M696 - leaky clutch slave, but, also seems to be in the oil?? - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh I hate to cut out Desmotimes for being on military duty, but you can buy it here as well, http://motowheels.com/i-8328068-cnc-...ain-guard.html
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Did the PO change the oil before you bought it? If so, could be they used Motul 300V ester oil. It's a funny green color and smells almost fruity.
fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

^ interesting thought, but I'm not sure that's the case. I'll text him and ask him if he knows. In the meantime, here's a crop from a pic i took of the bike with my SLR approx 1 week prior, the day I got my bike. Still hard to tell for sure, but, it seems to be lacking the green colour:

malamikigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
You can pull the seal and oring from the slave and replace them on the cheap. About $6 in parts from a good bearing supply house, just a standard metric seal.

I've never understood why they seem to fail and often yet the aftermarket units seem to be just gravy for years.

The main reason to replace with an aftermarket is to get a larger piston which makes for an easier to pull lever. So it's kind of a win/win. You get an easier to pull lever and a leak free slave.

Personally, coming from an SV650, I find the hydraulic clutch on the monster to already feel pretty buttery comparatively speaking. I'm not that concerned with getting an easier clutch pull, so my first effort in repairing this will probably be to try replacing the seal/o-ring since it's cheap, and see how that goes. If it's a bust then I'll go with a new slave from there.

I'm still a little boggled on the colour and milkiness of my oil, though. It seems like more than condensation, and the green is still a bizarre colour considering it didn't look green in that picture I just posted above. ^
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Aw nuts man. Your head gasket is leaking antifreeze into the cases.

Just kidding of course.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Update:

I replaced the O-ring on the stock slave cylinder, hoping that would solve the leaking problem, but....unfortunately not.

I understand that replacing it with an aftermarket unit is the correct repair here, but I'm just trying to understand....why would it still leak? Where does it even leak out of? I can't see how the new o-ring wouldn't solve a leak from that location, and the gasket at the banjo connection is totally dry...definitely not coming from there.

Where does it even leak from??
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default which fluid is leaking, again?

so we know it's either oil or clutch fluid. Both can seep from around the same area. A very easy way to determine if you have brake fluid is to wipe the fluid on something dirty, like the smooth surface of a motorcycle lift or maybe the garage floor or something and see if it makes a clean spot. Nothing leaves a bright, clean spot like brake fluid.

You said you replaced the oring on the stock slave. Do you mean the slanty-edged seal that fits around the piston? Did you completely remove the piston and clean the groove out? or are you talking about the small orange oring?

If it's not brake fluid, then you probably have a little oil seepage from either the pushrod, the alternator cover, or somewhere around there. Is it possible the oil is coming from somewhe even higher like the breather?

Last edited by Raspberry24; 11-14-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Raspberry24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

I suppose I am talking about the small orange oring. It was only approximately 1cm across, and it was not slanty-edged at all. The one I took out was perfectly round (and appeared to be in dandy condition), and i replaced it with another round one of the same size. This is the small o-ring that appears immediately when you undo the 3 bolts and pull the slave off. I did thoroughly clean the groove out that the oring sits in, though.

Pardon my ignorance...I'm not particularly mechanically-inclined, so I'm learning my way through this as I go. Is there another seal within the slave that could be replaced? You mention this slanty-edged seal around the piston....is this *inside* the slave? Do I need to dismantle it somehow to access this?

Thanks for the replies and for walking me through this...it's appreciated.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes it's inside the slave.

The o-ring is there to keep dirt out.

Generally when rebuilding this type of item you need to remove it from the bike, remove the banjo bolt and hydraulic hose, drain out all of the oil, then cover the piston side with a rag and carefully used compressed air to push the piston out by adding air to the banjo bolt hole. The idea is to push the piston from the slave and then you can use a pick to pry the old seal out. Then you take that seal to a bearing shop for a match, or you can measure the outside diameter, inside diameter and thickness of the seal and order one or ten. Ducati does not sell them separately.

It is considered a non rebuildable part because there is not access to the seal. You must remove the piston to rebuild it. On some of the aftermarket units there is a base that holds the seal in place and is removable. Once removed you have access to the seal. I can't recall who that was but I'm thinking Oberon.

You know come to think of it, you are on a 696. I do believe you can remove the front plate to rebuild them. I've not done it myself. The older generations did not have a removable plate. I'd still check to see if you can push the piston out rather than take that front piece off. You don't want to end up with a leak in a place that was not leaking before.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement