»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Monster 695 Oil Change

Okay, maybe I'm just being dumb, but I can't find the drain plug on my 695. The owner's manual doesn't have any information about changing the oil (only checking and topping up).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
pdbogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Monster 695 Oil Change

I don't mean to be a weinie but if you don't know where the oil drain plug is, perhaps you shouldn't be changing the oil? It is a pretty basic task.

Look for a reatively large round plug with a pretty large allen (12mm??? I don't recall, I just grab what fits) It is the bigger of the two that you will see.

You will also want to pull the oil screen and check/clean it. It is the plug on the right side of the engine that has a wire hooked to it. Once that plug is out, you will need a 14 mm allen (rather large and not usually found at Wal Mart) to remove the screen...Check FAQ on this Board...should be help there?

I remember reading a post here not too long ago of a guy who torqued the screen plug to the spec for the oil drain plug and he cracked his engine case.....Soooo changing the oil can lead to problems if you are not sure what you are doing.

That 14 mm screen was really in there tight on my machine the first time I changed the oil on my S2r...be aware.

It is an easy task but if you are not very mechanically inclined, you may want your dealer to do the first one.

L.T. Snyder's book on Ducati maintenance would be a great help too.

Good luck.
'59' Ducati 200 Americano (Restoration in process) <br />'72' Ducati 750 GT (2)<br />'80' Ducati 900 SS<br />'99' Ducati ST4 <br />'06' Ducati S2R 1000 <br />'73' Triumph Tiger 750 <br />'75' Norton 850 Commando&nbsp; <br />'76' OSSA 250 Super Pioneer
T. J. Fejka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Monster 695 Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Duckman
I don't mean to be a weinie but if you don't know where the oil drain plug is, perhaps you shouldn't be changing the oil? It is a pretty basic task.

Look for a reatively large round plug with a pretty large allen (12mm??? I don't recall, I just grab what fits) It is the bigger of the two that you will see.

You will also want to pull the oil screen and check/clean it. It is the plug on the right side of the engine that has a wire hooked to it. Once that plug is out, you will need a 14 mm allen (rather large and not usually found at Wal Mart) to remove the screen...Check FAQ on this Board...should be help there?

I remember reading a post here not too long ago of a guy who torqued the screen plug to the spec for the oil drain plug and he cracked his engine case.....Soooo changing the oil can lead to problems if you are not sure what you are doing.

That 14 mm screen was really in there tight on my machine the first time I changed the oil on my S2r...be aware.

It is an easy task but if you are not very mechanically inclined, you may want your dealer to do the first one.

L.T. Snyder's book on Ducati maintenance would be a great help too.

Good luck.
I'm not inept, I just didn't want to go undoing random plugs on my engine, only to find out that my assumption about it being the oil plug was wrong. Thanks for the pointers; I'll be careful.
pdbogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement