»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-11-2003, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default False Neutrals

I got quite the pucker factor going last Sunday morn on the weekly canyon carving run. My '03 1000sie found itself a new free wheeling neutral at speed while downshifting from 5th to 4th. This happened twice within about ten shifts. Bike has only 1475 miles and has been treated well. Is this something I should learn to expect or inherent in these trannies? Anyone else had this happen?
Sil lows, ceramic coated headers,custom mapped PC111, cut airbox/K&amp;N,Custom plug wires,Nichols flywheel, Evo slave, open clutch w/billet p-plate &amp; 1/2CF cover, 14t cs,<br />Ohlins PRCS, Ohlins steering damp, Scotts billet filter can &amp; SS oilfilter,&nbsp;Cycle Cat clip ons, top clamp, rearset &amp; kickstand. CRG levers &amp; LS mirrors, R fender elim,&nbsp; Sargant seat, misc CF and billet eye candy.<br /><br />O4 Honda CRF450 for moto<br />03 KTM 570EXC for dual sport, dez, enduro, gran prixs<br />69 Triumph T100C<br />69 BSA 441 Victor<br />69 Honda CB 160<br />2 Honda Fat Cats<br />Honda XR80 pit bike<br />05 YZ 125 for junio
scmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: False Neutrals

False neutrals are usually encountered on upshifts, from my experience and what others here say.

General consensus is that a firm foot is necessary.
Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
Speeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I've mentioned this in other posts, but it's worth repeating.

Some Monsters get more false neutrals than others. Mine had its first with about 20 miles on the odometer, on the way home from the dealer while trying to pass a truck on a 2-lane road. It has had hundreds since then. The most likely are 4-5 shifts, followed by 5-6, 3-4, and very rarely 2-3. They are always due to lazy shifting on the part of my left foot, and for some reason are more likely when I'm concentrating on something else, like passing someone. (This happens occasionally with my H_onda S2000 for some weird reason as well :-[).

I've never had a problem with it when shifting to a lower gear.

I reduced the tendency to miss shifts on my bike by lowering the shift lever about half an inch using the adjuster on the shift rod that connects it to the transmission.
ScottRNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've had a few false neutrals and have attributed all to myself...

lowering the shifter is a great idea, it'll put the shifter in a more comfortable zone of the foot's range of motion. I'll try that.

I'd also considered reversing the shifter (a la GP shiftere) to upshift with a downward motion.. but it hasn't bothered me enough to want to make a big change like that.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Herb

Alex, everone knows that you just don't want to have to learn a new trick! I hear you can't type and chew gum without biting your tounge! ;D

I've have more than a few mis-shifts owith my 03 1000, all my fault, but I'm a Putz, what would you expect!?
Old 11-12-2003, 06:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Most "false neutrals" are directly attributable to short stroking the shifter. Proper adjustment will help. I've also noticed that the oil in the engine/tranny has some affect. Your tranny will like a really good full synthetic oil and you're shifting will improve in the process.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeD5172

Quote:
Most "false neutrals" are directly attributable to short stroking the shifter. Proper adjustment will help. I've also noticed that the oil in the engine/tranny has some affect. Your tranny will like a really good full synthetic oil and you're shifting will improve in the process.
I've only had one false neutral and that was downshifting from 4th to 3rd. I attributed it to shortstroking the shifter. Since then I've used a more positive force while shifting and haven't had any more false neutrals.

I bought my Mostro used and hadn't a clue as to what kind of oil was in it so when I did my first oil change (not long after I bought the bike) I put Mobil 1 20w50 in it and the tranny does seem smoother.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
S-28

Unless your tranny is hosed the false neutral is on account of sloppy shifting.

Learn to hold the foot lever at full travel,up or down,while releasing the clutch.

At such low miles odds are that the lube in the mix box are dino based.

after 2,000 miles or so a switch to full synthetic will result in smoother and more reliable shifting and fewer issues with the false neutrals.
You will actually feel the difference,but maintain the full movement before releasing the clutch as a basic rule.

Good luck to you!
S-28
Old 07-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Full Synthetic - the answer to your "problem"
My bike shifts like a hot knife in butter after the switch!!
Just saying...
DavidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement