Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Rare Ducati Performance 2-1-2 full stainless exhaust with oval carbon fiber cans

4K views 31 replies 4 participants last post by  rcmcfly 
#1 ·
Expensive lesson learned.

I impulsively bought this system without doing my research. It can not be used with aftermarket rearsets *if you run with passenger pegs*. Half inch spacers allow for the use of rearsets, but passenger pegs will not clear. Stock/OE rearsets work fine and the system includes the appropriate spacers for this. Quite frankly, I also don't care for the look.. Just not my style.

Auction photos of the ACTUAL system I purchased:

Link to an identical system currently for sale on eBay for nearly 2 grand!

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/150981997073

It's been installed, run, sounds incredible. Will carefully repackage in the original Ducati Performance box and heat shrink the still in brand new condition carbon cans. Every piece of hardware is included, not a thing is missing. All spacers, brackets, nuts, screws, even the (horrible) instructions and original box. Everything.

Has a little bit of dried exhaust sealer on the joints from being installed, it's otherwise new. Buy with confidence, I've been on the Ducati forums for ten years, am a real person on Facebook, have a name and address, and have never done anything but give other Duc lovers awesome deals on parts in order to get them out of my life fast and move on. I hate sitting on stuff for months trying to get top dollar. I just want it gone. $650 shipped.

Thank you :)

See less See more
#3 ·
That reminds me; due to the sprung joints, these also fit M600's, 750's, 620's, basically any air cooled 2 valve Monster with a dual sided swingarm. That is according to both the instructions which list the 600 and 750 as well as my own experience with interchanging exhaust components /headers between the 750 and 900. It was specifically engineered from a performance standpoint for the carby M900.

If this doesn't sell fast to a no BS buyer (non tire kicking, noob question having time waster) I'm keeping it and getting out the cutters and torches so I can morph it into something I like better. Perhaps shorten the cans 4" and powder coat the straps and end caps black.

From a performance perspective its insane. The bike runs and sounds so much better than before with the Roadracing system. I really wanna ride it but I don't have a shift pedal for the gross OEM rearsets I had to bolt on.

#6 ·
Hey, sorry for the late reply. It'll fit the exhaust ports, my only concern would be the clearance where the midpipe passes through under the frame section where the suspension components are. If you're serious about buying this, we can get our our rulers and tape measures and figure it out.

I can pretty much guarantee you won't be able to use your pillion/passenger pegs tho.

#8 ·
I haven't gotten enough interest in it, so I've already begun the process of chopping 4" off the cans. The rivets are already out and the exhaust is def "molested" at this point. I'll probably end up keeping it, because it won't be worth the bath I'll take on selling it now that it's modified. If I'm still not thrilled at that point, we can talk, that is if you're still interested in it. I'm having a pro do the work for what it's worth. We'll see how it shakes out.

I just wish I could undo the whole purchase and just bought the MIVV's plus ceramikoted stock headers.

#9 ·
Found these on fleabay. I think they're going to be perfect for adapting the Style and Performance rearsets for use with this high mount exhaust.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/151471160105

I'm determined to make this work... I just can't stand wasting any more cash.

Those spacers are gonna be key, and I think they'll look the part.

Take this set of S&P rearsets for example:

Bshinn this may be of particular interest to you, I know you've expressed the desire to use your Rizomas with a high mount exhaust.

#10 · (Edited)
Don't have Rizoma's for that very reason. I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on them and trying to adapt. Those S&P's look identical to my Ducabike's, what's the fit issue. I'm running them with my high-mount Ferracci's with no spacers. All I had to do was relocate the master cylinder.

Never mind, just re-read the OP, and the passenger pegs are the issue. Brain fade is hell!

#11 ·
I don't know if there will be a fit issue, I'm just planning ahead. They are very similar to the Ducabike with the addition of the passenger pegs / exhaust mount. The S&P are the original Monster rearset, they manufactured the DP brand back in the day. I think Ducabike basically copied the design.

I just want to run nice rearsets with this exhaust. Being disappointed in the look is bad enough without having to downgrade to stock chicken wings to boot.

#12 ·
I can't understand the fit issue with high mounts and the Rizoma rearsets. From what I can tell, the exhaust hangers or passenger pegs act as spacers (I'm guessing about 10-13mm thick) for the rider pegs. I'm running mine with no spacers (none were included) and the pegs IMHO are too far inboard and need to be spaced out 13mm or so. Not willing to do that as they are pretty flexy not being supported from below. I'm pretty sure I can snake the passenger pegs behind the exhaust and make it work.

I think I'm going to spring for the rearsets, and if I can make the exhaust hangers fit, I'll spring for the passenger pegs.

Current setup:

I really like the setup you bought, not a fan of the stock collector at all, if we can get this sorted, I'll grab one and sort the exhaust spigot issue myself.

#13 ·
They do act as spacers - it's the exhaust hanger/passenger peg itself that won't clear the high mount.

I'm hoping the S&P setup works better because not only are the pillion pegs parallel to the rearsets, they have more offset then the Rizoma. They really are basically like much nicer, adjustable versions of the OE pegs, it's no surprise they were a Ducati Performance product at one time.

But man... Those Rizomas I just sold surrrrre were pretty.

#18 ·
Bringing this damn zombie exhaust thread back to life.

Here's the situation. I bit the bullet and agreed to have Randy Martin/Strada Fab build me a full custom 2-1 exhaust. He is also going to take a few inches off these DP cans and give the chrome end caps a brushed finish.

At this point I really just want to cut my losses on this exhaust. I know I've been doing nothing but bagging on it, but it's not a bad exhaust just a bad idea and not the right look for my bike.

BShinn, if you're still interested in this it's almost an ideal scenario for you, who better than Randy to sort out that vertical exhaust spigot or even weld up a custom one that will for sure clear the shock components.

Now that I'm fully committed to a custom exhaust I'm pretty damn motivated to sell. I don't like hoarding parts anymore, I had an almost hoarderish problem with that up until a couple years ago and won't go down that path again.

#22 ·
Re

Shite man, I'd have asked you first and given ya the first shot at em, but you'd indicated you were holding off because of your high mounts and what Jeff had told ya.

On a related note, my S&P are FINALLY slated to arrive today... With the Euro in such a slump it's a fantastic time to buy... I was actually able to get those brand new and come out ahead with what I fetched for the Rizomas. The Rizoma were unquestionably beautiful and functional, but I get bored and like to change things (spend more money on bike parts) like most of us. Plus I've always been drawn to the big beefy look of those billet Ducati Performance rearsets (identical to the S&P/made by S&P). If you're interested I'll email you detailed pics. I originally got my craving for em from M900.blogspot.com

#23 ·
No worries Bro! Cash has been siphoned off in different directions lately so I wasn't ready to pull the trigger until now. Ordered them from Jeff @ Monsterparts today. I'm sure the rider pegs will mount fine and if I can snake the muffler brackets behind the pipes, I'll order the rider pegs. If not I'll just fab a spacer to replace the muffler brackets and move on. The Ducabike rearsets are a bit high so having the adjustable pegs will be worth the expense even if I can't get the passenger pegs mounted.

I'll post an update in my thread when they arrive.

#24 ·
Just be sure to temper your expectations... The Rizomas, even in their lowest and forward most position are very high and very far back. It's def a sporty position but with clip ons I thought it was perrrrrrfect. I'm 5'10.5" if that helps.

I test fitted the S&P. The eccentric bolt that is responsible for the adjusting seems to have a fair amount less adjustability than my Rizomas but I think they'll be fine, and they go lower which is nice. Plus they look AWESOME, at least imo. Randy my machinist doesn't like the machine/tooling marks but I dig em. I guess that stuff is personal preference. I also like the gunmetal gray of the hard anodizing, but it's very industrial looking and has zero gloss, so it clashes somewhat with my color theme. It makes me wanna tear down my bike and powder coat the frame black, then hard anodize the forks in the same color. Or maybe do the frame a matching dark silver/gray. Or maybe just leave the damn thing alone and ride it... Lol.

Attachments

#25 ·
Those S&P's appear to be identical to the Ducabike's with the exception of the finish and passenger peg option. I will be happy if I can move them 1/4" forward and lower. Even if I can't, they're supported top and bottom and they won't flex under my fat ass like the current ones.

#26 ·
This is one area that I took for granted on my RZ and already miss. The S&P only attach to the frame, and even at 5'11" and 165 I still feel the flex. With the possible exception of the pretty much impossible to find and impossible to order Cycle Cats, Rizoma truly is the creme de la creme. Gorgeous as well... Looking over all the glamour shots of my M944 they were almost perfect in the way their design flowed with everything else, they were almost invisible in a way, which is what you want... No component jumping out, seeing the motorcycle as a whole. The S&P most certainly stand out but not necessarily in a bad way. It's actually whats always drawn me to them; big, beefy, bold hunks of machined billet aluminum. I actually feel like I need to redesign my entire bike now because of em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.