Cylinder head gasket - what to do when no longer available? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 04-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cylinder head gasket - what to do when no longer available?

Hi guys,

Vintage bike resto question: whaddya do when the cylinder head gasket for your motor is no longer available and an engine rebuild is needed?

This isn't gonna be for a Duc, it would be for a 1973 Honda CL175 (SOHC parallel twin), but I'm hoping the principles behind faking a replacement cylinder head gasket are similar (or not damaging it on removal).

Thanks! [thumbsup]
duc_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cylinder head gasket - what to do when no longer available?

o to the local auto parts store and get some gasket maker. It's like a cork or carboard like material that you can trace the original gasket shape onto and cut to fit...
25695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to the world of bike restoration.
Improvisation is the name of the game.
Your CL-175 will probably work fine with a replacement head gasket made from oil proof gasket material.
Trace the old gasket carefully or transfer the shape with a fine coat of wet paint.
Make sure you don't miss any oil holes.
Clean any fuzz around cut holes in the new gasket so it wont end up in your oil.

On a higher compression engine a gasket made from soft copper or aluminum is often the ticket.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

You call guys like Ohio Cycles
http://www.ohiocycle.com/#CATALOG

or M3 Racing
http://www.m3racing.com/

or post in the Classifieds on the AHRMA Website
http://ahrma.org/
Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAKID
o to the local auto parts store and get some gasket maker. It's like a cork or carboard like material that you can trace the original gasket shape onto and cut to fit...
This would be good, if it wasn't a head gasket. I know that I can get either fiber or cork gasket material, and that's good for most stuff, but the actual head gasket is a little different.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did abit of research for ya. These are fro the Ohio Cycle site. Heres the part #s and costs. They are abit difficult to deal with as305 you have to download and print out the PDF order form and send a Money Order with to get your parts, but they are the source for old Honda parts. Ive ordered quite a few parts for my 74 Trail 70 and my 64 305 Dream.

CL175 12191-235-010 CYLINDER GASKET 10.00
CA,CL175 12251-235-000 CYLINDER HEAD GASKET 30.00
Old 04-17-2007, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc_fan
This would be good, if it wasn't a head gasket. I know that I can get either fiber or cork gasket material, and that's good for most stuff, but the actual head gasket is a little different.

Thanks for the responses guys!
If it's not watercooled, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But with what ducman found, it's pretty cheap...
25695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey ducman, when I opened that link, I started poking around and saw the same items. Also saw some of the carb parts (like the needle and needle jet holder) that are listed as "no longer available" elsewhere on the web.

I aughtta be able to get it up and running again with sources like this. I'm still not sure what's wrong, and I hope it doesn't require more than rebuilding the carbs, but I figured I'd start the process of finding potential sources if I really need to dig into the motor.

I know asking about head gaskets is a little out there for doing the initial troubleshooting. I was actually looking for carb kits when I realised how many of the engine parts for this thing are listed as "no longer available", and it kinda spooked me. Not so sure I want to ride it on the street anymore with how much of a PITA it would be to repair or replace it. So anyway, I got curious and figured I'd ask how one goes about fudging semi-major repair stuff like head gaskets.

The bike is otherwise mint. Just won't run anymore. Had a hard time staying running last year (it'd barely putt along on 1 cyl), and now it's just being a complete bizatch. I'm starting with ignition and fuel, and we'll work our way inward from there.

(The bike is at my parents' place in Oregon, BTW, and I'll be digging into it once I move back to the Portland area at the end of May - I'm figuring out my plan of attack in advance)

Thanks again! [thumbsup]
Old 04-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

theres a site out of Canada that has carb kits for everything I've ever looked for. I'm thinking it's like Sirius or something like that. Check ebay, they are always on there.

Just checked. here they are:

http://www.siriusconinc.com/default.asp
2001 Honda XR650L Dual Sport
1994 Harley Davidson Heritage
1978 Honda CB750K with sidecar
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans
1976 Honda CB750K
1973 Norton 850 Commando
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Triumph Trophy 650
1971 Yamaha RT1 360 Enduro
1970 Triumph Tiger 650