Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Duc scene in Okinawa?

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  55spy 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I've owned my Duc for less than a year but I found out this week that I'm being relocated to Okinawa Japan for three years and wanted to find out if I should be looking to sell my bike in the states before I come or at least store it in the states. I've never lived over seas and really don't have any clue as to insurance, gas, parts, dealers, mechanics especially for a Ducati.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide.

#3 ·
msincredible said:
Try sending a PM to slowpoke.

I'd recommend storing or selling your bike, I doubt it would be worth the expense and hassle trying to ship it over.
Good luck!
If you're getting stationed, the military will move your vehicle. Not usually too bad from what I hear. I've been here in Yokosuka since July. Been to Ducati Yokohama. I'm not sure if there's a dealer or shop in Okinawa though.

I'm assuming you're Military, no? If you are and going to Okinawa, you're in for some serious stuff. Yor sponsor told you bout the lockdown?

#4 ·
#6 ·
I've been living in Okinawa for 16 years and bikes are fine. You will have problems with the bike unless it is a Canadian Spec. model. (Not sure what that entails). There aren't many Ducs here but the riding is ok and there are alot of bikes. The title is the only issue; gas is cheap, insurance is cheap and I don't think maintenance is any worse than the states. Parts are more, I just did an overhaul on my 2003 S4 and it would have been better stateside but nothing major. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

#7 ·
okimonster said:
I've been living in Okinawa for 16 years and bikes are fine. You will have problems with the bike unless it is a Canadian Spec. model. (Not sure what that entails). There aren't many Ducs here but the riding is ok and there are alot of bikes. The title is the only issue; gas is cheap, insurance is cheap and I don't think maintenance is any worse than the states. Parts are more, I just did an overhaul on my 2003 S4 and it would have been better stateside but nothing major. Let me know if I can answer any questions.
Finally some optimism. I appreciate the offer. Here is what I know so far:

- I need to get the title from my lender before I go.

- I will need to get a brake certificate from the dealership before I go.

- I will need to ship the bike to the main land for $3000 since there is, apparently, only one inspection site on the main land.

- Once it has passed inspection, it will be shipped back so that I can register it and insure it.

- There is an authorized Ducati dealership in Naha.

Here is what I don't know:

- Who am I exactly shipping my bike with (company name)? Is there only one? Do they only accept cash (yen)?

- Since the bike is not insured, what if something happens to it while it is at the main land? Who will take the bike to the inspection site and bring it back to the boat? Who will pay for the bike if it does break or is lost?

- Can any one lay out the steps completely?

So far I haven't gotten solid information and I can't even get JSVRO to contact me back. Most say sell it and don't bring it but it seems their motives are for the wrong reasons. The MSRP on my 2008 is less than what I owe so if I did sell it I would lose money and have no bike at the same time. Thus selling it is not an option.

I appreciate more than you could know for any help you can give me. [thumbsup]

Thanks!

#8 ·
I am on oki for 3 years and I decided to leave my bike in Cali.

So are you military? The fees to get the bike here, the DOD motorcycle authorization was also an issue as I had lost my safety course card a few years ago and had to retake the class. There are limits on the displacement authorization that you can ride if you are DOD employed based on the time you have been riding, which actually means time since you have taken the safety course. And you will have to take the course on a bike with essentially the same displacement., the cost of shipping it to and from the mainland for certification, knowing I was not going to have a garage and not wanting the S4R to rust/oxidize. just not worth it to me. the money lost in storing or selling is not offset by the 4-5 grand to get the bike legal to ride here.

I don't want to be a downer or negative but I do want to be a realist.

Store it, buy a bike here, you could find a Duc or get something else. Bikes are pretty cheap here.

GGOK dot com is a pretty unbiased group of riders out here and theres at least one duc rider that frequents it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.