Monster 696 2011 oil change - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Monster 696 2011 oil change

Greetings everyone,

I'm trying to do my oil change, but after watching the many tutorial videos, I can't seem to find the 10mm drain plug. I took a picture of my oil pan, and according to the videos, my drain plug should be inside either of the 2 green circles. But there is nothing???

Is it the one circled in blue, below the 14mm oil screen plug?

Thanks!
Gnomechompski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Isn't it the one in the upper right hand corner of your photograph?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mmmm maybe, but in the tutorials they clearly says a 10mm allen bolt, and I only have 5mm allen bolts...derp??
Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's not the one right underneath the oil screen plug.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mmmm yeah I guess you're right.

Anyone knows if they changed the engines on the 2011 696?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Dam buddy. Your monster looks like my dirt bike in that picture.
jsriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

The oil screen plug in on the side of the motor it takes a big allen wrench.
The drain plug is in the center.

Also, if this is your 600 mile oil change, I'd strongly recommend letting the dealer do it. That way if you have any warranty issues in the future, they have documentation that a dealer checked it out.
2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was confused myself while performing the first oil change on my 2011 696. The oil drain plug is the one opposite the plug under the screen cover. The correct allen size is 5mm. Being concerned about stripping the drain plug, I replaced mine with an aftermarket 12Mx1.5 standard magnetic drain plug (one which takes a wrench vice the allen head). You can find them at almost any motorcycle dealership (I picked mine up at a Honda dealership for $8.95). In my humble opinion, it is far to easy to strip the stock plug owing to not having the allen head fully inserted.

If you visit the Ducati website, you can find a link to the illustrated parts list which should help with future maintenance. I also downloaded the 2009 workshop manual and while there are differences between the 2011 and 2009 models, the torque values are the same as well as many of the other internals.

Kudos for performing your own oil change, don't forget the oil screen cover and screen itself accept a 14mm allen head, which can be found at a "Northern Tool" store or similar. If you go to the Ducati dealership, be careful, I was given the wrong drain plug washer for my bike on the first oil change. The washer should be copper and is smaller than the ones used on previous models (which are aluminum I might add). If you purchase the standard plug style, you will likely use an aluminum version and I picked up 5 or 6 when I purchased mine.

On another note, if you would like to use a more standard oil filter, PM me and I can provide info on an adapter which would allow you to use a more commonly available type (no, I don't sell it nor am I promoting it).

While oil and oil filter selection appear to approach a religious debate on the forums, I use Rotella T6 5w-40 (synthetic oil) and a Fram XG3614 oil filter (with the adapter) on my bike without trouble. The stock filter was originally designed for a Citroen (French automobile) among several other European automotive applications...

Hope this helps..

Last edited by elgallo73; 06-23-2011 at 12:00 PM.
elgallo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement