Monster Insurance in Australia - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 12-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

My s2r1000 and m400s both insured through QBE. Both fully comp, $270 for the 400 and $360 for the s2rk.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

What value have you got it insured for?

I've got my S4 insured for $10K with Shannons and no excess. premium is around $320 from memory.
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Are these ANNUAL numbers you guys are quoting? Fack, insurance is cheap in australia.
malamikigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yes, annual premium.

Insurance rates and coverage is very different to what you guys in the states get for your $ though.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Fair enough. I'm in Canada, so it's pretty different here vs. the states also. Especially with the province I am in, it's even very different from the rest of Canada.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamikigo View Post
Are these ANNUAL numbers you guys are quoting? Fack, insurance is cheap in australia.
I'm paying right at $300 for year round full coverage with State Farm
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

I pay about 1600 a year for "full" coverage on my 09 696 here in Vancouver.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Holy crapola you pay a shedload for your insurance. are you under 21 or something?

Here in oz, generally speaking 18-25 is huge $$$$. 25-34 is big $$$ and 35+ is slightly lower $$$

then there are things like 'no claim bonus' and 'rating' which are directly related to any vehicular accidents you have. at the end of the day it all impacts the cost of the premium paid, and one thing is for sure, it is a necessary evil when you own a bike.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm not under 21. I'm not even under 31. I've had my bike license for 8 years, full driver's license for 16. I have no accident claims and have a full discount on my rate (which would equate to your no claim bonus and rating).

Are there other things you have to pay on top of insurance to have your bike on the road in Australia? I've heard of things like warrants and such, which we don't really have in bc, canada. Here the insurance is expensive, yes, but that's all there is to it. You register a plate to the bike, which costs 18 bucks, and then buy your insurance coverage (ie, the $1600/yr i quoted), and you're done....go ride.

The 1600/year I pay is for full insurance coverage, as well. ie, $2million in liability coverage (for your person and anyone else you may injure), full comprehensive coverage (vandalism, theft, damage from road debris, etc), and collision coverage (for the bike itself). The only mandatory coverage is the liability. You can opt out of collision and comprehensive and knock about $500 off of that, but you're basically fixing any damage to the bike out of your pocket in that situation, and you're hooped on it if it gets stolen or if you write it off in an at-fault crash.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

same sort of coverage for damages and at-fault.

our registration costs are separate. depending on the state, there is a registration fee, traffic improvement fee, and 'compulsory third party' insurance, aka greenslip which is payable annualy, (also in some states an annual inspection prior to re-registering)

all that can cost a fair bit for a bike - up to $500 depending on the state. some states charge annual fees for customised plates, other states don't. there are loads of variations regarding vehicle registrations, but the bottom line is less than $500 for a 2 seat motorcycle or outfit. (sidecar)

single seat registration is cheaper - but only for the CTP component. all the govt taxes (rego traffic imp, plate fees etc) stay the same for single seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement