New 696 Maintenance Schedule & Costs - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New 696 Maintenance Schedule & Costs

I've solicited many opinions on getting into a new Ducati 696, my first bike in decades, and am coming to a crossroads. I am having some reservations on spending full pop on a relatively expensive new bike, when I could get into a similar type (Suzuki SV650) for 1/3 the cost. My desire sits squarely with a new 696 (which I can't get out of my mind) and I can't wait to demo one once I get my endorsement back. Until then, I expect to test the SV650 and compare the thrill factor against the Ducati in a couple of weeks. Something is eating at my mind though, the required maintenance costs.

With new machines, I trust the dealer to perform the required maintenance so I keep my warranty unquestionably intact. I also trust the shop I am considering to have well-trained factory mechanics. I read the new 696 has a more affordable service interval, but what am I really looking at? Can anyone outline the true expenses for me here? I may be comfortable performing a few minor adjustments myself, but will leave most of it for the dealer. I just want to be sure that if I go and purchase an expensive bike, it doesn't soak me later with the upkeep. Note: I won't be hammering this bike like I imagine most of the riders/readers here do, so I don't expect I'll need tires and every week .
mtbjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi MTJBAY,

I had the same questions and up till last year I had an 2003 SV650S and it was replaced by an 09 696. The maintenance on the SV is low. Oil changes, fluid changes, plug changes were all it required. The SV can be fitted with a center stand (SW Motech). The one downside was the slant of the clip ons and the mild vibes which put my right hand to sleep.

The M696 was not chosen for its practical side. It was an emotional choice rather than rational. It does have higher maintenance costs (valve adjustments every 12,000 kms) which cost about $600. The components on the Monster are of better quality than the SV. The best thing about the monster is the grin factor - after several months of owning and riding one, it still puts a huge grin on my face. Bar none, its the funnest bike I've had. It makes all the added cost worth it.

The dealer costs are:
$80 - 120 for an oil change
$700 for the first adjustment at 1,000 kms
$800 for the second adjustment at 12 000 kms
Cube Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

I tried the SV 650 and the 696. The 696 won hands down for handling and braking and power. What a fun bike. Other than the valve adjustments you can probably do all the maint yourself. I did the 600 mile oil change, which only involves replacing the oil, filter, and pulling the strainer screen (14mm hex wrench required). The filter and associated crush washers were about $17.00 and the oil (Mobil One 15W-50 for motorcycles) was $48/gallon. The chain is very easy to adjust if you have a rear stand. I also went over the bike and checked the tightness of most fittings, etc. When finished I took it back to the dealer who gave it a once over and reset the service indicator for no charge. I'm an old guy (62) and have always performed minor mechanical work on my vehicles and bikes. With a bike under warranty I would recommend that the owner only do the routine maint (oil, brake/clutch fluid, chain adjustments), and save the receipts and keep a log.. Other things such as electrical mods, exhaust, etc., leave to the dealer. Once out of warranty, do what you are capable of performing .
wmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Grin Factor

Funny reply. I love it. What's a grin worth? They're priceless, and healthy! I like the advice from the old man... sounds good to me. Keep the dealer in-line until I'm out of warranty period. Can anyone recommend a good how-to tune up website or repair manual? Any other experienced opinions?

Thanks,

MTBJAY
Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

$700 for the first 1000km service?!

All they should be doing is changing the oil and filter, and checking the fluids and chain. $700 seems pretty ridiculous. Can anyone verify this amount?
Ducatistafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default 600 Mile Service

At my dealer its $180. If I change the oil and filter myself, its $40.
elfinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got back from the dealer today and it cost me $195CND, so yeah $180 sounds right.

It's nice to have the service record, and especially from an authorized dealer. Still a ridiculous amount of money for a glorified oil change if you ask me.

thanks for the heads up elfinko
Ducatistafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just had my first service done last week. Cost me 1 hour of shop labour at $80/hour plus the filter/oil.

Was going to do it myself but I had to get the wiring harness recall checked out anyway so got it all done at the same time.

The dealership I got my bike at only charges straight shop time, they don't have any ridiculous set rates for service.
nwo-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Good Feedback

Thanks for all the input everyone. If I drop $10K on the bike, I don't want any surprises. It sounds like rate vary quite a bit from dealer to dealer. I imagine I'll be doing my own oil soon enough to save any exorbitant costs. I'm reading/hearing the maintenance costs are not THAT much more than a Japanese model, mainly the valve jobs. Seems like it's just the price of demosedici motor. I know a guy who does his own...
Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just scheduled my first service on my 696 and they gave me an estimate of 2 hours at $90 an hour! Is there any reason the 600 mile service should ever take more than an hour?
tenwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement