milky white substance in oil/clutch chamber - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default milky white substance in oil/clutch chamber

i have noticed a milky white substance in the viewing windows of both the oil and the clutch. any ideas?
James000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Time to change the oil.

The gluck you refer to is emulsified oil, that is to say you have water in the oil. This will be from either 1) engine has been used on short journeys which do not allow the engine to get hot enough for long enough and hence does not get the opportunity to burn off moisture, or 2) if you have a water cooled engine there may be a coolant leak. If you have a water cooled engine has the a drop in coolant level may be an in indication of coolant leak.

Suggest you drain the oil, clean the motor with engine flush, drain, put in fresh oil and a new filter.
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

you don't need to change it, just run it for a while and get it hot until it clears up.
proclivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

For sure you could run it until it clears up. Oil has a tough job in the first place; having it laden with moisture contamination is going to prevent it from giving the engine the protection it needs. Personally, I’d change the oil and filter.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
For sure you could run it until it clears up. Oil has a tough job in the first place; having it laden with moisture contamination is going to prevent it from giving the engine the protection it needs. Personally, I’d change the oil and filter.

yes, i understand that, but the point is that anyone that doesn't ride their bike often enough will have this problem with Ducatis. It isnt even a problem, it just happens in ducs.

It is impossible to know how much water is in the oil.

Field this question, Buffy: You have the same thing happen to you on your next ride, what would you do?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nothing to worry about, it's just a bit of water mixed with oil. We're talking about some latte macchiato residue in the oil glass, right? Absolutely normal behavior of your bike telling you to ride more :P

Seriously, 100% fix: No need to change te oil. Change the oil when you have to (next inspection, etc). Ride your bike for at least an hour and take it through stop-n-go traffic. That way the oil will get hotter than 100° C (boiling point for the yanks, no idea what that is in Fahrenheit) and you know what's supposed to happen for water then. Vaporize, sir.
Done.
rata911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rata911 View Post
Nothing to worry about, it's just a bit of water mixed with oil. We're talking about some latte macchiato residue in the oil glass, right? Absolutely normal behavior of your bike telling you to ride more :P

Seriously, 100% fix: No need to change te oil. Change the oil when you have to (next inspection, etc). Ride your bike for at least an hour and take it through stop-n-go traffic. That way the oil will get hotter than 100° C (boiling point for the yanks, no idea what that is in Fahrenheit) and you know what's supposed to happen for water then. Vaporize, sir.
Done.

212 Farenheit
Old 11-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thx
Strange scale this Fahrenheit stuff... :P
rata911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Dear Proclivity,

In my opening comment I referred to oil emulsification. If you want to ride with emulsified oil, fine. James was seeking opinion, I gave my opinion. Forums of this nature are principally guys and gals having a chat, offering opinion and views.

In response to your question, yes I would change the oil, but then none of my bikes or cars have ever had the problem – no multiple short rides. My mechanical sympathy would avoid such issues. As we have both said, multiple short rides can be the cause of James’s problem.

Interesting there is a suggestion this is a Ducati issue. Is it only a Ducati issue? Are Ducati’s steam powered for the first 15 minutes?

Regards
Buffy
Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Dear Proclivity,

In my opening comment I referred to oil emulsification. If you want to ride with emulsified oil, fine. James was seeking opinion, I gave my opinion. Forums of this nature are principally guys and gals having a chat, offering opinion and views.

In response to your question, yes I would change the oil, but then none of my bikes or cars have ever had the problem – no multiple short rides. My mechanical sympathy would avoid such issues. As we have both said, multiple short rides can be the cause of James’s problem.

Interesting there is a suggestion this is a Ducati issue. Is it only a Ducati issue? Are Ducati’s steam powered for the first 15 minutes?

Regards
Buffy
The only way emulsification would be a problem is if the entire lot of 3.7 quarts is emulsified. There is no way that is the case unless he/she poured a glass of water in the crankcase. This means it is not entirely emulsified like you are suggesting. Yes, i have only had it happen in my Ducs. I don't know why but it does.

If i want to ride with emulsifed oil..........WTF. Telling them to change their oil could be an expensive endeavor for some who don't change their own. I think the going rate is $125 at a ducati dealership and only $35 if you do it yourself. Telling them to change their oil is a complete waste of money and tells me that you don't know what is going on here.

to OP, run it hot.....stop and go traffic like another poster said and it will be cured.

Last edited by proclivity; 11-11-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement