Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Need suggestions on a good used truck

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  MonsterTodd 
#1 ·
It's time to ditch the A4. I love it, but it is a maintenance hog. It's a Hitler to my Mussolini (the Duc). So far its only been a beer hall putsch or two, but any day now it could invade Poland and I don't want to deal with that. So the Audi is history.

I've decided to replace it with a small to midsized truck, if only to have something I can transport my bike in. I am thinking a Dodge Dakota or Ram, but as reliability is a factor, also considering the Jap brands as well.

I'm going to be buying used, very used, probably a truck with 100K+ as my only conditions are that it runs and has AC. with that kind of mileage though I'm going to be looking for something that is easy to maintain.

So, just getting some info here, anyone have any experience with late 90's-early 00's Nissan Frontiers or Toyota Tacomas? how is to maintain those old Chevys and Dodges? After working on the Audi they can't be that complicated.

#27 ·
I currently own an '04 Silverado. Fantastic truck, no complaints whatsoever (other than the gas mileage). Awesome truck. Great looks. I love it!

I've also owned a 99 Nissan Frontier, and a 2002 Nissan Frontier. Both outstanding trucks. Awesome reliability. A bit low in the power department. My 99 had a chincy 3.3 V6 that was OK. The '02 had a supercharged 3.3 V6 that was better, but sucked so much gas it's not even funny. In terms of reliability, outstanding. I can't really speak from experience though, as I've never really owned any high mileage vehicles. I can tell you one thing though, I'm driving my Chevy until it falls apart.

Also, you absolutely CANNOT go wrong with a Taco. Never heard of any major (or minor) problems with the Taco's. Many of my buddies swear by Toyota trucks. My buddy Joe has a lifted 89 Yota pickup that has something north of 250,000 miles on it. No problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.