M796 Broken Clutch Lever Sensor - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 09-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default M796 Broken Clutch Lever Sensor

Hello to all,

I could not find this issue in the search, however I have a feeling that it has to have been touch on already.

There is a sensor (or so I am assuming) attached to the bar, right behind the clutch lever. The clutch lever actuates it/ depresses it. I am unsure of what the purpose of this part is. I am curious as to how important it is because the unit on my bike snapped. I have rigged it with zipties; however the the unit does not maintain contact with the lever.

Thank you to anyone who can give me info.

Just an FYI, I have not been to the dealer because the dealer is about 2 hours away; I have not had the time. I am assuming that this will be covered under warranty.
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had mine broken on my aprilia and URL best bet is to glue it back together with the plastic weld glue.
Worked for me perfectly.....

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Klutch_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm also curious as to what this little bar does...

Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Engaging the clutch itself with press/release force....and feeds info to the ECU.......if its broken the clutch would not wrk no matter what......

Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch_R View Post
I had mine broken on my aprilia and URL best bet is to glue it back together with the plastic weld glue.
Worked for me perfectly.....

Thank you, I am going to try that.

I did not think that this would cause any issues with the bike, actually working. I thought it was more related to the EMS monitoring of clutch actuation, for data logging purposes. I have not tested the bike out since I have noticed that it broke; it has been off of the road for some basic paint work.

Looks like I am stopping by the depot on the way home today.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

I glued it to the max(obviously I didn't leave any blobs of glue around) but I waited a day till it reaches full straight and it was fine!
Ps:that is some macgyver shit one one one!!!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Was going to say, "just order one, shouldn't be more than about $15", but feckeneh was I ever wrong.

Item Name:
MICROSWITCH 620-800 S/03

Item Number:
53940341A

Qty: Price: 84.99

But because I love to look for good deals,

$22
http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-Ducati-Mo...144448&vxp=mtr

That is the only one I could find on Ebay but it saves you a trip to the Dealer. You might be able to send your Dealer a picture of yours and if they are good peeps, they may be willing to mail you one. I wouldn't count on it though as it might be difficult for them to prove they did the repairs for reimbursement.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

The bike will not start when it is in gear...unless you are disengaging the clutch. This sensor tells the bike that you pulling the lever in to disengage.
grolla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post
Was going to say, "just order one, shouldn't be more than about $15", but feckeneh was I ever wrong.

Item Name:
MICROSWITCH 620-800 S/03

Item Number:
53940341A

Qty: Price: 84.99

But because I love to look for good deals,

$22
http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-Ducati-Mo...144448&vxp=mtr

That is the only one I could find on Ebay but it saves you a trip to the Dealer. You might be able to send your Dealer a picture of yours and if they are good peeps, they may be willing to mail you one. I wouldn't count on it though as it might be difficult for them to prove they did the repairs for reimbursement.
Thank you for that link.

I had the shop come pick the bike up. The bike locked up on me in the middle of the road.

I had used a silicone based glue, however it did not hold the unit tightly enough, and it shifted on the bracket causing the shift lever to miss it.

Luckily I was able to rig it to get the bike back home. I called Ducati road side to come get it, and they sent the dealer to pick it up. Now I am just waiting on the dealer to get back to me.

I am hoping that it is all covered by the warranty. I was told that it should be. If not then I will be buying the one for 20 and going up there to install that thing myself.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasaholic View Post
Thank you for that link.

I had the shop come pick the bike up. The bike locked up on me in the middle of the road.

I had used a silicone based glue, however it did not hold the unit tightly enough, and it shifted on the bracket causing the shift lever to miss it.

Luckily I was able to rig it to get the bike back home. I called Ducati road side to come get it, and they sent the dealer to pick it up. Now I am just waiting on the dealer to get back to me.

I am hoping that it is all covered by the warranty. I was told that it should be. If not then I will be buying the one for 20 and going up there to install that thing myself.
Issue was covered under warranty. After a month of waiting the bike finally came back...
Advertisement