No engine turnover or response. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation No engine turnover or response.

Hey everyone, I got back from a trip yesterday and decided to ride my bike to pick some stuff up that I needed. So I rode over there and back with no problems, parked the bike then about 2 hours later I was going to ride somewhere else turned the ignition on and set it to run, pushed the start button and nothing happened, literally nothing. The lights and fuel pump were on, but no response from the engine. What could it be?

1997 Ducati Monster 900
RoadRacing under engine exhaust, fast by ferracci high comp pistons, stage 2 jet kit, K&N RU-1750 pod filters, Ducati Performance pressure plate, CNC Racing slave cylinder, Ohlins DU440 shock, Motodynamic taillight, Driven D3 grips, lightweight flywheel, exact-fit ignition coils.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM

make sure the white connector going to the solonoid is fully seated.

2001 S4 Senna
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Okay I think I checked the right connector you're referring to (the one towards the front forks?) and it's seated. Could the battery just be low on charge and I need to get a battery tender?

1997 Ducati Monster 900
RoadRacing under engine exhaust, fast by ferracci high comp pistons, stage 2 jet kit, K&N RU-1750 pod filters, Ducati Performance pressure plate, CNC Racing slave cylinder, Ohlins DU440 shock, Motodynamic taillight, Driven D3 grips, lightweight flywheel, exact-fit ignition coils.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_80 View Post
Okay I think I checked the right connector you're referring to (the one towards the front forks?) and it's seated. Could the battery just be low on charge and I need to get a battery tender?
Follow the battery cable up from the starter, it should go to the solonoid, and there should be a white connector in between that cable, and the one going to the battery. That is the connector I am aluding to.

As far as your battery condition, if you don't have a multimeter, go to radio shack and buy one for $10. It will tell you the condition of your batter, and can also tell you if your charging system is good.

You could always put your battery on a tender overnight, but even if it starts, there is no guarantee that it is being charge while running.

2001 S4 Senna
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM

the same thing has happened to me. i got my battery checked this afternoon im as stumped as you are.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Try checking the fuses?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 PM

You did check to make sure you're not in gear, didn't you?

2001 S4 Senna
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Yes I did check the fuses and they aren't blown or damaged. And the bike is in neutral and I did try to start it with the clutch pulled in but same result.
I found that white plug you were talking about and made sure it was seated and no change in results.

1997 Ducati Monster 900
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Now you are down to either charging the battery on a tender, or getting a multimeter and get a reading.

2001 S4 Senna
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Yup. and it's safe to put a Yuasa battery on a tender like this one right?
--> http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

Some people have said it's killed theirs. Also would I need the 6v or 12v?

1997 Ducati Monster 900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode