Using technoresearch VDSTS tools to reset TPS? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Using technoresearch VDSTS tools to reset TPS?

I usually reset my TPS using a Fluke multimeter but i have been told it can be done with the VDSTS software anyone know the procedurea as I have the gear so would like to try it.
jerryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Using technoresearch VDSTS tools to reset TPS?

The fluke works with the bikes that have adjustable TPS. The 07s (maybe some 06s?) have non-adjustable TPS and the only way to zero it is through a computer link. The dealer can do it with the DDS or you can get a VDSTS from technoresearch to do it yourself.
stankbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

My bike is a 2001 S4 and i already have the VDSTS gear , Should i not be able to use the VDSTS info as a visual guide as I adjust the setting of TPS instead of the multimeter?The multimeter shows TPS as millivolts I set it at 150mv and it works great but VDSTS show it as a percentage not mv.

jerry
Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

We probably have different versions of VDST but yes, if you set the TPS with a multimeter and then measure it with the VDST then that reading *should* be exactly where you would want to set it or check it using the VDST. That sounds like it would be an easier way to go. I've used the multimeter to set my Moto Guzzi TPS and it was a PITA making a jumper that allowed a voltage reading. Those connectors are not easy to come by here in the US.
stankbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok so when It is set to 150mv on the Fluke that will give me the baseline for the VDSTS which i can memorise, then next time just use the VDSTS baseline when i set TPS.

HIGH plains drifter one of my favourite movies but all time favourite is The Good. the bad and the ugly.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

jerryz, in my VDSTS there is a reading for throttle position in degrees. On the menus look for 'Options' then selsect 'Channels/Mode'. I can configure it to show different settings: air temp, engine temp, throttle position, RPM, MPH, etc. Look through the menus and you should find the selection for what is displayed.

Regardless, if you've got the earlier TPS that you adjust by lossening the two screws and turning to get 150mV then doing that with a multimeter is just fine. Once adjusted VDSTS should show the throttle position somewhere between 2.3 and 2.7 degrees when fully closed. The reading depends on your model, I think most are 2.7.

Scott
scott_araujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

If I'm not mistaken, and I very well could be, you should get a zero degree reading if the TPS adjustment is done properly. The 2.3 to 2.7 degree shows after adjusting the idle speed.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Not on newer bikes with linear TPS at least. At idle the butterflies should be at a slight angle. Resetting them to the correct angle mechanically can be a pain which is why you should never touch the throttle stop screws. The TPSreset by software for linear TPS assumes that the butterflies are at the proper mechanical angle and then tells the ECU that this position is X degrees.

The idle speed is set with the air bypass screws. I think the newest 2V 1000's have a stepper motor that automatically adjusts the idle speed. I don't know what the setup for carbies and older FI is like but this is the case for my bike (2003 800) and similar motors.

Scott
Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

But Jerry is not working on a new Ducati with linear TPS. He is working on one that has a nonlinear TPS and is manual setting it to 150mv, which if I'm not mistaken is considered zero degrees, and he is asking how to use his VDST to do the same and what it should show him. And IMHO he should continue setting his TPS by voltage as it is more accurate then zero degreeing his TPS with the VDST.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm sorry if I was unclear.

He should adjust his TPS in the way he usualy does to 150mV. Then take an angle reading with VDSTS. Whatever that angle is should be his reference angle. In the future, he can reset the TPS by adjusting it to 150mV on the multi-meter or the reference angle on VDSTS. I think either would be just as accurate as the other.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement