Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

*** Please introduce yourself ***

4M views 86K replies 2K participants last post by  rebesson 
#1 ·
I was noticing that we are up to 189 members as of a few minutes ago and that a large percentage of you have never made a post. I sometimes get tired of reading from the same ten blabbermouths all the time (and I know I'm one of them ;) ).

How about introducing yourselves and maybe letting us know what you would like to gain from reading the DML Monster Boards?

I would suggest the following information:

1. Name (optional)
2. Type of Monster you own (or want to own)
3. Where you live
4. What you hope to gain from reading this board
5. Anything else you have to say

Okay, me first:
If you haven't figured it out already, I'm Scott Nelson. I own a red 1997 M900 that I've owned since new (September of 1997) and is still my favorite bike of all time. I live in Pleasanton, California, in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm always trying to learn more about my bike and hope to share my knowledge with others when I can.

I look forward to learning who the rest of you are.

========== Edit ==========
[The moderator likes this idea and has stuck it permanently at the top, so if you haven't "signed in" yet, please post a note on this thread. We should eventually have about 200 posts here. Hopefully all new posters, no discussions.]
========== Edit 2 ==========
Please don't reply to any posts in this group. If you want to welcome someone or discuss anything, please send them a PM instead.
========== Edit 3 ==========
The Monster was wrecked on October 4 of 2003. It was replaced with an ST2, complete with hard bags. In September of 2004 an 888 SPO was added to the garage. There might be another Monster someday.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: If you have zero posts, please introduce yours

;D Ok, I guess I am one of the people you are talking about. I found this board a few months ago and I just registered. I am Ted Reese, I own a yellow 1999 750 Monster, and I live in Sherwood, OR, just outside of Portland Oregon.

I do most of my riding alone on the back roads and for commuting to work during the summer months. Unfortunately it rains too much around here through the winter for me to ride year round. :-/

#3 ·

Hi
I'm Dave Comeau. 52 YO. I live north of Boston Mass. I'm mainly a gearhead and not much of a iron butt rider. Even though I did attend penguin school at NHIS, most of my track experience is as mechanic/crewchief for others vintage racing efforts.
At 19 years old, my first bike was a norton commando. I now have several nortons (commando and atlas) and BSA's(A-10) and 3 Duc (MS4 and 2-907ie). ;D The only triumph (T100R) I have will be sold once it's together and running.
I own and run a hydraulic brake dyno (100hp max) for doing my own research projects.
These days I'm researching the ECU's and the software on the eproms in addition to stuffing the 916 into one of my 907ie.

my website with mostly british stuff
http://www.gis.net/~dynodave

#4 ·

Maybe this would be a good idea for everybody. Although I've made a few posts, my name is Larry Cadwell. I'm 45, live in the Denver area, and have been riding since 1979. I got by fine on Jap beaters for years until I saw an ad for the 2000 900 Monster Dark. I obsessed about it for a month, went to look at them, and rode one home. My first new vehicle ever. It is still my obsession, and after almost 3 years love it more than ever. I ride year round (unless there's snow on the ground), and whenever people ask if I'm cold, I reply, "No, it just takes longer to get dressed".

#5 ·

Hi, I'm Jeffrey and I'm a bike-o-holic... Actually I go by Fillmore as to not get confused with the other Jeffs.

I have a highly modified `00 M750D and a mostly stock `93 888 SPO. Sharing the garage are my `72 BMW R75/5, 3 KTM dirt bikes, and a `68 Norton Commando that I swear I'll put back together sometime this year (Hi dynodave). Also in there are my girlfriend Laura's (whom I met through the DML on our way to DRA 2001) `00 M900S, `75 R60/6, and KX100.

I'm from Las Vegas, NV and am currently living in Santa Fe, NM due to my job.

I used to be one of those blabbermouths that Scott referred to, but I'm pretty busy with work and other stuff these days.

--Fillmore

#6 ·

my name is Jason, I bought a 00 M900 dark in 2001 when I was living in Tucson, AZ. It is all stock due to the fact that i'm too broke to afford any modifications. I'm living in champaign IL right now (sucks). I'm trying to get a job back in AZ so hopefully I'll be back to cruisin in the desert soon

#7 ·

Hi, My name is Jeff H. (sometimes people call me 'Higgie' too to keep me separate from all the other Jeffs)
Im in Fresno, Ca.
I started a local club of people I met on the DML called the Central California Monster Hooligan Association (i made it up spur of the moment, and the name just stuck)
I also started running the DML awhile back when the opportunity came up.
Oh, and I dont have a Monster.
This is a great source of amusement for all my Monster riding buddies.

Bikes:
93 Ducati 900SS (mine)
97 Ducati M750 (wife's...and it's bad-ass)
2-Suzuki DR650's

#8 ·

My name is Mic and I'm pretty much new to the monster. I've had mine for about a year and LOVE IT. I'm in the Air Force and currently stationed in Hawaii...I just got married and have daily debates with my inner self over spending money on the Ducati or on my new wife....

#9 ·

Hi - I'm Michael Moore (Michael not Mike unless you're some dude trying to sell me something.) I live in Mill Valley CA, a little burg just north of San Francisco and a bad place for speed traps as discussed elsewhere. However once outside the town some of the best motorcycling on the planet is just up the road in west Marin county.

I bought my Y2K M900 secondhand from a young guy who, I think, just couldn't face the cost of the 6K service. I probably paid too much for it, but once having ridden it I just had to have it. I think you know how that goes. Prior to this bike I had a BMW R90/6 for about a million years but riding had dropped way off after about '94 so I sold it in '96. Getting on the monster was, needless to say, a huge change.

All my friends think I'm nuts as I'm 49 and still roaring around on a bike. Yeah, I have a wife and kid, but that doesn't mean I'm dead yet! Actually my wife is great about the whole obsession, so what more could I ask for?

As for the board, I'm just looking for tech tips, info on local rides, and anything that will make the bike or my riding better. I also help Higgie out from time to time with the HTML stuff as needed.
-Michael

#10 ·

Hey all!

My name is Randy. I own a red '01 S4 that I picked up new in August of '02. This is my first bike (I took an MSF course prior to thinking about getting a bike) and I love it!!!!!!

I currently live in Las Vegas, NV.

Looking for tips on mods, rides, activities, etc.

That's it for now - R

#11 ·

My name is Daffe (I also go by Ted). I first owned 3 Suzuk!s: sport-tourer, cruiser and a G!xxer... ended up trashing the last bike's engine from a weather-abused chain and was looking at other bikes before settling on a 2000 750 Monster Dark. The monster is much more forgiving on the body (as I'm in health care, I thought, "why not have a more comfortable and enjoyable ride rather than limiting myself to 1 - 2 hrs followed by medial-epicondylitis?")

I live in Los Gatos, California (the southern-most town of Silicon Valley just before you hit the Santa Cruz mountains), which is very near (5 min ride from) Highway 9 (which, inevitably, one may take to eventually reach the infamous Alice's Restaurant in Woodside, CA). I've done rides in Virginia (Colonial Parkway from Richmond to Williamsburg) as well as the various California routes in Monterey county and the Napa rides as well.

G
#12 ·
Tom, 51, Houston Texas, riding since mid-60's.

Currently own a '98 M900, 2 older Buells ('95 S2 and '96 S1), a '96 FLHR with 60,000+ miles (love that bagger...), a Honda XR600R super-motard, a '74 Commando and a '66 Bonneville.

Looking mostly for tech and service information, but if there are any riders in the Houston area, I'm always up for a ride!

r-t

G
#13 ·
hello.
my name is strati... and i love kellogg's frosted flakes. HA!
okay, it wasn't that funny but i'm running on about 4 hours of sleep a week (2 month old @ home)...

i've blabbed probably as much as anybody else on this list because work's really boring (no... REALLY boring) in the semiconductor industry, and well... we got a cable modem at home so i check the board pretty frequently.

i own what once was a 2001 monster s4. to be "reborn" by march 1st (personal deadline).

home is in burlington, ma.

as for my purposes on this board... well work's REAAAAAAAALLY boring and there's always some cool info to share & read here ;)

#14 ·
Hello all,
My name is Kenny. My wife, 8 mo old, my Monster and I live in Portland, Oregon. It is an '01 600, with only Road Racing mirrors and a rear CF hugger as added mods. I have to admit I am one of the guilty who monitor this board out of curiosity 8) This is my first Monster so I am just trying to glean off any helpful info I can off this board.
See ya

#15 ·
Seeing as others that have been on the board awhile have posted I'll also include a brief bio of myself.

Oh, this is one feature/thread I definitely think beats out the mailing list. The ability to go back and read about other members....

Anyways,

Been riding for 18 years. Raced in the Mid-eighties then started racing again 3 years ago. Currently own a 2002 Ducati Monster S4, a 1991 Yamaha TZ250, and just recently acquired a 2000.5 Aprilia Mille R.

My S4 has some minor mods, pipes, radiator shrouds, and CRG mirrors. I don't plan on doing much more than that as its my streetbike.

I raced the TZ250 last year and finished consistently in the top 3. The TZ is for sale. (Anyone interested in GP bike racing?)

I just bought the Aprilia Mille R to race this year. I already have a great sponsor, Mototek. Its still in street trim, but will be ready by the first race of the season in a couple of months.

I'm hoping to learn alot from long time Ducati owners and hopefully can share my years of riding and racing experience with others...

#16 ·
OK, my turn.

I'm the idiot who bought an M900 as my FIRST ever motorcycle. It's a '99 and I got it in October of '02 with just 2200 miles on it. It had the obligatory mods (Termis, tach, CF fender eliminator and jet kit). I've added a number more and we ain't nearly done yet!

So why start on an M900? I knew that I could convince my wife to let me get a bike once, but convincing her to let me upgrade would be a whole 'nuther thing.

I'm 41 and a gear head with a weakness for Italian machines. I drove and wrenched a Fiat and a pair of Alfa GTV6s for many years before buying a house without a garage (imagnine that, in New England even). So I sold the last Alfa, put my roll-away full of metric tools in the shop and started to get serious about the Monster that I had been enamoured with since seeing my first photo when they first came out.

I figured that with autocross and track experience in the car, many years of bicycle racing experience in NM and CO (road mostly, but some crit and TT) and the fact that I'm no longer 25, I just might survive long enough to learn to ride the Monster. I've taken two MSF courses and plan to get in my first track day this summer.

From the list; I want it all. Tech ideas, ride ideas, and comraderie. I also want to meet local Monster riders. I started trying to get some of us together last year using the list and hope the board will be an even better tool for that.

It was 5 below 0 this morning :-[

#17 ·
Hey. I'm Doc. I'll respond for myself and my wife. I've been riding for over 20 years and Redline has beenriding her own for 11 years. I ride a Superglide Sport and Redline has an Evo Superglide and a custom Evo Sporty.

I finally got my first Ducati this week. I only got to ride it once (in the snow) and had a blast. I've been looking at Ducatis since the '80s and at Monsters since they came out. My darlin' has never owned a FAST bike until now. Lately she has been flirting with Buells, V-Rods and even a V-Max. I decided that the Monster would scratch an itch for both of us.

I got a '99 M900 with a Keihin FCR conversion, K&N, modified air box and CF high pipe slip ons. It also has one of those funky factory custom tanks that Ducati offered for awhile. I am psyched!

I'm looking to learn anything I cam about the bike and to learn about another side of motorcycling.

We are in SC and ride a few times a week. I enjoy a long ride and look forward to getting together with others who want to play. See you in Daytona, Myrtle Beach, Laconia, Road Atlanta, Lake Lure, the Dragon or TWO.

Doc
FXDX
'99 M900
'71 Challenger Conv (daily Driver)

Redline
FXD
M900 to share
944 S2 Cabrio
88 XLH Badgirl

#18 ·
AllyCat
93)900s Monster,00 FXDX Harley-Davidson,89 883 Sportster...

Oakland,Italy,Sierras.... I move around alot...

I hope to meet more of this amazing bunch of riders! I have met a few, and they are great....

I have been riding a very long time, like it alot, spend way too much time studying to be a lawyer to have oodles of money to sustain my motorcycle addiction....

#19 ·
Hi!

My name is Micael Lidmalm, I'm 32 and I live in Gothenburg, Sweden.
It's pretty cold here right now, so unfortunately riding a Monster is out of the question... :(

I spent most of last August trying to buy a new Monster 900, but none were to be found. Popular bikes, these Monsters. Naturally I was a bit annoyed, but that all changed when I found out about the 2003 lineup.

My new black Monster 1000Sie was delivered on the 11th of January, and having to wait until March/April to be able to ride it is killing me!

Of course I spend quite a lot of time looking at it in the garage, and I send a lot of pictures of it to my friends:
"Hey, check out how nice it looks when it's on the paddock-stand!"
I guess some people have kids, and others...well... :)

The only modifications so far are the SilMotor exhausts, but more is to come!!

I mainly check in to the forum find technical advice, tips on mods etc.

Micael

#20 ·
Im John, I live in ST Paul Minnesota (yep I know Doug Lofgren) I own a 2002 M620 thats sole purpose is to be raced. I also own a 1990 851 Superbike, 2 Suz. GS500s, 1998 Laverda Ghost (also for racing) and a 1963 Honda CA77 Dream. Im a ASE Cert. Master Tech currently employed at a Honda dealership. As far as Mods to the Monster. Ive got an S4 shock on it as well as a 996 ride height adjuster. The forks are going to be redone with Racetech Gold valves and most likely the shock too.The plan is to have a 748 tail and Supermono bodywork. Pics will follow as soon as it pans out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.