Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

2013 Monster 1100evo exhaust/ecu

8K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  ibrac54 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade the driveability at low rpm. Thinking of installing an aftermarket exhaust+ECU like a temi package. If you have one PM me. I can see what's available on ebay. I'm trying to keep the cost reasonable compared to the cost of the bike. Thanks!

#2 ·
A cheap way to fix the jerky-ness in the low RPM on a Monster with O2 sensor (like the M1100) is to get rid of them.
Look up on Ebay for "O2 sensor eliminator", they cost less than $40 from "smartmoto" in Greece.

If you want to learn more about O2 sensor and why your bike is a pain at constant throttle below 4000rpm, read this great report by Brad:
http://www.bikeboy.org/open_closed_loop_efi.html

#4 ·
I just installed one of these sets a couple weeks ago. Made all the difference in the world! I highly recommend it. Also, it only took TWO DAYS to ship DHL from Greece! Hard to beat.

Edit: I also installed a 14t sprocket, which helped quite a bit. Really, though, the O2 delete was revelatory.

-G

#6 ·
Installation is simple. You just pull both O2 sensors out of their bungs in the pipes and unplug the corresponding wire harnesses. Then plug in the new wiring harness pieces and screw in the sensor bung plugs. All done. I think it took about 30 minutes, including pulling the bike into the garage.

FWIW, I also installed the Duc.ee exhaust valve eliminator at the same time, and the 14t cog a couple days prior. The driveability of my bike is totally and completely changed for the better. Compared to stock form, it's freakin' magical.

-G

#9 ·
Er. . . I think your diagram must be for the reggly ol' 1100. Even then, it's hard to see how the O2 sensors could be under the tank. Isn't the engine/chassis configuration very similar to the EVO?
On my 2012 EVO, the O2 sensors were easily accessible. The one from the horizontal cylinder was right in front of the collector, the other was just under the seat. Definitely not under the tank. I wonder if one of us is talking about the wrong thing.

-G

#11 ·
So the ECU will not learn by itself if I don't disconnect the battery? There is no other way to refresh the ECU?
Thank you all for the wonderful advise! I will try the O2 sensor bypass first before going to a more expensive solution via exhaust/ecu. I still have to figure out how to get to the sensors but will do it with the bike infront of me once I receive the parts from Greece.

#13 ·
Will do. I noticed the parts in the diagram (lambda sensor?) so will do it when I get the parts. My friend is an ex mechanic and could help me. Looking forward to this. So, do I have to get to the battery and disconnect it after I do the O2 sensor?

#15 ·
Not really. You inserted the wire harness plug replacements that came with the kit, right? When you found the existing harness plugs initially, they should have been pressed onto a little clip on the frame, as I recall. There's a small loop on the plugs that is designed to fit right onto those clips. Once you've inserted your plug replacements, put your harness plugs back onto those clips.

Gosh, that may be confusing. Forgive me: I'm working on my first cup of coffee. If this makes no sense or you need clarification, I can get pics. Lemme know.

-G

#21 ·
It helped some. I have to say, I ended up selling it and getting an SF848 with a rexxer tune and remus exhaust. Was much smoother. Then, I came across a great deal on a 2012 1100evo with termi package and 20k miles. It was much smoother than my 1100evo anniversary with 700 miles. I don't know if it is the new ECU/Termi or the miles, but I sold the SF848 and got the Monster 1100evo which I still have. It is really nice. It is even better after the 22.5k miles major service. It is more comfortable then the SF848 (a bike which I loved but could not get comfortable with as well as in handling). Ultimately, a $400 Rexxer tune makes a big difference as well.

#25 ·
You mentioned your bike is bone stock. From the factory the bikes run very lean (for emissions) and have, in my opinion, too much exhaust restriction. My 796 was seriously herky-jerky at low RPM, it backfired through the airbox a LOT... the dreaded cough and die syndrome, usually at a stop light or in traffic. You HAD to launch it at 4000RPM... and keep it above 4000 to keep it from lugging.

I installed a set of Arrow slip-ons and the bike magically transformed. It starts easier, it rarely pops through the airbox, I can take it down to 3200RPM in traffic without problems, and the throttle response is far better. No other mods... I still run the factory airbox and filter unmodified, and OEM tune. It's sort of bizarre... you would think it would run even leaner with more airflow, but it doesn't seem to be.

Someone mentioned the 14T front sprocket... I would advise against that, although it's arguable. In fact, I even bought one... just never installed it after reading about the cons. I DID, when it was time for a new chain and sprocket set, went up on the rear sprocket, which helped immensely with in-town driveability... at the expense of top end speed. The good news is I can actually use 6th gear now.