to a bike shop. I don't think places like Advance Auto can test motorcycle batteries.
memetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

So I installed the new voltage RR. The battery voltage during idle and running seems to be lower than previous, and more fluctuative (between 10-12V). Now, I strongly think the issue is not the RR, could it be the 2 months old battery? I fully charge the battery and took the bike for a 2 miles ride. The bike died twice, but was able to start shortly after it dead. Any insight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement