»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Theft security

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but what the hell...

To put this short, I live in the city (nice part of town but not free of hooligans) in a condo building that is not gated. I park my bike in the same spot as my car, covered of course, but worry about someone spotting it and trying to steal it by either destroying the ignition with a flat head or putting it in the back of a truck. I know the keys are micro-chipped and all, but am worried about her (really making me want to move outside the city in a house with a garage)!

Anyhow, curious of anyone who wants to share experience with keeping their bike safe. Is it worth getting a gps security system, motion censored, etc or is what comes on a duc more than enough to keep you bike safe? Any recommendations or personal experiences would be much appreciated!

btw... I ride a 2012 M796
Evotech tail tidy
Motodynamics Sequential tail light

Last edited by scoclo; 09-10-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: bike description
scoclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, anyone can "pick up" a bike and put it in a truck, but that's not very likely. You may want to consider a disc lock, which locks on your brake disc and prevents your bike from rolling. Of course, if you forget it's there and try to take off, you've pretty much destroyed your bike!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlewis101 View Post
Well, anyone can "pick up" a bike and put it in a truck, but that's not very likely.

Bullshit.

That's exactly how they do it. In fact thieves have been known to drive around in big Uhaul type trucks and park in a way that blocks the view of bike and push them right up into the back.

I had 3 bikes stolen in one night by a guy with a truck and trailer rig.

I found out who did it, called the police, they checked on the lead and found he had over 60 bikes shoved in a garage and his house. Turned out he was sending out around 50 stolen bikes a month to Mexico to have parted out or sold down there. All of the bikes were stolen with the truck/trailer. It was estimated that he and his partner had stolen over 1,000 motorcycles over 2 years in the area.

To the OP, you need to figure out a way to secure your bike down. Do a search of the forums as there have already been several threads, and current at that, in regards to methods you can use to slow them down. Most thieves will walk away from a chain through a frame, but if you have custom wheels, they may set up a night to steal the wheels. Disc locks will slow many thieves down, but not all. Most of the locks just break away like a steering lock. Some people here were boasting about a disc lock that screams like an alarm when tampered with. It's about making it difficult enough that they won't bother you.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm in the city too, Darwin City. My M696 is only just run in... I got the DP alarm to install as it just arrived in the mail. Heard it makes quite the racket when is set off and being in the city there are lots of busy bodies about... Anyone installed one of these units? Is it easy? Plug and play right....
TERAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Supposed to be easy, there is a thread about them making an error code in the speedo at 85mph for some reason.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Really. Can you recall the thread? Maybe point me to it?
TERAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Security techniques

It is really easy to steal a bike, especially in a big city and if the place is not gated or have ceilings (allowing big Uhauls to come in and hoist the bike in).
There are MANY ways to steal bikes, I am sure. And a Ducati is a prime product for it as they are light and of high value. Yes, the magnetic key lock is a great deterrent as it makes it hard to sell, but still easy to sell parts from.

I have a few techniques, as I have two places I keep my bike over night.

A.) Work location - 3 story subterranene garage that is "Gated" but nothing more than a wooden arm machine.

This location I employ the following outside of the normal handlebar lock, set in 1st gear.
1.) I use this lock on the rear tire: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Disc-Lock.aspx
(The problem is that it does not lock to anything, as I have nothing to tie it near.
2.) I place the bike RIGHT under a security camera. Though the camera is not always watched, it is there to freak people out that they are likely being watched. It may also help that I have the footage in case it is stolen.
3.) I use a motorcycle cover that snuggly fits over the bike. It doesnt say DUCATI on it, just a black fitted tarp that keeps the dust off and keeps people from looking at the bike.
4.) The bike is placed parallel with a parking block so that it is hard to throw sticks in the wheels and hoist up. It is also blocked by a small staircase - further making theives life difficult.

B.) Then, there is my apartment building. It is gated, which is nice - but as big as the complex is, people could still access the clickers- or simply wait for someone to open one of the entrances- as people are too passive aggressive to try and stop anyone if they are even suspected as a theif. The bike is covered here, but is also half exposed to outside elements (some sunlight).

1.) I typically do not lock the bike up as I place the bike in such a difficult place to steal and this is what I suggest you do as you have a car! I pull my car our, then pull my bike in front of the car parking spot. So its as if you would see city parked bikes that squeeze infront of cars in parallel parked spots. My bike is infront of a parking curb, parallel with the cement parking curb. Then I drive the car in - and boom- its blocked.
The cars parked to my left and right are typically there in the night to help block anyone that might be able to unlock the bars and set to neutral and snuggle it out. So, its pretty worry free. Also, I cover it with a HUGE tarp (lets a lot of airflow) but also does not suspect the bike as a small little Ducati, but rather a huge ass Harley since theres sooooo much space. I dont bother locking the rear tire as the bike is barricaded by a cement wall, a cement block (to deter steering and hoisting) and blocked by all sides due to my car and my neighbors parked cars and poles (Its a covered spot)

Sorry that post was long, but I wanted to detail all the aspects of how I keep my bike safe as I always worry about it being that I am in a big city (LA) and ride a light bike (2005 620 Monster).

I suggest you do the car trick, as it makes it so hard to steal - that is, if your bike is blocked by other cars or a walls/poles in your parking lot. Another thing you can do is throw a long cable or chain from your rear wheel through your car tire. I have done that when I leave for vacation. It lets me sleep well at night.

Also, make friends with your neighbors and let them know you got their back on the vehicles. Me and another guy who keeps his S2000 in the work garage make sure to check on one anothers vehicles.

Oh, and another deterrent is myself - if I see someone trying to steal my bike - it gives me the invitation to throw some jitsu on 'em. But of course, thats a last resort, and is only helpful if I am around.
620_Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Security & the Condo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoclo View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but what the hell...

To put this short, I live in the city (nice part of town but not free of hooligans) in a condo building that is not gated. I park my bike in the same spot as my car, covered of course, but worry about someone spotting it and trying to steal it by either destroying the ignition with a flat head or putting it in the back of a truck. I know the keys are micro-chipped and all, but am worried about her (really making me want to move outside the city in a house with a garage)!

Anyhow, curious of anyone who wants to share experience with keeping their bike safe. Is it worth getting a gps security system, motion censored, etc or is what comes on a duc more than enough to keep you bike safe? Any recommendations or personal experiences would be much appreciated!

btw... I ride a 2012 M796
Hi, I had a Monster 695 and traded it in for an 848. Last year my 848 was stolen from my condo parting lot--it was devastating. The 848 was stolen by professional thieves. They came in with a van early in the morning, lifted the bike with its Zena motion detector alarmed disc brake on front wheel (the alarm is not very loud) / cover / engine immobilizer. That year I was told that there were at 3-4 professional gangs working condo undergrounds in Toronto and stealing sport bikes predominantly. Police got the bad guy over a year later--he decided to keep my bike and ride it--police caught him selling another stolen bike. I tried to get the bike back but couldn't (a long story: the short version: insurance company had a contract with a salvage company, salvage company said they would sell it back to me but sold it to someone else instead.) I now have a Scorpio 120db alarm on my Triumph Daytona D675R with perimeter detector & pager (the page won't reach me from the underground). The bike is behind my car and chained, with a heavy chain and padlock around the rear wheel to a huge concrete pillar. It has another cable lock around the front tire. It is covered. I'm sure I should do more but at least I've made it a bit more difficult for the bike thieves. One day I'll ride a Ducati again. I love the Daytona but I miss the Monster & the 848. I still consider myself a Ducatista, despite how good the Triumph is--and it is very, very good.
ldanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default kryptonite will save your bike

I used the kryptonite U lock bolted to the sidewalk when I was living in Dorchester MA. I also used the biggest chain kryptonite produced and a mini u lock attached to the frame. Go on kryptonite website and you will see what I am talking about. The device is round with a chrome U shape part where you insert the chain into. A thick plastic cover the bolts that goes in your preferred anchor point. Economical solution and bullet proof as long as the device is bolted to something solid.
Now the device is bolted on my garage floor.
Hope this help
genephil09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default kryptonite

stronghold anchor is the name of the device
cheers
genephil09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement