Tach connection problem - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 05-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tach connection problem

Hi, this may have been listed before, but I could not find an answer to my next problem.
I replaced the speedometer for a combo with tach. As soon as I hook up all 3 leads it kils my ignition.
The wiring is straight forward Plus, Ground and Signal. The wiring colors on my tach do not match up with the manuals of relevant bikes.
My tach conections are Red, Grey and Black/green.
If I hook up Red to + and Grey to the ignition coil than the tach works but is very nervous and shows more than double the rpm's
As soon as I hook up the Black/Green wire to ground my coil shorts out and stops firing.
Just for testing I switched wires, but no results.
If anybody can help me on this one would be great !
ST2: FRAME, TRIPLE TREE, SEAT, TANK AND PANELS<br />M750:* ENGINE, FRONT FORK WHEELS AND EXHAUST.<br />RUNNING NICE AND AGRESSIVE ON WEBER IDA40.<br />BIKE TOTALLY BUILT FROM 30+ EBAY MEMBERS<br />(GERMANY, NETHERLANDS, CANADA AND US)
dumonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2006, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tach connection problem

You have the connections correct: red is power, black/green is ground, grey is the signal. Do you have the grey wire connected to the negative side of the ignition coil (either green/brown or grey, not red which is the posiive side)? The is the side that is grounded by the ignition control unit. If so then I would say that the tach might be defective. Is the tach from a caburated bike? A tach from an fuel-injected bike will not work on a carburated bike, but I wouldn't expect it to kill the spark.

Brian
Motobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Where does the combo come from?

Quote:
ST2: FRAME, TRIPLE TREE, SEAT, TANK AND PANELS
M750: ENGINE, FRONT FORK WHEELS AND EXHAUST.
RUNNING NICE AND AGRESSIVE ON WEBER IDA40.
BIKE TOTALLY BUILT FROM 30+ EBAY MEMBERS
(GERMANY, NETHERLANDS, CANADA AND US)
Sounds very interesting, any pics to share?
900SS heads w polished ports &amp; matched inlets, Keihin FCR 41 w KN pods, JE HC pistons, opened exhaust xover, SilMoto highmount ss,&nbsp; lw flywheel, alu clutchbasket &amp; plates, DynaCoils, Ignitech TCI-P4 programmable ignition, 15/41 gearing. <br />Ohlins rear, early 90`s SS Showa f adj fork w Ohlins springs, Toby st damper, Nichols Engine Bolts, rear raised 14mm, forks 23mm over triple, Sato f adj clipons, R6 wheels w EBC 300mm rotors w EBC HH. <br />Corbin seat. LED: Turn &amp; rear , idiots &amp; reg plate.
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thx f pics! You should publish them here, very cool carb combo & helluva job! [thumbsup]

If tach came from -00 M900 it`s from a injection bike
& doesn`t work on 750 carb.
900SS heads w polished ports &amp; matched inlets, Keihin FCR 41 w KN pods, JE HC pistons, opened exhaust xover, SilMoto highmount ss,&nbsp; lw flywheel, alu clutchbasket &amp; plates, DynaCoils, Ignitech TCI-P4 programmable ignition, 15/41 gearing. <br />Ohlins rear, early 90`s SS Showa f adj fork w Ohlins springs, Toby st damper, Nichols Engine Bolts, rear raised 14mm, forks 23mm over triple, Sato f adj clipons, R6 wheels w EBC 300mm rotors w EBC HH. <br />Corbin seat. LED: Turn &amp; rear , idiots &amp; reg plate.
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Tach wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobee View Post
You have the connections correct: red is power, black/green is ground, grey is the signal. Do you have the grey wire connected to the negative side of the ignition coil (either green/brown or grey, not red which is the posiive side)? The is the side that is grounded by the ignition control unit. If so then I would say that the tach might be defective. Is the tach from a caburated bike? A tach from an fuel-injected bike will not work on a carburated bike, but I wouldn't expect it to kill the spark.

Brian
Are you sure the grey is the signal and the black/green is the ground ? I ask because the grey wire in the multi pin connctor to the cluster goes to the side stand switch which switches to ground. Should I connect the grey wire and black/green wire directly and not go through the multi pin connector ?
FrankCondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement