Help diagnose please: Dead batter and leaking oil..? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Help diagnose please: Dead batter and leaking oil..?

Okay, so I can be a slightly neglectful owner. I do keep my bike stored indoors and heated during the winter. I also service the bike on the recommended schedule. Where I fall short is battery maintenance. Two things happen: 1) I don't trickle charge my battery during the winter and (2) I have accidentally left my key in it overnight

These two happened this year, so this will be the second battery I buy this year. I think I have learned my lesson and will be buying a charger and be more careful with my key.

When my battery dies to the point of no return I try to jump it with a car battery (the car isn't running). Success, but because the battery can't hold a charge my bike dies shortly after I disconnect the car battery. What is strange though, is that the past two times this has happened (once in March and once late July), my bike started to leak, and consequently burn, oil...

Why does my bike leak oil? Why would it only happen when I jumped my bike? Should a battery be toast after a single emptying..? Has anyone experienced this before?
treats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lead acid batteries don't like to be drained. In the old liquid acid ones, the lead plates can actually warp. they also build up a layer of lead sulphides. not sure about the absorbed glass mat versions. i use a LiFePO4 battery and they can sit for years without losing charge. but they're expensive and you cant jump start them. don't understand the oil leak. Where exactly is it from and do you have pics? I can't imagine it has anything to do with jump starting the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

It looks as though the oil is coming from the "oil cap" underneath the engine (see image). It then drips onto the pipe which alerts me that there is oil leaking (otherwise.. I don't know if I would notice :embarassed:

I would guess that there might be a bad seal... but why would it only show itself when I was trying to start it and the battery has been depleted? Is there any mechanical/electrical system that could be causing the leak due to a lack of power??

As of now, my battery is dead and the last time I jumped it, it started to leak oil. Since the last time I saw this symptom, I haven't been burning any oil. What should I do to test this and get my bike back in working order? Here is what I am thinking:
  1. Buy battery charger/trickle charger
  2. check if battery is dead by charging it with charger
    [**]Dead? New battery. Not dead? Charge battery.
  3. Did my bike leak during any of this:
    [**]yes. Open up cap and inspect for poor seal.
    [**]no. ride my bike and forget about weird leak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10001331.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	116794  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

The oil drain has a copper crush seal. It should be replaced each time you drain the oil. Some people will polish up an old crush seal with emery cloth and reuse, but as the seal costs 20cents, that seems like wasted effort. Often small leaks won't show up until you start the engine and develop some oil pressure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You are absolutely not the candidate for a Lithium LifePO4 battery. You leave the key "on" dead battery. Once drained to less than 6v, trash.

I'm wondering if you have too much oil in the engine. When you are trying to start it, the excess is being forced out somewhere. If it's the fill cap, the O-ring may have shrank a little during non use. Another 20 cent item. Replace it.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is probably something I should have known something about before I bought a bike Hey, there's a first time for everything.

Is there options for batteries? I was under the impression from the last couple times I bought batteries for my bike that the battery I needed was very specific.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You fail to mention what bike it's for. The picture you provided could be a random google shot. Some bikes need a specific gel type battery as it needs to lay flat under the tank while some are lead acid batteries and can be replaced with gel.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

AFAIK, I need an acid battery. I'm riding a '05 M620.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement