Programmable ignition for 2V carbies!!! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Programmable ignition for 2V carbies!!!

So, finally got time for the Dyno last week, I know a few of you been waiting for my results...

But,
Had to split engine (oil galley plug ) this spring for the first time , took a while...
Lots of testing ign curves w butt dyno, think it`s no 35 now....
Bought a 907IE that was my new love during summer.
My two friends w a 750 & a 900SS w Mikuni CV carbs I wanted to have as references haven`t left their garage all summer!

Anyway, enough excuses:

Ignition used is an Ignitech TCI-P4 programmable unit. Read all here and you could also download
the software and have a look att all features: http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm
Go to products, then TCI-P4.

What you do is:
1. Choose engine/ignition type (Cagiva 750)
2. Set rev limiter ( I choose 9,5k )
3. Set base advance ( go w default 10 )
4. Program a curve of your choice, at ten points you choose RPM & preadvance degrees.
DONE! Well, it takes some testing....duuh

Hard facts (my other engine mods, see below):

After adjusting A/F, I switched to OEM ign modules on the Dyno.
Where difference was largest, 5200 RPM, new ign gave + 3,5 Hp & + 6,5 Nm!
From 3700-6700 2Hp & 3Nm or more all the way.

If I use the same correction factor Ducati seems to use when they went from 84 Hp at rear to 95 at crank, 13%, I got at crank (comparison w a -07 Monster 1kDS, factory specs):
91,2 Hp/7200 RPM (95/8000) and 100,3 Nm/5500 (94/6k). SAE numbers. Sorry, broken camera &
no scanner so no chart.
According to the very experienced tuner, no signs of pinging on standard 95 oktan gas.

I`m very happy w the results!
It`s so fun in the twisties, kept up quite good w a Mille R Factory, 749S & a M S4R yesterday.

Some more +:

1. Cost: 100 Eu! And replaces both OEM modules.
2. Instant start.
3. Engine feels like it has gotten a huge vitamin shoot.
4. Snakebite throttleresponse, as good or better as a well tuned ie bike.
5. So torquey in 5/6th gear. Lurking in 6th at 60mph, then passing is a breeze & most addictive.
6. Very smooth low revs/small throttle openings. Responds from 2k in 4th w/o rattling to pieces.
Less aggressive advance in this RPM range and you`ll get this overall smoothness.
7. Aggresive sound! Sounds like something is happening down there...
8. Stuff is supplied to make an extension cable to place the unit at your own choice.

Any cons? Well the Czechs are not so responsive w mail. But you`ll get one.
Still have a question why I had to have 400 Ohm resistance in parallell over ign pulse from motor, no answer from manufacturer/distributor. Too strong pickup signal was disturbing idle.
Tried to understand base advance and get that right but it doesn`t seem to matter, default 10 degrees seems good.

I`ll be happy to answer any questions!
(And I have no stocks or economical interest in this company... )

900SS heads w polished ports &amp; matched inlets, Keihin FCR 41 w KN pods, JE HC pistons, opened exhaust xover, SilMoto highmount ss,&nbsp; lw flywheel, alu clutchbasket &amp; plates, DynaCoils, Ignitech TCI-P4 programmable ignition, 15/41 gearing. <br />Ohlins rear, early 90`s SS Showa f adj fork w Ohlins springs, Toby st damper, Nichols Engine Bolts, rear raised 14mm, forks 23mm over triple, Sato f adj clipons, R6 wheels w EBC 300mm rotors w EBC HH. <br />Corbin seat. LED: Turn &amp; rear , idiots &amp; reg plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 AM

Re: Programmable ignition for 2V carbies!!!

i cant get the software to run - keep getting a not a valid win32 application error message.

how do you buy one - just email them?
post #3 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

That`s funny, I downloaded software again just now and started it w/o any problems.
Maybe try it on another PC? Think it works from OS W95(!) and on.

Yes, you just mail them. They can be slow w answers. Payment via bankers draft
here in Europe anyway.

900SS heads w polished ports &amp; matched inlets, Keihin FCR 41 w KN pods, JE HC pistons, opened exhaust xover, SilMoto highmount ss,&nbsp; lw flywheel, alu clutchbasket &amp; plates, DynaCoils, Ignitech TCI-P4 programmable ignition, 15/41 gearing. <br />Ohlins rear, early 90`s SS Showa f adj fork w Ohlins springs, Toby st damper, Nichols Engine Bolts, rear raised 14mm, forks 23mm over triple, Sato f adj clipons, R6 wheels w EBC 300mm rotors w EBC HH. <br />Corbin seat. LED: Turn &amp; rear , idiots &amp; reg plate.

post #4 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 AM

Software ran fine for me, but there was no choice for Cagiva.

cycle-cat clip-ons, corbin seat, dp lowmount aluminum cans, 15/41, dynojet stage 2, drilled airbox, spa tach/ speedo, supersport fender, race tech front, ohlins rear,dp carbon tail, braided lines, 100w H4<br /><br /><br /><br />&quot; Of all the things I've lost; It's my mind I miss most &quot;<br /><br />By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends
post #5 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

My mistake.
You choose Classic ( 1 lobe, 1 or 2 pickup) on Motorbike type on Bike tab.
The default map I got is for a Cagiva 750 Elephant he told me.

post #6 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 AM

What's that email friend? This is just what I've been waiting for - I'll start the ball rolling with an order for 3.

www.hurricanemotorcycles.com
A man that works with his hands is a laborer.
A man that works with his hands & mind is a craftsman.
A man that works with his hands, mind, & heart, is an artist.
post #7 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm
What's that email friend? This is just what I've been waiting for - I'll start the ball rolling with an order for 3.
Try this Norm...it's on the site.

ignitech@ignitech.cz

cycle-cat clip-ons, corbin seat, dp lowmount aluminum cans, 15/41, dynojet stage 2, drilled airbox, spa tach/ speedo, supersport fender, race tech front, ohlins rear,dp carbon tail, braided lines, 100w H4<br /><br /><br /><br />&quot; Of all the things I've lost; It's my mind I miss most &quot;<br /><br />By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends
post #8 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:55 PM

Wow this is cool....how dificult is the wiring...is your bike otherwise stock??

post #9 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it is cool.
Module is bolt on, 20 second switch, no wiring needed!
See my engine mods in my profile below in my posts.

post #10 of 397 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 05:30 PM

downloaded it again and it works fine. tps voltage has the same orientation as a map sensor too, so you could use a map sensor to give extra part throttle advance.

i'll email him from work tomorrow to see about getting one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode