Lights come on but wont start, not even make a crank! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 02-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
arkons

Default Lights come on but wont start, not even make a crank!

Unfortunately I had to move and had my ducati sitting out on my sisters porch for quite sometime. Last night I went to run it and the lights came on and I pressed the start button, nothing but a little click at the rear of the motorcycle, no crank noise or anything. What is going on??? The battery isn't dead. Also my gauges are completely fogged!
Please help, thanks

Also its a 2002 monster 620.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lights come on but wont start, not even make a crank!

are you positive the battery isn't low? I've had to jump start both my M620 and S4R, even though the lights came on and the gauges did their scwhoopty when I turned the key. It takes a fully charged battery to turn the bike over.

Otherwise, start checking fuses. I blew one while wiring some lights once and lights came on, but bike no worky.
Why would I want to mod it?<br />DP clutch cover, C-Cat spring keepers, galv. <br />DP inspection hole cover<br />C/F abbreviated tail<br />PCIII USB<br />DP Termignoni slipons, open airbox, &amp; ECU<br />CRG mirrors<br />C-Cat Frame Sliders<br />All c/f clearcoated<br />Silver leaf &quot;Ducati&quot; emblem<br /><br />2007 Ducati 1098 S Tricolore<br />2006 Yamaha TTR-230<br />2006 Yamaha Bruin 350
tempdragon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
arkons

thanks for the advice, where are the battery terminals located, ill trickle charge them. Is it safe to jump off a car?
Thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Unlatch the seat at the back and take it off of the bike. Unlatch the fuel tank at the front and lift it up. There should be a little rod on the left side of the bike to prop it up with. If there is more than about two gallons of gas in there, don't leave it up for long. You'll see the battery and the terminals. It is generally considered better to have the car turned off when jumping from a car, but opinions go both ways.
ScottRNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think my M620 I left the car off...with the S4R, I had to start the car...incidentally, I have jump started a helicopter once in my life...
Why would I want to mod it?<br />DP clutch cover, C-Cat spring keepers, galv. <br />DP inspection hole cover<br />C/F abbreviated tail<br />PCIII USB<br />DP Termignoni slipons, open airbox, &amp; ECU<br />CRG mirrors<br />C-Cat Frame Sliders<br />All c/f clearcoated<br />Silver leaf &quot;Ducati&quot; emblem<br /><br />2007 Ducati 1098 S Tricolore<br />2006 Yamaha TTR-230<br />2006 Yamaha Bruin 350
tempdragon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
arkons

does leaving the car and jumpers connected to the motorcycle actually charge a battery over time, like a trickle charger? or is it best to start the motorycle and just run it ( or ride it) a while?
ty
Old 02-01-2005, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkons
does leaving the car and jumpers connected to the motorcycle actually charge a battery over time, like a trickle charger? or is it best to start the motorycle and just run it ( or ride it) a while?
ty
unless you have a really old car the charging rate is way to high for your bike battery. start the bike and run it.
22080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grendel

If you find the battery isn't the problem, you may also want to check the relay under the seat while you're checking the fuses.

It's the yellow "box" (yours may be a different color) near the fuse box. Remove it, give it a couple of healthy taps on something and replace it. If the bike fires upafter that you'll need a new one, which you should be able to get from any dealer.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Old 02-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkons
Unfortunately I had to move and had my ducati sitting out on my sisters porch for quite sometime. Last night I went to run it and the lights came on and I pressed the start button, nothing but a little click at the rear of the motorcycle, no crank noise or anything. What is going on??? The battery isn't dead. Also my gauges are completely fogged!
Please help, thanks

Also its a 2002 monster 620.
It's your battery, charge it with a trickle charger for at least 24 hours and you should be ok.
Dave R<br />Ducati Seattle<br />The Ducati Experience Starts Here<br />www.ducatiseattle.com<br />1.877.298.9995 Toll Free<br />parts@ducatiseattle.com<br />Store Hours: Tues-Fri 10-7<br />Saturday 10-6<br />Sun, Mon off riding
DucSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
arkons

last night tried to jump it off my car, didnt do anything. when I press the start button absolutely nothing happens. The seat isnt completely on at the front, could this be a problem? does it have to be secure? you mentioned a relay under it... Oh gawd this is bad anyone in the houston area think they can come by and help me out??
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement