integrated tail light in Oz - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default integrated tail light in Oz

Hey,
Can anyone offer any advice regarding the use of integrated tail light in Oz (or even NSW)? I love the look but not sure how well the indicator works AND if anyone has been booked by the cops.

I have ordered the comp werkes chop kit, and was tossing between clear alt. or motodynamics (see link) for the light (the vizi-tech is too pricey for me).

Insights appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Its illegal

Even the multi-flash stop light is illegal here.
Have that exact light though, and its brilliant, didn't connect up the indicators though, but think the flashing stop is a brilliant idea, and its super bright!
Haven't been stopped for it yet. Hoping can just blame Italian electrics if I do
Old 12-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm no expert but I was told NSW rules state indicators need to be 40cm apart making the very clean integrated units illegal. But please do proper research & don't rely on fools like me.
garth_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

All the road rules for all states say a certain distance apart for the indicators, and they change every year when the cops get new bikes, funny how that works.

At the end of the day look at a GSXR etc with the indicators in the tail piece, no way are they even 20cm apart. You can use that in defence if they get you for the indicators not being far enough apart, but nothing will save you from them being integrated if you get stopped.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to KarlieMay

Did anyone ever come up with a definite answer to this question? I am looking at putting an integrated tail light in my s4 but am not sure on the legal ramifications
KarlieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

They'll can you for the integrated tail light. I put rizomas with spacers on the front and without spacers on the rear and got it through the roadworthy last Friday. Looks ok too.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1356036755.978580.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	105094

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

They are not road legal here, its that simple. RW rules states that indicators must be a certain distance apart. Though that number keeps decreasing with each year to come in line with new models (and unmarked cop bikes), they won't reach a 0mm distance.

FYI, if you d/l the requirements off the web they never contain the amendments, you often have to ring a bike shop about that. Like the document saying the rear indicators must be 30cm apart only applies to bikes before 1994, its been revised 3-4 times, so check what lines up with the year of your bike, as most cops when they try and get you for it are using outdated info.

There is nothing to say though the flashing brake light is illegal, I've had it on my monster for years without issue and seen a few new BMWs with it. I just never connected up the harness to integrate the blinkers that came with the motodynamics light.

Last edited by s4rsteve; 12-20-2012 at 03:55 PM.
s4rsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks for the clarification. I am still going to get the tail light but I might get some shorty led indicators as well and just hook them up instead of the integrated bit, should look ok and still be legal
Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

I run FAR Viper LED indicators on mine, not quite shorties but not huge either, they are close enough to RW length that I've never got hassled (knock on wood) and they are at least E marked. Used to have tiny ones but kept getting worried they'd attract the fuzz...

Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

could you tell me what thread size that is. I am finding mixed answers as to whether the S4 is a 10mm or 8mm thread... even the owners manual I have declines to tell me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement