When to Change Timing belts? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 05-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When to Change Timing belts?

I ride an '02 620 which has about 4,000miles on it now.

Walked into the shop over wknd and was told that i should look into changin my timing belts.

My natural instinct always tells me to never trust anybody in a shop...so is there any validity to his recommendation?

I read it shoudl be every 2 yrs or 12k? But despite the amount of riding, with the lapse in time, they should be changed regardless?

thanks in advance
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: When to Change Timing belts?

yup. you should probably change 'em. my "lot lizard" '00 900 got its belts changed at around 6000 miles.

it's not hard to do, and a pair of belts are cheap insurance against dropping a valve.
zarn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarn02
yup. you should probably change 'em. my "lot lizard" '00 900 got its belts changed at around 6000 miles.

it's not hard to do, and a pair of belts are cheap insurance against dropping a valve.
+1.
Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
Speeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I let a set go 3 yrs, but was nervous the whole 3rd year. But yeah, 12K or every two years is cheap insurance.
Mark J<br />95 M900; **SOLD**<br />Desmo Owners Club card # 00203441<br />88 YSR 50; **SOLD**<br />92 Ducati 900 SS; track bike. Nichols stuff; FCRs; Dyna Coils; Air Tech retro NCR fairing; custom retro tailpiece; shorty CF cans; etc.; **SOLD**<br />99 BMW F 650 - Hey! It was built in Italy, too! By Aprilia for BMW!<br />83 BMW R80 ST<br />2000 Triumph 955 Daytona for the track only for sale cheap - PM me.
Mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

nothing cheap about those belts. the ducati belts (at least the ones i got from the dealer) were 40 a pop. i saw chris has some third party ones online for something like 20 a piece. make sure you plan ahead so you can order them online and not have the situation where you are so desperate to get the bike back together, that you end up spending twice as much as you have to so you can have your parts that day.
ecl207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1305
I let a set go 3 yrs, but was nervous the whole 3rd year.* But yeah, 12K or every two years is cheap insurance.
Heh - I don't think I've ever run a pair of belts more than a year - but I just changed them last Saturday at almost 24000km (about 15k miles). (I'd been meaning to get to them every weekend since the end of March, but just got too busy...).

big
bigiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I discussed belt life with Jim Davis, the mechanic at Nichols Mfg. He's one of the best Ducati mechanics in the Bay Area and has seen many engines with broken belts and has changed lots and lots of belts.

He said that the biggest problem with aging belts is when they spend quite a bit of time (months) in one spot. The part of the belt that is bent over a pulley hardens and is the spot most likely to break. He said that a bike that gets ridden at least weekly wouldn't have a problem going three years, but one that has sat for two years without riding would be in high danger of breaking a belt. And any Ducati with the older belts with the white lettering is in great danger of belt breakage.

So since I ride my ST2 all year, it's going to be at the three year point when I get the belts changed (coming up soon). The 888, which occasionally goes a couple of months without riding, will get new belts at 2000 miles because that will be the two year point.

You can decide for yourself if it's worth taking the chance, but if you break a belt, your valves and pistons will collide causing lots of expensive damage. Is it worth taking the chance?
ScottRNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R. Nelson
You can decide for yourself if it's worth taking the chance, but if you break a belt, your valves and pistons will collide causing lots of expensive damage.* Is it worth taking the chance?
For me, $40 is cheap insurance. Besides, it's such any easy change out, why NOT do it every 12k or 2 yrs?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

the lone ducati dealer here told me it will cost me more than $200 have my belts replaced.

My 2004m620 is now at 10,000kms. The mechanic at the dealer inspected it and told me the belts are still ok. They told me to have the belts replaced at 15,000kms.
robbielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbielg
the lone ducati dealer here told me it will cost me more than $200 have my belts replaced.
$200? holy damn! i'd be learnin' to do that myself, were i you.
zarn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement