Were my Belts put on wrong?! - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Were my Belts put on wrong?!

Hey guys, I finally got around to get all my tools and changing the timing belts for the first time since I bought the bike (Christmas '11). I have only put about 700 miles on the thing since then but I decided to caution on the safe side since I have no idea what the previous guy did (dealership had no information).

I took my covers off, and I noticed 2 things:

1) Do those belts look like they are about to tear?

2) I looked at the alignment dots and back at the computer and then back at the dots...and they seem totally off to me.

Am I setting them up right?

Here are the photos of the belts and of the flywheel glass eye.

I appreciate your time in advance.

-Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130101_233304.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	105145   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130101_233916.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	105146  
SarasotaMatrix620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

So i took the horizontal belt off and then tried to release the belt tensioner on the vertical belt. Unfortunately, whoever tried releasing the belt tensioner on the vertical belt last time around stripped the 6mm bolt to the point that my wrench and 6mm allen just spin in circles.

Any ideas?

Also, I decided to put the belt back on and tighten the horizontal belt back to the 5mm key rule and now when I start the bike up, it idles at around 1,500 rpms with the choke all the way on. When I take the choke off...the bike dies out. The bike is also low on fuel.

Any ideas?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just put some more gas in. It did not help

I used the choke adjuster trick to get the bike running and then turning it off and then back on again at a stop just to get the gas.

Something definitely went array after lifting the tank up.

Help?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I pulled both spark plugs and both are very dark with black soot around the threads.

I took off the horizontal belt (and I ended up cutting off the vertical belt) and I notice that the roller where both timing belts connect will not move. The one on the right will move to line up properly but the one on the left will not move....any ideas?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The bearings can seize up on the rollers, and need to be replaced. My experience is that fixing stuff that hasn't been scrwed up by someone else isn't usually too hard, but if it's been mucked with I like to have a pro who really knows what it's supposed to look like get it straightened out right.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (221,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Use this link for proper belt change http://www.ducatisuite.com/beltchange.html

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
nextfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Here's a really good video on the process-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzPZ84ZRjU
i would use the harmonic method on the older bikes as well as it is more accurate than the 5mm method (use that too to get close)
you can download ianalyzer lite free for your smart phone and use that to tune the belt tension

i'm with phil and would take it in to a pro if you arent sure. belt wrong = broken motor
MonsterHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement