Monster 696-Electrical System Fault? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

» Site Navigation
»
»
»
» Other Ducati Motorcycle sites
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Monster 696-Electrical System Fault?

Yesterday, while riding my bike at about 65 mph on the interstate, I lost all power to/in my electrical system. All gauges/lights on the instrument panel went dead. After coasting to a stop I checked the fuses and all visible cables/wires (including under the seat). Fuses looked good. No cables/wires disconnected. Didn't remove the tank cover, so that's still a possible location for identifying the problem. Anyone had this happen to them or heard of it happening? My bike has less than 4000 miles (bought it new last Aug.). Had scheduled service. No mods to the electrical system. Any ideas?
Thanks, Nick
Obeedobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

You might want to run it by the dealer and have him extract the soft codes from the bike's computer. It will take a Ducati reader to perform the scan.
wmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

FYI: Canada has a recall on the 696 because of some bikes having the main harness misrouted over the rear cylinder causing it to heat up or burn. The US hasn't done
anything about it yet. I checked mine last time the tank was off. All I needed to do
was to secure the engine speed sensor wire, it was laying up against the rear cylinder
fins. Might be worth checking.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Had the bike towed to the dealer where I bought it. Spoke to service tech and asked about main harness issue. He had already checked that and that isn't the problem on my bike. Still a mystery....
Thanks!
Obeedobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

A 1-yr.old ST2 surprised us on a trip about 8 years ago. "Lights out" was the symptom...totally dead. Turned out to be the negative lead on the battery. Could not even see corrosion there, but after cleaning it up and re-tightening, it was god to go.

Luckily, the owner brought along a small 12V test light, which turned tou to be extremely useful in pinpointing this 12V loss!!!
stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

About 2 or so weeks ago, I recieved from Ducati, RECALL BULLETIN RCL-09-001.
It stated that my bike, VIN# ZDM1RADN69B007756,is affected by this recall.
I removed the fuel tank to inspect the routing of the main harrness. Found it be
OK.
But as SPENCER696 stated, I did reroute the eng. speed senor harness so it didn't chafe
the R/H leading edge of the jug.
caliburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

i'm having a firing issue on my 696 which has 6k miles on it.

a few weeks ago the bike just died at a busy intersection as i was on my way to the dealer, and started fueling erratically with no power delivery, followed by a surge. followed by nothing. this continued for 20 miles until i reached the dealer.

they had the bike for 5 days, in which they spoke to ducati. this problem is not the one referenced in the recall. they returned the bike and all was well after they identified a loose connector). in the meantime i had an oil cooler fitted to help out with temperature (which it is).

today, after riding for 160 miles with my wife on her kawasaki ninja 250, we are at a stop light in frederick, MD. and the bike just completely died. i pulled over, let the bike cool down for 10 mins. and started her back up. decided to try and get the bike to my dealer (about 30 miles away). the bike ran like a dog for the next 30 miles, operating on only one cylinder, then coming on strong, then dying without notice. stopped a couple of times & finally managed to get the kangarooing bike to my dealer against all odds.

i'll post a follow up next week after i find out more.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default I know I'm Resurrecting this but.....

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this just happened to me this morning on my way home from work.

I was going 85 on the freeway and my engine died, lights shut off, and gauges went dead. I rolled to a stop in the middle of the freeway and waited for CHP to get me to the side of the road. I tried turning the key a few times, but nothing...the display is dead and no sound from the fuel pump.

The fuses appear to be ok.
Any ideas?
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Can anyone help? I have been trying to start my 696+ this morning and for some reason when you press the start switch it clicks and switches off all of the display and will not start at all. I have checked if has dropped the immobiliser code but hasn't, battery is 10.8 volts so should be okay. Any ideas? It is only 22 months old with 3k.

Any help gratefully recieved!
Monstercath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstercath View Post
Can anyone help? I have been trying to start my 696+ this morning and for some reason when you press the start switch it clicks and switches off all of the display and will not start at all. I have checked if has dropped the immobiliser code but hasn't, battery is 10.8 volts so should be okay. Any ideas? It is only 22 months old with 3k.

Any help gratefully recieved!
Late reply and you probably already have this fixed,but 10.8 volts is not enough.
The open circuit voltage should be 12.4 to 12.6 volts,that's without the engine running of course.
Whitey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement