696 loses power around 4500rpm, check engine light comes on - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question 696 loses power around 4500rpm, check engine light comes on

Hello All,
My Monster has been running poorly for a few hundred miles. There are alot of symptoms, sometimes it will run fine during a ride, then a few minutes later it will feel like although I am giving it throttle the engine doesn't rev. This seems to happen at about 4000-4500 RPM. After that happens it runs rough, and tends to stall at lights. I have to advance the idle lever to idle faster when this happens and even when pulling away from the light, it seems to lose power after a short distance. Very strange and it's making her extremely un-enjoyable to ride.
I took it in to my local mechanic here in Chicagoland area last fall for these issues, they took my money and said all was fine, on my way home the issues kept happening. I thought it was maybe bad tank of gas so I called them back and they immediately went into a sales pitch about aftermarket exhausts clearing up many issues with these bikes. Before I spend the money for a termignoni or even go back to them again I would like to have a little more knowledge under my belt so any help would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had this problem??? I have approx 3000 miles on her and she's out of warranty. Before this happened she ran like a champ.
Thanks Guys!
Mariojc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

My 696 09' has almost 10000 miles and I have sometimes experienced what you are talking about. After a highway ride, and upon exiting and stopping, my bike will sometimes gurgle and sputter some. I never have had it looked at by the dealer as i feel its' just a bit 'loaded up' with fuel from an extended run.. I cure it by revin er' up a bit and blowin the pipes off...works for me and it may for you. BTW..always premium fuel only.
Toker Indy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

weird, my monster 796 was doing the exact same thing quite frequently when I come to a stop. When I would start moving again, the bike would sputter and choke and would lose power. This was very annoying. Ever since I unhooked the exhaust flapper cable, it has never happened again. Not sure if there is any connection between the two, but my bikes issue never came back.
giantdefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've so far heard of a couple possible reasons for this, 1) on the very early 696's from summer 2008 (which mine was) the coil wires were applied in the wrong order. My bike ran smoothly for the first three years of it's life so I'm thinking this unfortunately won't be the simple case for me.
2) I've heard there is a tube that can get pinched in the fuel tank and cause these types of issues, which seems plausible since mine feels like it's not getting enough fuel at certain times. I'm bringing her in tomorrow, will update once I get it back hopefully cured of this.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Fixed!

So I just got her back last week. Seems the problem was a bit larger than crossed wires or bad gas. Apparently the tech seems to think that on overseas shipments Ducati adds some type of alcohol to the gas tank and that over time this may have caused some type of sediment or "gray sludge" as he referred to it, to build up inside the passages under the throttle body leading to the MAP sensor. This caused the electronics to receive wrong signals fromt he engine and made it run extremely rich. Fortunately there was no damage to the engine, unfortunately it took them a long time to figure out the problem (just over 2 months and 18+ hours of tech time).
So if anyone else is having the symptoms I had, please run this scenario by your technician and save yourself alot of time and headaches!
Thanks for all of the input from those who responded.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariojc1 View Post
So I just got her back last week. Seems the problem was a bit larger than crossed wires or bad gas. Apparently the tech seems to think that on overseas shipments Ducati adds some type of alcohol to the gas tank and that over time this may have caused some type of sediment or "gray sludge" as he referred to it, to build up inside the passages under the throttle body leading to the MAP sensor. This caused the electronics to receive wrong signals fromt he engine and made it run extremely rich. Fortunately there was no damage to the engine, unfortunately it took them a long time to figure out the problem (just over 2 months and 18+ hours of tech time).
So if anyone else is having the symptoms I had, please run this scenario by your technician and save yourself alot of time and headaches!
Thanks for all of the input from those who responded.
I seem to be having the same problem, 2013 monster 696... it runs nice and smooth and seems like after a fill up, the bike starts to sputter and stalls at lights, even if it's fully warmed up, does not want to hold idle...
So, what was the actual fix? cleaning the throttle bodies, passages? map sensor? Please elaborate a bit more so I can go and take my brand new bike apart and fix it
evoardo 696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't have this problem, but it would be great to know what will fix it. Why would Ducati ship their bikes with alcohol in the tank?

Are you guys using Ethanol blended gasoline? If so, which grade?
I wonder if simply using a good fuel system cleaner will remove the "gray sludge".
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default 696

if your not using premium fuel in your bike then that is the reason I think that your having this problem. Ive used premium fuel in my 696 since I bought it and I haven't had the problem that you are having. switch your fuel and see if that is the problem.

2007 S4Rs NFS ever
2013 Street fighter 848 (Sold)
2011 696 ABS (Sold)
Norcal1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal1973 View Post
if your not using premium fuel in your bike then that is the reason I think that your having this problem. Ive used premium fuel in my 696 since I bought it and I haven't had the problem that you are having. switch your fuel and see if that is the problem.
OP already solved his problem, and I am using premium ( the best I can get in my country, which is 92 octane)
What's weird is that it's happened twice since I got the bike ( has 100 km now) and both times it happened a day after a full fuel fill up... I removed the tank already and emptied it, there was some black plastic things inside and I don't know if some of them got to the filter and/or injectors... will try an injector cleaner.
I would really appreciate it if the OP can explain with detail what exactly was done to fix his bike.
evoardo 696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hmmmnmm, In the last 6 months I stopped buying premium gas for my S4RS and Paul Smart 1000DS and only buy the 87 stuff. The Ducati engine is not really built as a high compression engine. High compression is the reason for high octane. The higher the octane, the more stuff they put in there to prevent pre-detonation. This actually translates to less gas. It's a fractional amount, but engines work on incremental, almost immeasurable changes. We've all commented on how well our engines run in cool weather, that tiny change amounts to HP we can feel.

So there you have the flipside. From a guy that bought only premium for at least 10 years for his motorbikes. I still buy premium for my Norton, but that's because I built the engine myself and know it has the higher compression Combat head. I've actually found tiny improvements in switching over to lower grade, mainly in my wallet.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement