»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default F**king battery!!!

Ok...about 6 months ago I bought a new battery for the S4Rt. All is good until about 2 weeks ago when I go out to the bike and...nothing. And I mean nothing!!! No nifty gauge sweep. No fuel relay priming. Nothing. Lifted the tank and checked the fuses and they were al good so I check the battery voltage. 1 volt. Now I had ridden the bike the day before fer christ sake!!!!! Took the battery in and had it checked and the shop said it checked out fine and they re-charged it for me. Installed it in the bike and checked my charging system and it checked out fine. 2 days later...dead dead dead. Thought to myself, "Self....prolly a bad battery." Bought a new one with the intention of throwing the old one through the window like the Discount tire ad. Rode the snot out of my bike with my dad while he was visiting and all seemed fine. Guess what...3 days later it was dead too!!!!!!

Too say the least I'm a wee bit pissed and perplexed.

I want to buy a nifty Shorai or some such but not until I get this resolved.

Any help would be beyond appreciated at this point.

If you want "Cars Suck" stickers PM me with your address and I will send you some.

Have
Silver 2007 S2R1000
Black 2005 S2R800
Titanium 2007 S4Rt

Had
Charcoal Gray 1999 900 Monster (Trade for work on the house)
Black 2004 999S (Traded for Hyper)
Yellow 2004 749s (traded in for S2R1000)
Yellow 1997 748s (sold and the one I miss the most)
Red 2008 Hypermotard 1100s (sold)

You meet the nicest Hooligans on a Monster!
S4Rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

It would appear that you have a charging problem
Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Or a ground short in your wiring.

The Poster said that his shop charged the battery and checked his charging system, then it went dead 2 days later. Does not state that he rode the bike during those 2 days. Better clarification could help. And explain what the charging check was.

I would charge a battery. Install the battery. Check the voltage and write it down. Then I would start the bike and check the voltage at idle and write it down. Then I would run it up to about 5,000 rpm and check the voltage and write it down.

After doing all that, I would take it for a good ride. About 30-60 miles, but stay close to home so you don't get stranded. As soon as I pull into the garage I would kill the key and check the voltage.

If the battery is still above 12v at that point, it's not a charging problem.

More than likely it is a shorted wire, a light staying on, an alarm draining the battery, etc..

If it turns out to be a short, do not buy a Shorai or Ballistic. It will be money tossed down a drain. You must find the reason first. The dry lithium batteries are considered not to be salvageable if drained below 6v. Sounds like you would ruin one within 12 hours of shutting off the bike.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a similiar problem with my 2009 696. Bike didn't start and just showed an error. Put in a new battery and showed that it wasn't charging. Had the rectifier changed and the bike was charging when the battery was over 12v but when it went below 12 It couldnt charge enough to get it back up, and now the problem reoccurred. Was told it might be the stator which is an expensive part to replace. Any advice from anyone? I'll probabaly take the bike in again when I can meanwhile I'm just connecting it to a battery tender and riding it off the tender without turning the engine off.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
ducamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Installed the new battery and check the voltage at both idle and about 3,000 rpm. Both times good to go. Rode the bike all over the place and when I tried to start it a couple days later got nothing.

If you want "Cars Suck" stickers PM me with your address and I will send you some.

Have
Silver 2007 S2R1000
Black 2005 S2R800
Titanium 2007 S4Rt

Had
Charcoal Gray 1999 900 Monster (Trade for work on the house)
Black 2004 999S (Traded for Hyper)
Yellow 2004 749s (traded in for S2R1000)
Yellow 1997 748s (sold and the one I miss the most)
Red 2008 Hypermotard 1100s (sold)

You meet the nicest Hooligans on a Monster!
S4Rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Rt View Post
Installed the new battery and check the voltage at both idle and about 3,000 rpm. Both times good to go. Rode the bike all over the place and when I tried to start it a couple days later got nothing.
Then you must have a short draining the battery.

Unless you got a bad new battery
Old 10-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bad batteries are not uncommon had dud yuasa changed under warranty for one of my bikes this year and also a car battery died after 5 weeks turned out to be a duffer too changed under warranty.

But I did check both vehicles charging systems carefully they out put 13.9-14.3 v on full load so my charging circuits are fine
jerryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

... And some people think having batteries run the whole vehicle is a good idea ...

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Charging

Even though the voltage is good whilst running does not mean it is charging the battery , two possible problems are the regulator or the alternator (stator) or a hot joint is a good one . But I would suggest disconnecting the regulator when you next let it sit and see if the battery goes flat.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the same problem with my 2009 696. As of now, I have replaced the two-months old battery with a new one and installed a new MOSFET type rectifier.

When I first got the battery, my multimeter shows the voltage to be 12.8V.
Installed on the bike, turned the ignition on, read 12.1-12.2V.
During idle (engine on) and cranking the gas, the voltage stays between 11.5-12V. This is very low. I am afraid there is a short somewhere. Checked on the ground connection from negative lead of the battery and it looked good.

I checked the voltage coming out from stator and it reads >16V, higher than 40V when rpm>4000. Stator should be good.

I checked on the output from rectifier during engine on (idle), multimeter gave me 15V+. Rectifier Passes.

The main fuse (30A) and other fuses were checked good (continuity test).

I rode for 5 miles without problem. Engine is always on, but at a stop light I saw the voltage of the battery is always below 12V, not good. I am just worried if I ride long distance the engine will be dead - happen twice already!!

I think the problem lies somewhere between rectifier and battery. Any advise before visiting a ducati shop?
coolden is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement