Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

M600 Won't start / turn over. Please help!!!

11K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  22080 
#1 ·
Hi, its me first time posting a question so i'll try to be as detailed as possible

When i went to start my 2001 M600 monster after winter storage it won't turn over :-[ , the instrument panel lights up when the key is turned but absolutly nothin happens when I press the starter switch. I changed the spark plugs before trying to start her up (these are the correct plugs and fitted correctly) and when it didn't start I checked all of the fuses under the seat and they are fine. Also when I pressed the starter I listened for clicks etc around the engine/carb area but there was nothing (Don't know if this is normal or not) I am really starting to get annoyed with my duke. As it is probably an elictrical problem I checked lights etc to make sure that everything was working properly, all was fine apart from the left indicator took notions of working fine and then blinking quickly (I don't know if this is related to my starting problrm but just thought I would mention it). ???

Please help my poor duke, it has been locked up for 4 months and all she wants is to get on the road

Thanks in Advance [thumbsup]

#2 ·
Likely battery related.
Try jump start. If start = new battery. Thoroughly clean connecting cables to it.

How has the battery been cared for this winter?

#3 ·
greenmonster said:
Likely battery related.
Try jump start. If start = new battery. Thoroughly clean connecting cables to it.

How has the battery been cared for this winter?
hi, thanks for the reply

Should have said that I have tried jumping it off another motorbike but still nothing happened as I sorta thought it might be the battery but the cables are clean and the instrument panel lights up so it led me to think it might be somethin more serious.

I have been lookin at buying an accumate battery charger off ebay (probably gonna need a battery charger anyway) just to completly rule out the battery

Any other thoughts on what might be causing my problem?

#4 ·
Check the starter solenoid.

There is a small plug that comes from the starter button that frequently comes loose. You'll see it just above the two battery cables.

Actually remove and re seat it.

If it won't start use a screwdriver to jump across the two cables.

If it cranks that is your problem.

Make sure the bike is in neutral.

#5 ·
I have an '01 M600 and have suffered from an intermittent no-starting problem myself. I traced this problem through the entire electrical system, starting at the kickstand switch and moved all the way through to the starter, than from the start switch to the relays. My problem was that the wires headed from the main wiring harness to the start switch (kill switch) were broken. This happened because of repeated turning, which put stress on the wires. I have since re-soldered the wires and it worked temporarily, and now I'm in the process of replacing the entire bit of wiring to make sure the problem goes away completely. Next time you try to start your bike, locate the wires that go from the start/kill switch and follow them to the main wiring harness. The ones that gave me the problems were the two brown ones (ground wires) so just hold the start button down and just jiggle them and squeeze them a little, see if the bike fires. If it does, problem located. If not, keep looking! I had this same problem and believe me, it sucked. I had the problem in the summer though, so count yourself lucky!!

DS

#9 ·
Hi, thanks for all the responses, I found a loose wire at the starter solinoid (under the airbox/coils) and now she turns over when the starter is pressed.

Unfortunatly i have found a new problem, she won't fire up, heres what i have done sofar:

- I fully regharged the battery before trying to start it
- As I said there are new spark plugs in but I also tried the old ones after giving them a clean to make sure that I wasn't given the wrong ones for my bike, no difference.
- I checked the wires around the coils near the battery and all seems fine, no dirty or disconnected wires.
- I checked the fuses, all ok

I have tried everything I can think of, if anyone has an idea why she won't start please let me know

Thanks in advance

#10 ·
First make sure you have spark. Remove an ignition wire from a spark plug, take one of the plugs that is not in the bike. Take that plug, put the wire on the plug, hold the plug against a good ground with something insulated, or better yet, an alligator clip. Crank engine and look for spark. If you have good spark, prime the engine with fresh fuel and try again. Your problem may be stale fuel or gummed up carbs.

#11 ·
howie said:
First make sure you have spark. Remove an ignition wire from a spark plug, take one of the plugs that is not in the bike. Take that plug, put the wire on the plug, hold the plug against a good ground with something insulated, or better yet, an alligator clip. Crank engine and look for spark. If you have good spark, prime the engine with fresh fuel and try again. Your problem may be stale fuel or gummed up carbs.
Hi, thanks for the reply, I have just had the carbs checked and cleaned out because it was giving a few problems before it went into storage, they were clogged up. I should have said that I drained the old fuel out and put in fresh fuel before trying to start it because I was advised that there may be water in the fuel causeing my carb problem.

I have checked both the old and new spark plugs in the bike and wires from the caps all seem fine but never thought to do a check for spark, so I will check that now and get back to you.

I f there are any other possible causes please let me know

Thanks

#12 ·
Hi all

Finally got her goin ;D Thanks to everyone who helped [clap]

Turned out the spark was fine, I pulled the fuel line out of the carb to make sure that petrol was gettin to it (there were no problems) when I put it back together she started so must have been like an air lock or a needle stickin in the carb. [thumbsup] [cheeky]

#13 ·
[thumbsup] OK, Well I went to start my bike today to go for a wee spin on it. Though it would turn over I could smell petrol...So I tried starting it again, and alot of petrol shoot out the exhausts. ???. There is also petrol running out of the overflow pipes from the carb, I know when I was working on the bike yesterday, it wasnt starting due to the needle sticking in the carb and the bike not getting petrol, so maybe the needle is now sticking open giving it too much petrol. :'(
Any suggestions again would be great...Trying to get it on the road for the summer....

Thanks... ;D

#14 ·
Sounds very much like you have a sticky float. I would pull the carbs and make sure your needle/seat are not damaged and/or clogged with tarnish from old fuel. Use carb cleaner and a toothbrush to clean it out. While you're in there, clean the rest of the carb in the same way.

DS

#15 ·
Hi, I have noticed that the carb heater (nipple thing on the side of the carb) is broken, I was readin some of the other similar problems on here and it can cause problems in cold weather. It winter here (UK) and the bike is playing up as described in the earlier post.

Is there anywhere I can get a replacement heater shipped to the UK or is there a way of testing that the carb float is just sticking cause of the cold (like put a hot water bottle beside the float chambers for 15 minutes then try starting it).

???

#16 ·
cunnont said:
Hi, I have noticed that the carb heater (nipple thing on the side of the carb) is broken, I was readin some of the other similar problems on here and it can cause problems in cold weather. It winter here (UK) and the bike is playing up as described in the earlier post.

Is there anywhere I can get a replacement heater shipped to the UK or is there a way of testing that the carb float is just sticking cause of the cold (like put a hot water bottle beside the float chambers for 15 minutes then try starting it).

???
The heater is to prevent carb icing while running. You have at least two problems to address first, sticking float and inoperative fuel vacuum shut off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.