DIY tire changing- advice? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default DIY tire changing- advice?

Ok, so I think it is time I invested in a manual tire changing device. I can remove and install the front tire and remove the rear with levers, but I have a lot of trouble installing the rear. Since I want to remove the risk of marring the rims, as well as speed up the process, I've been looking up some manual tire change mechanisms.

I ve see some like the Cycle hill changer
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/cycle-hill-motorcycle-tire-changer/
As well as some lower cost ones on the web.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
07 695 sold
07 CBR1000RR
llamadingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Wow now I want one.

But seriously, my local charges me $30 to dismount 2 tires, mount 2 tires, and balance it all.

That's over a dozen set of tires done by someone else for less money than that device. I'll stick to letting someone else knock em out for me.

If I was wearing out tires every other weekend at the track, then yeah I would certainly buy that set up. But then again, hopefully I would have made friends with the tire guy by then and he either mounts for free cause I'm buying so many tires, or he lets me use his changing rig myself.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree. I would have to be changing a LOT of tires before I would consider it necessary to buy one of these. I also noticed that the dealer uses a machine that is very similar to automotive tire machines, where the tire levers never really touch the rim. With this thing, you still have to run the levers around the rim, and even though they are nylon, I still think that you would have a pretty good chance of boogering up the wheel.

What I would do though, to make removing the wheels easier, is to pick up one of those really cool side mount lifts that pick up the bike from the frame points.
2010 696 ProTune Powermap programmer, EvoTech tail, Quat D Alum slip ons, Artrax wavy rotors, K&N, 14T, bar risers, G2 Throttle Tamer. Still working on swapping all of the black plastic over to carbon fiber. Oh, and no more ugly charcoal canister!
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. My bike is my daily ride and I have very little free time as it is. Unfortunately for me, time is my most precious commodity. Taking the bike somewhere is expensive in LA. (Found a cheap place and they marred my rim. Done with that.) Even when I remove the wheel and take it somewhere, it means I am in the car and sometimes 10 miles is an hour drive (each way) plus the time to wait if they can't get to it, plus the change time (=2.5- 3 hours.) I got ANOTHER nail in the tire, so just to plug from the inside is easier if I can do it myself. Since I won't use a plugged tire at the track, I'll have to switch AGAIN. Then switch back- you get the idea.

I'd rather just have new tires sent to my home and change them on my schedule (late eve) or get up at 5 am and do a change/plug before I head back to work.

With that being said, I don't like to pay any more than I need to. Does anyone have any suggestions on a tire changer that is a good value and works well? If not, I may just suck it up and buy that one. Just thought I'd ask around.

Prices range from $139 to $489 for something I would consider.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=..._id=3222661232

Appreciate the feedback, as always.
07 695 sold
07 CBR1000RR

Last edited by llamadingo; 09-20-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Get some tire irons and do it by hand. Way cheaper. Then you just need a good balancing jig with really good bearings.
Ex-Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

I guess I am the only one with trouble using irons to install an new rear tire...
07 695 sold
07 CBR1000RR
Old 09-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not easy... It IS cheap.

Cheap, Easy, Effective: You only get to pick two.

Tire irons are cheap and effective, not easy.
The machines are Easy and Effective, not cheap.
Ex-Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ex-Buell _ If I have to pick 2, I'd have to choose Easy and Effective. I'm just trying to get good value (vs. "cheap") meaning not paying more than I have to.

Overall, it sounds as if I am in a unique situation and (most) people have not used any manual devices (sauf levers.) Oh well, I thought I'd ask. Appreciate the feedback.

From my own research, it sounds like some of the cheaper ones $90-$150 work well but are primarily used for trailer tires and other steel rims that people don't seem to care about scratching. Also, some of the bars I heard were bending/breaking (made in China)or people making mods to. The NoMar stuff I have not heard any negative reviews in design or usage (with the exception of adding a bungy cord mod to keep something in the up position.)

We have a moto convention here where I have seen the noMar device in action and it looks like it works great (just like the video.) They sell it discounted on loctiojn so I may wait until the next one unless someone knows another way to get a discounted/used.

Thanks
07 695 sold
07 CBR1000RR
Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Aw here is that thread.

A couple of weeks after this one went dark, the local Harley shop put their Coats 220 tire changer up for sale asking a princely sum of $90 so I thought "what the hell, that other guy on the forums wanted one" and bought it.

It's this one, I've had it for about 3 weeks and still haven't used it, just like I thought when I picked it up.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
01 M600, aka, The Pink Monster
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Ducati 250 bevel, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.

Last edited by caferacermike; 11-02-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: picture didn't show up
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

caferacermike - use that tire changer yet? Just looking for some feedback.

I thought about the comments from this thread and for $400-$500 it gave me some pause from the advise given here.

So here I am again two tire changes later and a fresh plug in my bike from yesterday. I found a new changer at $99 free shipping with lots of good reviews. I'm going to pick this up, since at this price point, it will pay for itself in 2 changes. I can give feedback, but probably good to read the 20+ reviews listed here http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...e-Changer.aspx
07 695 sold
07 CBR1000RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement