»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 01-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Adamizzer01

Default Muscle fatigue?

I went for my first long ride on the Monster today. I took US 1 south from Monterey down past Big Sur and back. It was an absolutely beautiful day and the scenery/ twisties were outstanding. The only problem is that my hands feel really wierd now that the ride is over. I can't seem to grip much, and can hardly hold my cigarette to smoke it? Is this normal for a two hour ride. (considering that I just started riding) It feels like I've lost some strength in my throttle hand. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Muscle fatigue?

Give up smoking? ;D
Old 01-29-2005, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lll0228 Send a message via Yahoo to lll0228

It's pretty normal if it's the first time you do it.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
SacDuc

Adam,

I haven't been riding long myself and I had a similar problem on my first few long rides. Hands would cramp and/or feel weak and numb afterwards. I realized I was supporting much too much of my weight on my bars (clip-ons actually) and that I had a bit of a death grip. I just began making an effort to remember to support my weight with my abs and back, and to relax my shoulders. I still get a bit of a death grip when in the twisties for a while, but I use the small straights to flex my hands and ease my grip.

This seems to work. I did 150 miles today (a few errands then Sac to Napa and back) and I feel friggin' great!
Old 01-29-2005, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Probably just not used to it. When I first got back in to things, my hands literally ached. It
Yes, I love my Duc. Sure, there’s a few things you have to put up with. Frequent maintenance intervals, quirky engineering, a perceived “snob factor”. But the sound, the feel, the mystique makes it all worth it. It’s kind of like owning a Harley without the homoerotic implications.
rottentemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

No worries Adam. We just need to do some riding and you'll feel fine. When I first started riding it literally felt like a work out when I was done. It's all in how you support yourself. The more you ride, the better your motorcycle posture will get. Give me a day this week to meet for coffee. Any day after 4:30PM.
dreamse83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Start working out and riding will feel like sex.
Enlightened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
DucGasm

I had a constant ache in my hands and arms the first couple weeks on owning a monster. After taht phase I found I would get numbness in my hands on long trips or in the twisties. Now, no such problems. I eventually learned to support my wieght with my legs and stomach, grip the tag with my legs for support, and only use hands for control. It really works out well. Occasionally if I notice hands/arms are hurting, I adjust riding position. It can usually be atributed to poor technique or posture. Just keep riding and try to find what is most comfotable
Old 01-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

It's totally about body position.
spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
AZMastiff

Stop being a p*ssy and just ride the d*mn thing!

You got it and now you're whining.?! "Oh..my hand's hurt!! I won't be able to masterbate tonight." Wah wah wah!! Deal with it!!

It takes real man to ride a Monster. If it was easy, all the squids would be doing it too!

Just giving you a hard time wuss.

I posted almost 2 years ago on a similar thread. It does take some conditioning but you'll get used to it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement