696 front sprocket change - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
H2O

Default 696 front sprocket swap instructions

I thought I would detail this out.

Loosen rear wheel.
Loosen the axle nuts .Turn the chain tension adjuster screws on both sides of the swingarm clockwise by the same number of turns to increase tension or counterclockwise to decrease it. In the latter case, you will need to push the wheel forward.

Removal of the front sprocket
Undo the screws (14) and remove the sprocket cover (13). See Picture 1

Engage a low gear and unscrew the two screws (10) on the sprocket retaining plate (11).
Remove the plate (11) from the gearbox output shaft.
Slide the front sprocket (12) with the chain (9) off the gearbox output shaft and then unhook the chain from the sprocket. Picture 2

Refitting the front sprocket
Check that the splines of the gearbox output shaft and the sprocket are in perfect condition.
Hook the chain (9) onto the sprocket (12).
Install the front sprocket on gearbox output shaft (B) as shown in the figure. Push the sprocket beyond the groove (A). Picture 3

Fit the sprocket retaining plate (11) to the gearbox output shaft (B) and turn it in the groove (A) until the holes in the plate (11) are aligned with the threaded holes in the sprocket (12): position the retaining plate with the rounded edge facing the sprocket. Picture 4
Apply threadlocker to the threads of the screws (10).
Engage first gear.

Tighten the screws (10) to the specified torque (6Nm or 4.5 ft/lbs).

Fit the sprocket cover (13) and tighten the screws (14)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M696_09_G_8_8_00.39.1.8.jpg
Views:	1448
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	98467   Click image for larger version

Name:	M696_09_G_8_8_00.39.1.9.jpg
Views:	1706
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	98468   Click image for larger version

Name:	M696_09_G_8_8_00.39.1.10.jpg
Views:	1322
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	98469   Click image for larger version

Name:	M696_09_G_8_8_00.39.1.11.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	98470  

Last edited by H2O; 12-27-2009 at 08:47 PM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
H2O

Adjust the chain tension. Turn the rear wheel slowly to find the position at which the chain is at its most taut.
With the motorcycle on its sidestand, press with a finger in the center of the bottom run of the chain and measure the distance between the centers of chain link pins and the aluminium swingarm. The distance should be within 46 to 48 mm. Picture 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M696_09_D_4_5_00.18.1.71.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	98472  
Old 12-28-2009, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Love your work H2O!

Thanks for the info.
redmonster696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Looks good. Now I just have to buy the sprocket and follow the instructions. It doesn't look like their are any special tools right?
Boris196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
H2O

No special tools. You will need to make sure the wheel is square and true when tightening up. You cannot rely on the marks on swingarm. Some use a straight edge and measure to a specific spot. Research that a little.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Two extra observations/steps that should help everyone out.

I have just fitted a 14 tooth sprocket (30mins ago) and everything was simple except for one important step that the above instructions (and Ducati's service manual) don't mention.

You must remove the clutch slave cylinder before you can remove the sprocket.

Undo the three screws (15) securing the clutch slave cylinder (14) to the engine and withdraw the unit from the crankcase.

This will let you slide the sprocket off when the time comes.

My other observation is one of SAFETY. Be aware that if you are working on your bike with the side stand down, when you remove the 3 bolts that hold on the left footrest the bike can fall over!!

This is because one of the bolts that holds the left footrest holds the side stand.

Either use a paddock stand
OR
Have someone hold the bike up while you remove the footrest then replace the bolt that secures the side stand and continue to work on your bike. Just remember to do the reverse when you start to reassemble the bike.

I hope this helps everyone.
redmonster696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very helpful, thanks. I have my 14 tooth sprocket on order.
dave696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for this info -- made the sprocket swap (in my case, back to 15 T) easy. However, two questions:

1) What is the torque spec for the axle nuts?

2) How do I make sure the rear wheel is lined up properly?
Dr.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

You guys are a little messed.
-You do not have to loosen or take of the foot controls or footrest ( I do not even understand why you would suggest taking it off).
-You should be working from a bike stand, not the kick-stand/side-stand.
-You need to set the chain tension measuring between the highest and lowest points you can push the chain up and down between the front and rear sprocket, not the swing-arm. Lots of utube vids on that one.
-Take off the slave cylinder or you will never get the sprocket off.
-For centering the the rear tire, the markers work really well on the new monsters. Use them, that is why they are there.

Just my two cents
daddyducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good comment by redmonster696 on removing the clutch slave cylinder. And yes, I also noticed that this was not mentioned in the service manual.

After disassembling everything and loosening the chain as much as possilbe -I found it was still very difficult to get the chain off the front sprocket. I thought I would have to break the chain. Howerver, what worked for me was to remove the chain inwards off of the rear sprocket. Then the chain came off the front sprocket easily and the sprocket came right out.
alibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement