What makes a stator and regulator go bad? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What makes a stator and regulator go bad?

Well I kept killing batteries last summer and the dealership ended up replacing my regulator and then a few weeks later my stator. Went to start my bike today and it started but as I was turning it around I had rode it about three feet and the engine died and wouldn't start after that. Now the bike is doing the same thing it was doing when the stator and regulator went out so I can only assume something is causing this? So is there generally something that wrecks these? Any help appreciated.
pintsizejesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Someguy Send a message via Yahoo to Someguy
Default Re: What makes a stator and regulator go bad?

You have some sort of wiring issue. These items should not both be going, so I would stop examining them. They are a symptom, not the issue. I don't know what would cause the issue in of itself, but it needs to be probed deeper. Someone with more knowledge on electricals will chime in, I'm sure.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well I don't plan on tackling this problem, the bike is under warranty. I was just curious trying to understand what could be causing this.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

They probably missed the real problem the first two times, or at least the second time. Stators rarely fail unless very old or damaged. I have a feeling the dealer is diagnosing by guesswork. Though diagnosis of a problem like this over the internet is iffy, more info will help, particularly since the problem is probably intermittent. Tell us all the symptoms.
22080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

"What makes a stator and regulator go bad?"

Wine, women, and song. 8)
Old 04-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

There really arn't any symptoms which is kinda the problem. The bike is a 2007 S2R800 and I have had it less than a year with less than 2k miles on it. It was running fine ten seconds prior to it doing this. I backed it out of my garage gave it some gas to start turning it around and when I let off the gas and pulled the clutch in it died which I assume is normal because it was kinda cold and I had just started the bike. When I tried to restart the bike it just clicks, the fuel pump primes and the check engine light comes on. The oil light also stays on but I thought that went away once you started the bike.

When I had this problem back in the summer they replaced my stator, regulator and battery and it worked but after that it started to snow so I didn't get a lot of chances to ride and I have maybe put 200 miles on it since then. Thats all the info that comes to mind right now. Thanks for all the replies thus far.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintsizejesus
There really arn't any symptoms which is kinda the problem. The bike is a 2007 S2R800 and I have had it less than a year with less than 2k miles on it. It was running fine ten seconds prior to it doing this. I backed it out of my garage gave it some gas to start turning it around and when I let off the gas and pulled the clutch in it died which I assume is normal because it was kinda cold and I had just started the bike. When I tried to restart the bike it just clicks, the fuel pump primes and the check engine light comes on. The oil light also stays on but I thought that went away once you started the bike.

When I had this problem back in the summer they replaced my stator, regulator and battery and it worked but after that it started to snow so I didn't get a lot of chances to ride and I have maybe put 200 miles on it since then. Thats all the info that comes to mind right now. Thanks for all the replies thus far.
Actually, that helps. Now we know you have a very low or no charging situation and your bike probably runs on battery until the battery is no longer able to run the bike. Your dealer should have been able to deal with this situation. Is there another dealer nearby? A second opinion would be helpful. If you want, you can try troubleshooting the problem yourself. Here is a good guide:
http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ding-guide.php
Do check the 40A voltage regulator fuse by the battery and the connection where the stator wires connect to the regulator. The stator wires come out of the right side engine cover. I don't know where the connection is on your bike though.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like my dealer and the head mechanic is very good but I don't know if it's always him thats working on the bike because there are a few mechanics there. I was going to check the fuses when I got the chance, so if the 40A fuse is blown does that mean my regulator is shot?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintsizejesus
I like my dealer and the head mechanic is very good but I don't know if it's always him thats working on the bike because there are a few mechanics there. I was going to check the fuses when I got the chance, so if the 40A fuse is blown does that mean my regulator is shot?
No. If it is blown, change it and see what happens. Do keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

I checked the fuses on the battery and they were all there and working. I couldn't find the 40A fuse but I checked all wires and they seemed to be in order except for one coming off of the negative terminal of the battery and I'm not sure if it's not supposed to be connected or what it is. I took a picture of the wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0148.JPG (150.1 KB, 53 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb 100_0148.JPG_thumb (214.1 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement